Twu Survey Update,

Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
About Abernathy/Associates

Abernathy/Associates is a strategic communications firm serving labor groups and non-profit organizations. The company --- which has offices in New York and Washington, DC --- offers a wide range of strategic communications and consulting services:

 Program planning and strategy development;

 Publicity and media relations;

 Issue development for public and membership education campaigns, union organizing drives and ballot initiatives;

 Media and community support strategies for union organizing and contract campaigns and strike support;

 Creation and placement of paid advertising and public service campaigns for radio, television, magazines, newspapers and other media;

 Production of television and videotape programs and presentations;

 Writing, design and production of booklets, brochures, newsletters, newspapers, websites, and collateral materials, as well as direct mail for fundraising and organizing;

 Speechwriting, script writing and media training;

 Design and management of special events, including fundraisers, performances, press events, rallies, marches and receptions.

Labor organizations currently served by Abernathy/Associates include the AFL-CIO, the AFL-CIO/Kaiser Permanente National Partnership, the Service Employees International Union, UNITE!, the Pennsylvania Association of Nurses and Allied Professionals, the AFL-CIO Housing and Building Investment Trusts, the Transport Workers Union and the Utility Workers Union of America. Non-profit clients include the Interfaith Committee for Worker Justice, and the Sierra Club Eductaional Fund.
On the Frontline of the Fight for Social and Economic Justice

Founded in Atlanta, GA in 1978, Abernathy/Associates moved to Washington, DC in 1980 and has since been in the forefront of many major struggles for economic and social justice.

For 23 years, the firm has been a lead consultant to the Service Employees International Union, helping build it into the largest and fastest-growing union in the AFL-CIO. The agency played a vital role in helping elect then-SEIU president John J. Sweeney and his New Voice slate to the top offices in the AFL-CIO in 1995 and now serves as a strategic communications consultant to the Federation.

In 1980, Abernathy/Associates played a leading role in defeating Proposition 9 in California, the Jarvis II ballot initiative that would have slashed the state income tax in half.

In 1981, the agency provided strategic communications services to the first multi-union organizing campaign at Beverly Enterprises, the nursing home giant.

In 1984 and 1985, Abernathy/Associates executed an international publicity campaign around the return of South Korean leader Kim Dae Jung to his home country. The firm also served as public relations counsel for the Run for Democracy on Taiwan sponsored by Taiwanese Americans.

In 1987, the agency was responsible for national publicity for Justice For All, a national coalition of over 100 labor, church, minority and community organizations dedicated to focusing public attention on poverty in the United States.

In 1989 and 1990, Abernathy/Associates provided communications support for the United Mine Workers winning strike against Pittston Coal. In 1992 and 1993, the firm was the lead consultant for the Teamsters community campaign and boycott of Diamond Walnuts.

In 1993, the agency served as strategy and communications consultant for the contract campaign and successful strike by 20,000 flight attendants at American Airlines.

In 1994, the firm was lead consultant for the Teamsters organizing campaign aimed at 10,000 USAir fleetservice workers and was deeply involved on behalf of several clients in the struggle for national health care reform.

In 1995, Abernathy/Associates worked to defeat portions of the Contract for America on behalf of the AFL-CIO, the National Council for Senior Citizens, the American Association of Retired Persons (Social Security and Medicare), the Service Employees Union (wage standards and OSHA), the Bazelon Center (Childrens SSI) and the National Association of Fair Contractors (Davis-Bacon).

In 1996, the firm handled national advertising and publicity for the Steelworkers successful international corporate campaign and strike against Bridgestone/Firestone. In California, the company created and placed free and paid media for three major ballot initiative campaigns: the HMO Patients Rights Initiative, the Living Wage Initiative and the Top Bracket Initiative. In 1997, Abernathy/Associates was lead consultant to the Steelworkers union in its successful strike against Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Corporation and in the USWAs contentious and successful contract negotiations with the Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO).

During 1997, the firm also supported the 5,000 members of the Independent Association of Continental Pilots (IACP) in their struggle to win industry-standard wages and benefits from Continental Airlines, guided the AFL-CIO/Kaiser National Partnership to a successful ratification vote helped launch and guide the Building Trades Las Vegas Organizing Project as well as the Service Employees Columbia/HCA organizing campaign. The same year the firm coordinated publicity for the National Labor Committees anti-sweatshop campaign, a Holiday Season of Conscience. The agency was also charged with publicizing the release of a special report by the Center for Community Change on job creation to support welfare reform.

In 1998, Abernathy/Associates was the membership communications consultant for the AFL-CIOs successful campaign against Prop 226 (Paycheck Protection) in California, for SEIU organizing campaigns at Columbia/HCA and Catholic Health Care West Hospitals and for the Building and Construction Trades Departments REV UP 98 political education project.

In 1999, the firm mounted a publicity campaign that helped produce a landmark organizing victory for the United Union of Roofers over Willis Roofing in Las Vegas, executed a far-reaching media outreach program for workingfamilies.com, the AFL-CIOs new Internet community, and developed new and effective communications models and strategies for organizing nurses and other hospital employees for the Service Employees.

In more recent years, the agency has helped guide several successful organizing campaigns for SEIU, worked with the Maritime Trades Department of the AFL-CIO to launch the Gulf Coast Mariners Association and Offshore Mariners United, helped SEIU Local 1199WKOH win a first contract for nurses in Lorain, OH, and aided the Building and Construction Trades Department in implementing its Temp Workers Deserve a Permanent Voice@Work campaign. The firm has provided publicity, literature, speech writing and other communications support for a wide range of AFL-CIO programs and initiatives, including America Needs A Raise, Union Summer, Ask A Working Woman, Union Cities, Organizing for Change/Changing to Organize, Voice@Work/Freedom to Choose a Union, and the Kaiser/AFL-CIO Partnership. Abernathy/Associates helped the Federation launch the Alliance for Retired Americans, a 2.5 million member seniors organization.

As usual in Amfa's attempt to spread lies and half-truths they fail to do the homework!!! Are you sure you want these individuals to represent your Interests????

Learn the Facts and the Truth will Prevail!!!!!

As usual the twu misrepresented Ray Abernathy as "Abernathy Associates" and now has to try and cover up with Abernathy/Associates.

I agree with Bob Owen's earlier comments.

Why does the TWU need to outsource leadership that will listen to the members?

Pathetic!

So now we know where the TeAAm TWU got the idea for the Tulsa coffin. Note the bottom of the picture- Abernathy/Associates. What a bunch of s@#m bags! :down: :down: :down: :down:

BringEmOn.jpg

Decision 2004 said:
I agree with Bob Owen's earlier comments.

Why does the TWU need to outsource leadership that will listen to the members?

Pathetic!
And gee, why wouldn't you agree with Bob? You're just upset you hadn't thought of that spin first. You guys in competition for an AMFA job? How's that VP position looking Davie?

Nightwatch said:
And gee, why wouldn't you agree with Bob? You're just upset you hadn't thought of that spin first. You guys in competition for an AMFA job? How's that VP position looking Davie?
The question is why wouldnt YOU or anyone else who claims to be a Union man agree with what was said?

You dont feel that its pathetic that the International is sidestepping the Locals to talk to the members?

Bob Owens said:
The question is why wouldnt YOU or anyone else who claims to be a Union man agree with what was said?

You dont feel that its pathetic that the International is sidestepping the Locals to talk to the members?
"You dont feel that its pathetic that the International is sidestepping the Locals to talk to the members?"

What I think is pathetic is you, and yes, you might take that personal. The TWU has hired professionals, wasn't that one of AMFA's selling points to it's dumbfounded listeners? AMFA hires professionals to represent them, that's great. When the TWU hires professionals it's what Bob? Sidestepping the locals? You are a joke, a big joke (no pun intended biggun').

Problem with you Owens is that if by chance you ever do state anything that is credible, we'll pass it up by habit.

Nightwatch said:
You are a joke, a big joke (no pun intended biggun').
The TWU has hired professionals, wasn't that one of AMFA's selling points to it's dumbfounded listeners?

Yes. Professions to represent the members to the company during negotiations so we dont end up with people who write things like "If I was eating a hamburger and you was hungry" or "than what will we do, darned if we do , darned if we don't", writing our contract language.

AMFA hires professionals to represent them, that's great. When the TWU hires professionals it's what Bob? Sidestepping the locals?

Yes. Basically the International is saying that the Local leaders can not represent their members, thats why they are sidestepping the locals and going directly to the members. Isnt that what got the Tulsa E-board so upset when we put the ad in the paper?

Problem with you Owens is that if by chance you ever do state anything that is credible, we'll pass it up by habit.

Apparently what I write is credible enough that the only way you feel you can discredit it is by hurling insults and nonsense.

Bob Owens said:
The TWU has hired professionals, wasn't that one of AMFA's selling points to it's dumbfounded listeners?

Yes. Professions to represent the members to the company during negotiations so we dont end up with people who write things like "If I was eating a hamburger and you was hungry" or "than what will we do, darned if we do , darned if we don't", writing our contract language.

AMFA hires professionals to represent them, that's great. When the TWU hires professionals it's what Bob? Sidestepping the locals?

Yes. Basically the International is saying that the Local leaders can not represent their members, thats why they are sidestepping the locals and going directly to the members. Isnt that what got the Tulsa E-board so upset when we put the ad in the paper?

Apparently what I write is credible enough that the only way you feel you can discredit it is by hurling insults and nonsense.
Yep, 'ol earl steve knows alot about them professionals. He sees one once a week where he lays on the big leather reclinin' chair and waxes poetic about the days gone by when he tried out for the Herman Munster role.

Earl steve almost made it to the big time, but they caught him in the bathroom eating a big white mint from a urinal. Confused about all the fussin', Earl tried to explain that they eat 'em all the time at home, cuz they ain't nearly as much as the real mint ones at the store.

So now Earls' acting days are over in Hollywood. Earl steve keeps the fire lit by acting as a obtuse unlicensed mechanic that is holding on to the dream that he will, one day, strap on that management tie and be a leader of....... well, something.

NO VOTE? NO PEACE!!!!

That's nice Earl, I have heard you like men in leather, but not leather jackets. Too bad you and your twu tough guys did'nt have the balls to come in the Brady. Oh that's right, we would'nt let you in with your signs and your coffin. Maybe next time.

If you can't tell, I don't like being called a scab, especially by a known felon and a failed ex-management geek. I never have and never will cross a picket line. Too bad you can't say that about your beloved twu International and some of its members.

I feel your frustration earl. Being at a failed carrier for so many years and remaining an unlicensed mechanic all that time. I hope to see you at the next meeting, that is if MCIE makes it thru the next round of concessions and layoffs this fall.

NO VOTE? NO PEACE!!!!

Man, you got a face like a chipmunk. What you got in them cheeks... I think I know where those balls went you keep talking about. And with a mug like that you would feel frustration alright, pretty much daily I bet.

Did you get that jacket off brother Dan?

Wow Hackman you one mean dude...!!!! I here you like to lift weights. You know I used to be a weight lifter too, but have since retired from the sport. Are you one of those that get their jollies off of doing Steriods? With your temperment, you may be due another cycle!!! You know when you come down it really sucks, and can be a contributer to fits of rage that you seem to display.

I too see you have a real problem with them unlicensed Mechanics don't ya...!!! Well I should tell you a little something about them sorry High Skilled Unlicensed S.O.B.'s...! Because I am one of them.....See Below

With no Blue Print there is no me. With no me, there is no Airplane. With no Airplane, there is no "HACKMAN"....!!!!!!!

--------------------------------
AMFA: The YUGO of the labor movement
Where bargaining means YOU GO....!

HEE,HEE, H.S.S good one but i REALLY think you went over hacks head
one reason is 'cause he has it up his AS_ like all the other amfa(puke) scabs do.
that tony b guy has a problem too. if i hated my job, my co workers as much as he does i would take my a&p and leave but, O one problem there.
go to the street & tell someone you have an a&p they say HUH???? so what?
this rusty guy too he talks about "integrity" but, in same breath wants to destroy peoples lives & communities they live in by trying to BUST a UNION.
that tfc jerk calls "abernathy group" union busters what the HEL_ does he think amfa(puke) is???
O yeah this buck dude all of a sudden becomes c/c somewhere & he becomes cc 180 & has stayed @ AA for 20 yrs taking what he calls "give backs" ? whats w/that?
becoming cc gives him more $ to dump into his busted scab local in TUL.

have any of you sorry bunch of scabs ever read a book called "cleared for take off"
you talk about union busters one of your own mr. martin seham was involved in union bustin' way back & you buch of SCABS have him on your side yea!!!! :)

O little princess kissas_ the pix of you is just ADORABLE nice tail :) now i know what a woman? scab looks like
hey dAAve keep posted i have a pix for you to use. you have my permission.
"WHAT PART OF UNION DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND" i love it don't you? :)
check this out too.............. :)
TWU/AFL/CIO/ATD=SCAB FREE.......BACK TO THE BASICS (HUH!!)
love as always amfa(puke) sucks.....dAAve can hear it, huh dAAve.

Latest posts