TWU to Open Talks for New Contract With AA

FA Mikey

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
miami
goldwatermiller08.com
The union representing more than 27,000 ground workers at American Airlines said Monday it will open negotiations for a new contract with the nation's largest airline.

The Transport Workers Union didn't publicize its demands, but the union noted that American's parent company, AMR Corp., earned a profit last year and has seen its stock price rise 8-fold since 2003.

The union said ground workers deserve some credit for the turnaround by increasing productivity and taking on maintenance work from other airlines.

"The gains are there, it's time to share," said James C. Little, the union's international president who led the TWU group at Fort Worth-based American for several years.

The union said it expected negotiations to begin in November.

Interesting to see what the TWU will be asking for from AA, and what AA will be asking from the TWU.
We've never asked in the past, just take whatever crumbs they want to give us. Being that in addition to the maintenance $300+ million we gave them in 2003, we have given over $1 billion in productivity increases and third-party revenue, etc, etc, etc., I would expect nothing less than the all concessions returned and 5 years worth of cost of living percentage raise, plus future raises. Anything less would be a complete failure on the twu's part.

Well, well, well.......and it begins. Hold on to your hats!!!

Interesting is an understatement AMFAMAN!!!

The twu is now in a "Position of Strength". I expect all the concessions back, and as AMFAMAN stated, 5-6 years of cost of living, and yearly raises afterward.

The twu likes to claim they are a real union, time to see it. :rolleyes:

Lets see if the twu can break the 25 years of concessions sellouts without AMFA's help.

Can't wait for this.... ;) :unsure:

What we would like to have back and what we can get back are two different things. It is easy to sit back and demand because emotions are high and expectations are high. And please do not get me wrong, I want it ALL back just like you do but to do so we must maintain our "position" and God forbid get vigilante like a lot of you here probably want to. I know my opinions on this board are not worth much so for that reason alone I expect to get drilled on this subject.

I do expect the TWU to get back all that we can but I cannot say that I expect all that we gave up at this point. Closer to November it will be easier to predict and realistically expect.

Fire away..........

AMFAMAN,

Are you that close to retirement? I ask because you'd have to have such little time left that you could ask for those demands and expect no reprecussions. However, you likely would be worse off as AMR would start losing boatloads of cash again and likely end up bankrupt. Then again, maybe you went to the Charlie Bryan school of negotiating. Get the best you can...damn the end result. You'll be proud to know that you have a great contract with a company out of business. Kind of like TWA...their employee groups held the line on RJ's and boy did they win!

two things that costs the company nothing is our 10 days of sick time and our week of vacation.

If you get hurt at this job you are on your own unless you have some sick time.

As far as vacation goes the company is paying you weather you are hear or on vacation.

Maybe the vacation will encourage people not to call in sick for a week to make up for the one they took away :rolleyes:

AMFAMAN,

Are you that close to retirement? I ask because you'd have to have such little time left that you could ask for those demands and expect no reprecussions. However, you likely would be worse off as AMR would start losing boatloads of cash again and likely end up bankrupt. Then again, maybe you went to the Charlie Bryan school of negotiating. Get the best you can...damn the end result. You'll be proud to know that you have a great contract with a company out of business. Kind of like TWA...their employee groups held the line on RJ's and boy did they win!
Not even close to retirement, but the fact is maintenance is giving this company $1.3 billion+ a year in savings, etc, asking for around $400 million a year back isn't a whole lot.

BTW...I would much rather suscribed to the Charlie Bryan way of negotiating then watch the pathetic limp wristed unions we have these days who subscribe to the theory that failure is not an option. Let the rank and file go bankrupt, keep the company afloat. :down:

Why wait until November to commmnce these talks but annouce it now?

Easy, try to ease the Management Bone-us uproar, nothing more, nothing less.

Company Union still playing mind games.

Do they really think we are that stupid?

We could have 11 months of the lengthy NMB/RLA process behind us by the time November gets here.

When has the TWU ever announced intended negotiations for a new contract 11 months before the talks are to begin? Answer..NEVER

Why wait until November to commmnce these talks but annouce it now?

Easy, try to ease the Management Bone-us uproar, nothing more, nothing less.

Company Union still playing mind games.

Do they really think we are that stupid?
Could be wrong, but last time I checked I thought the contract called for openers to be exchanged 6 months prior to the amendable date which is April 15, 2008. So 6 months prior would be November 2007. ;)

Could be wrong, but last time I checked I thought the contract called for openers to be exchanged 6 months prior to the amendable date which is April 15, 2008. So 6 months prior would be November 2007. ;)

So why announce NOW? And why dont the Pilots have to wait? What you are saying is this not really news, it is more like a PR statement.

Also, the concessions we gave were not negotiated within 6 months of amendable date! Not by a long a shot!

Informer, you are so freakin' paranoid it's scary. True pessimist you are! There's not a damn thing that can be done about those payouts (NOT bonuses) and everyone knows that. You are just diverting again! Another one of your MOs! :ph34r:

Face it, the TWU is taking a stand and you can't stand it! And when the TWU comes back with a good contract you will AGAIN credit someone else.

Latest posts