UAL - CAL Merger

wwiiairliner

Jan 27, 2003
Delta's business plan was leaked out today. UAL and CAL have been meeting over the weekend. Merger news due on Monday.

UA and CO have been talking off and on for months. I don't see how DL's leaking their business plan would push UA and CO to go public with a merger proposal. If anything. DL filing a POR as a stand-alone entity would seem to buy UA and CO some breathing room and time.

i think they're waiting to see what reaction/mood of the creditors are after they file their plan. Also, if it appears DL can't win alone, they may very well return Tilton's call to discuss a friendlier merger.

if UA and CAL comes to fruition, i vote for the United name (of course), CAL management, based in CHICAGO

i think they're waiting to see what reaction/mood of the creditors are after they file their plan. Also, if it appears DL can't win alone, they may very well return Tilton's call to discuss a friendlier merger.

if UA and CAL comes to fruition, i vote for the United name (of course), CAL management, based in CHICAGO

Absolutely!

I agree. Just because Delta filed a POR and claims their plan as a stand-alone carrier is better than the US merger offer, doesn't mean that is what will happen. It's Delta's creditors that have to be convinced. And I would expect that US would sweeten their offer if needed. This show is far from over.

I agree. Just because Delta filed a POR and claims their plan as a stand-alone carrier is better than the US merger offer, doesn't mean that is what will happen. It's Delta's creditors that have to be convinced. And I would expect that US would sweeten their offer if needed. This show is far from over.

At this point, DAL is fighting to stay a stand alone company, and DOJ/DOT have not even begun to examine. Add that to employee issues, fleet issues, and big debt.

DAL/Uair is not dead, but it looks like a long shot. A much higher bid could improve their odds. Parker, get out your checkbook or check out of the merger hotel...

JBG

Delta's business plan was leaked out today. UAL and CAL have been meeting over the weekend. Merger news due on Monday.
Could you clarify which Monday you are referring to?

The date of your post seems to imply Monday, 12/18/06, but here it is, Wednesday, 12/20/06. Oops!

Guess you need better sources.

One thing to keep in mind is that Delta may not have a choice when it comes to accepting US Airways offer. Reports have been circulating for weeks that NW is on the verge of announcing a merger. And given how unusually quiet AA has been since this whole US/DL deal was announced, I'd bet that AA and NW are looking at getting together. And of course we have the much-talked about CO/UA merger talks. So if 1 or both of those deals are announced, it could force DL management into accepting the US offer, simply from a competitive fear standpoint.