UA On Its Own...Is it Possible?

Big news to be sure, but as I originally posted at the beginning of this thread, certainly not unexpected. While I thought this would've come another month or so later, if you're going to go forward with it, then this shows that they're at least making the decisions necessary that are needed to survive and compete.

What this also will signal, I believe, is that the other legacy's will soon be announcing somewhat similar decisions as well. Remember, the price of oil doesn't care what the name is on the side of the aircraft, it affects everyone. I'd mentioned something earlier on another post about "rationalizing the narrow-body fleet" and that this could've been one outcome of an earlier proposed UAL/LCC merger. Now that that's not going to happen I believe we're seeing what UAL has been espousing for years....a single narrow-body fleet structure. Years ago the planners saw this as a 5-10 process but one that would be made and would reap benefits (efficiency/scheduling/crew training/etc.)

Okay, so now it's upon us today or soon for sure. Take the hit early, be ahead of the rest of the industry in this and recover. Makes sense. Gonna hurt in the short term though. Just for something to ponder......as per the most recent manpower report the current 737 operation utilizes
477 CAPs/492 F/Os. Ouch!!!

Cheers,
Z B)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Z ",

Sorry to see it "go down" this hard,...BUT..(you know it, and I know it),..That sometimes it's necessary to have to take a dose of NASTY medicine, for the...(better) Long run !

And as someone just recently said, ....."OK it's our(UA's) turn "in the barrel",......but as we climb out,............WHO's "NEXT" :shock: :shock:

He has no idea why. He confuses his feelings of nostalgia with reality and the reality is in about 6 months, NW will cease to exist. Next.

"YA..RIGHT"...(luv).

Ed Bastain can TRY to convince the world that...."the MOON is made of Green Cheese", or that DL is DEFINETLY commited to the TAKEOVER, all he wants !

Truth IS, ....you BETTER hope that OIL doesn't go from last weeks high of $135, up to around $150, or beyond,...............because you'll have a greater chance of seein' JESUS CHRIST,......than BIG RED !!! :shock:

ps,

I just Cashed my DEFINED BENEFIT pension check for May/08 yesterday.

Hows YOUR'S looking these days ???? :rant: :rant: :rant:

Oh, excuse ME, I'm just probably being delusional again, Right ?

And as someone just recently said, ....."OK it's our(UA's) turn "in the barrel",......but as we climb out,............WHO's "NEXT" :shock: :shock:

NHBB,

Thanks for the note. Yeah, more pain coming down the pike for those of us at UAL and I think the rest of the industry as well. UAL just put out it's PR release outlining the cuts acoming. Yipes!!!! Much more belt tightening and head rolling going on at WHQ. A surprise to me is the departure (firing?) of Sean Donohue, senior vice president-Flight Operations and Onboard Service. In my view and dealings a very honest and straight-forward guy. Sorry to see him go. Not sure what this portends.

In my view there are several ways to view UAL's culling of the narrow-body fleet:

1. Hard decision but the right one given industry fuel costs/economic downturn.

2. Unilateral disarmament.....won't help (much) unless the rest of the industry goes along with it.

3. Part of a broader plan to unload 737's and later take the 40+ A320's UAL has on deferred delivery status with Airbus, thereby creating a more efficient operation. (Longshot!)

I think we'll know more regarding the rest of the industry shortly. I feel other's will follow a similar path. Not sure the DAL/NWA deal WITH the current fleet plan makes sense any longer. Anderson has committed to no downsizing/hub closures for two years. Going to be hard to do with fuel where it is today.

At any rate, a lot of people will be getting pink slips shortly, and that's just those 1,500-1,600 from within the halls at WHQ. The other fallout will be approximately a 1,000 UAL pilots and untold thousands of F/A's who will also be hitting the streets later this year. Best of luck to all.

Cheers,
Z B)

Still a MUCH better scenario than merging with US Airways.
Agreed 100%. A merger MIGHT have bought the company some time. Maybe enough for the real senior US employees to finish their careers. But in the long run the integration would have pulled both companies down, and at some point in the future we'd be right where we are today. I'd rather take our lumps now. Our problems, our employees, our solutions, our recovery, and ultimately our success.

Okay, so now it's upon us today or soon for sure. Take the hit early, be ahead of the rest of the industry in this and recover. Makes sense. Gonna hurt in the short term though. Just for something to ponder......as per the most recent manpower report the current 737 operation utilizes
477 CAPs/492 F/Os. Ouch!!!

Cheers,
Z B)
I agree with this as well. Every airline out their will be dealing with this in a similar fashion. BTW, Spirit just announced it plans to furlough 60% of their f/a's and 45% of their pilots. UA's 737 pilot count of 969 certainly will hurt. And the cost of retraining will be significant. I think that ini the past we have shown that we can mitigate the effects of furloughs through creative means. (ie: surplus reduction lines, leaves of absence, etc.) I am going to brace for around 700-800 furloughs though. I feel the worst for the new hires who left other jobs and resigned seniority there to come to UA.

I think we'll know more regarding the rest of the industry shortly. I feel other's will follow a similar path. Not sure the DAL/NWA deal WITH the current fleet plan makes sense any longer. Anderson has committed to no downsizing/hub closures for two years. Going to be hard to do with fuel where it is today.

Cheers,
Z B)

I think you will see DL and NW announce fleet reductions and restructuring prior to completion of the merge. Most if not all of NW's dc-9's and a number of MD-80's in addition to the ones already announced.
In addition, the DCI carriers are going to take an even bigger hit with the 50 seat RJ's.

I think you will see DL and NW announce fleet reductions and restructuring prior to completion of the merge. Most if not all of NW's dc-9's and a number of MD-80's in addition to the ones already announced.
In addition, the DCI carriers are going to take an even bigger hit with the 50 seat RJ's.

Unlike many of its competitors, DL has been very busy cutting capacity for the past several years. ;)
Beginning the with closing of the DFW hub; the downsizing of CVG & LAX; the ellimination of the Pacific flying out of PDX and the ground of SONG. During Bankruptcy DL elliminated some flying and returned acft to lessors, it also began shifting wide bodies from domestic to international thus further reducing domestic capacity. Most of the new domestic flying has been RJ, so I think that on the heels of the reduction in flying just announced, any further reductions will be in the RJ category. I have heard rumors that the NW DC-9s may be kept and used to replace some RJ flying on some routes.

Unlike many of its competitors, DL has been very busy cutting capacity for the past several years. ;)
Beginning the with closing of the DFW hub; the downsizing of CVG & LAX; the ellimination of the Pacific flying out of PDX and the ground of SONG. During Bankruptcy DL elliminated some flying and returned acft to lessors, it also began shifting wide bodies from domestic to international thus further reducing domestic capacity. Most of the new domestic flying has been RJ, so I think that on the heels of the reduction in flying just announced, any further reductions will be in the RJ category. I have heard rumors that the NW DC-9s may be kept and used to replace some RJ flying on some routes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh JESUS,....................Stop it "Chucky", your killin' me with your DL Humor !!

DUDE,............You need to be in show business, on comedy TV.

DL "closing down" DFW ??...AA CLOSED it DOWN for them, and ran their MONEY Losing A$$'s out of the Metroplex.

DL "discontinuing" International flying out of "PORTLAND OREGON"
(Dude.............STOP IT. You got me pee-ing my pants)
DL going into PDX was then, and still WILL BE one of the DUMBEST moves by any of the 5 legacy carriers !
An ABSOLUTE Comical BLUNDER....(then again, it WAS the only way that the "Heavy Hitters" from ATL, could get their LONE route into NRT.)

DL has had some REAL honest to goodness CLOWNS, running the Show in HOT-LANTA.
I mean, I'd take Doug Parker, and Kirby, over Ron Allen :down: , and Leo(the light bulb) Mullin :blink:

name='NewHampshire Black Bears' date='Jun 5 2008, 12:33 AM' post='613800']

Oh JESUS,....................Stop it "Chucky", your killin' me with your DL Humor !!

DL "closing down" DFW ??...AA CLOSED it DOWN for them, and ran their MONEY Losing A$$'s out of the Metroplex.

DL going into PDX was then, and still WILL BE one of the DUMBEST moves by any of the 5 legacy carriers !
An ABSOLUTE Comical BLUNDER....(then again, it WAS the only way that the "Heavy Hitters" from ATL, could get their LONE route into NRT.)

I mean, I'd take Doug Parker, and Kirby, over Ron Allen :down: , and Leo(the light bulb) Mullin :blink:
[/quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bn241069.jpg

My airlines better than yours!!

Up late at night chugging the AA koolaid again Bear? :lol: :lol: My point was totally lost on you, but then again that's not surprising since those thick AA goggles you wear won't let you see what's really going down. Your obsession with DL/NW is puzzling in lieu of that fact that there is so much to worry about over at AA :eek:

P.S. How's that shrine for "Uncle Bobby" comming along?

Shrine_front.jpg

name='NewHampshire Black Bears' date='Jun 5 2008, 12:33 AM' post='613800']

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bn241069.jpg

My airlines better than yours!!

Up late at night chugging the AA koolaid again Bear? :lol: :lol: My point was totally lost on you, but then again that's not surprising since those thick AA goggles you wear won't let you see what's really going down. Your obsession with DL/NW is puzzling in lieu of that fact that there is so much to worry about over at AA :eek:

P.S. How's that shrine for "Uncle Bobby" comming along?

Shrine_front.jpg
come on guys...
you are all killing me. too
ok my prediction

first chapt 7

hm...
UAUA...
all thinking you dont need to merge w/ LCC...

you are on your last leg...

actually...
your only leg...

so sorry....

you should have taken the bite the first time around when they tried to meger...

so sorry

RIP :ph34r:

You can bite that apple yourself.

Analysts have developed an estimated fall order – should current condition continue with no change in the business models they see the airlines collapsing in this order.

1. US Airways
2. North West
3. American/United (positions 3 &4 are a toss up in their view)
4. American/United
5. Delta
6. Continental
7. South West (has the highest costs in the industry & just took out a $680mil loan to weather the storm).

So no, I'm happy we didn't go near US Airways, may you rest in peace. :cold:

first chapt 7

hm...
UAUA...
all thinking you dont need to merge w/ LCC...

you are on your last leg...

actually...
your only leg...

so sorry....

you should have taken the bite the first time around when they tried to meger...

so sorry

RIP :ph34r:
Sounds like sour grapes to me. Are we a little disappointed that the US/UA merger didn't happen?

If UA is so bad off, why would you even want to merge with us? Could it be that US is in even worse shape and that was your last hope to buy more time?

Looks like most industry analysts and experts seem to disagree with your assessment, as Fly points out above.

The merger is dead. Get over it and move on. Now we are each going to have to do whatever is necessary to survive. I'm confident our company will do just that. How about you?

Why does'nt Tilton follow CO's lead and forego his pay. He and the entire senior management need to take huge pay cuts with Tilton foregoing his salary and bonus for this year. No one person needs to earn the amount of money he does. It is shameful and greedy. How this man can even step foot in church on Sundays is beyond me. Devine providence needs to step in and do something about this.

Back