Ual To Hire 2000 Flight Attendants

Really?...why how generous of you. :up:

Well at least UA would NOT have stapled us. APFA is not a real Union...I call it a closed shop i.e faternity/serority. What is done is done and their respect for us is disgraceful to all of our loyal members of a REAL UNION.

In 1993 I walked the line with APFA with a friend who is a f/a at AA. So much for Unity.

Do you recall a vote to give away our scope clause? We were promised fair and eqitable intergration. :shock:

Well at least UA would NOT have stapled us. APFA is not a real Union...I call it a closed shop i.e faternity/serority. What is done is done and their respect for us is disgraceful to all of our loyal members of a REAL UNION.

In 1993 I walked the line with APFA with a friend who is a f/a at AA. So much for Unity.

Do you recall a vote to give away our scope clause? We were promised fair and eqitable intergration. :shock:
How do you know that UA AFA would not have stapled you? Remember all the acrimony between the UA F/As and USAir F/As (who had high seniority like the TWA F/As)? And these two groups are both AFA. Just look at what is happening between the US and HP F/As on the US forum; they are already at each other's throats. Given that you were not AFA, you more than likely you would have had the same fate at UA that you have at AA. In desperation, your union leadership, the IAM, made a deal with the devil (Carty) to give away your scope even though EVERYONE involved knew that AA or Carty had no legal authority to compel the APFA to do anything with regards to seniority.

How do you know that UA AFA would not have stapled you? Remember all the acrimony between the UA F/As and USAir F/As (who had high seniority like the TWA F/As)? And these two groups are both AFA. Just look at what is happening between the US and HP F/As on the US forum; they are already at each other's throats. Given that you were not AFA, you more than likely you would have had the same fate at UA that you have at AA. In desperation, your union leadership, the IAM, made a deal with the devil (Carty) to give away your scope even though EVERYONE involved knew that AA or Carty had no legal authority to compel the APFA to do anything with regards to seniority.

Since the IAM and AFA were both AFL-CIO Unions and they do not staple....perhaps dove-tailed the seniority list. UA and US would have never punched the staple gun.

Perhaps someone at AFA can explain the contract about mergers or aquistions and how the combined seniority list would be combined with another airline..be it AFA or AFL-CIO related unions.

I do not want to start a war here. I just want to hear how AFA deals with mergers or aquistions in their by-laws.

Inquiring minds would like to know. I just want to hear from the UA f/a's on their thoughts. We know how you think APFA.

Warning: Off-topic Dead Horse Beating. :rolleyes:

For Christ's sake, can't this dead horse be beaten on the AA forum? Or better yet, can't this dead horse be mercifully left the hell alone?

One union screwed another union, in one union's opinion. Holy Cow!! Whodathunkit was possible?!?

FWIW, what happened to the TWA FAs is very unfortunate. But AA didn't plan on furloughing all of the TWA FAs at the outset. Had AA not wanted the FAs, it simply would have not made them job offers in early 2001.

AFA's policy of a merger between two AFA represented carriers is date of hire (DOH).

I'm not sure if DOH would stand a merger between an AFA and non-AFA carrier. If not, a merger between a AFA and non-AFA carrier would most likely be subject to some sort of integration, something like when UA acquired the PAA pacific routes. The 1202 PAA flight attendants kept their company seniority for passes etc, and were given an adjusted seniority number to integrate into the new combined seniority list. Every ex-PAA flight attendant I know is, overall, somewhat satisfied with how they were integrated, all things considered.

AFA's policy of a merger between two AFA represented carriers is date of hire (DOH).

I'm not sure if DOH would stand a merger between an AFA and non-AFA carrier. If not, a merger between a AFA and non-AFA carrier would most likely be subject to some sort of integration, something like when UA acquired the PAA pacific routes. The 1202 PAA flight attendants kept their company seniority for passes etc, and were given an adjusted seniority number to integrate into the new combined seniority list. Every ex-PAA flight attendant I know is, overall, somewhat satisfied with how they were integrated, all things considered.
But how would they have fared if everything that has happened since 9/11/01 had happened right after UAL got those routes?

Having been through two airline mergers where Date-of-Hire prevailed, in my experience I think it is the fairest and most equitable way to integrate work groups. Usually, what happens, is the rank-and-file go into fear mode thinking that their covetted flying will be taken away by someone more senior. The reality is, is that MOST people aren't going to uproot their lives to chase the flying (we know how cyclical it can be at each base). Furthermore, the rank-and-file tend to forget that the A LOT more flying is inherited with any acquisition and so it all balances out. Having said that, yes, it is truly unfortunate what happened to the good folks at TWA and is precisely why the AFA has D.O.H incorporated into its by-laws. At the recent BOD meeting in Palm Springs, the MEC at America West put forth an agenda item to amend the by-laws with regard to D.O.H. It was resoundingly defeated, as it should.

It would be great to have the experience, wisdom, dedication, and professionalism of the TWA folks in our ranks at UAL and hope many of those still on furlough at AA will seize the opportunity to make our skies a bit friendlier (TWA Skyliner, that includes you). :up:

It would be great to have the experience, wisdom, dedication, and professionalism of the TWA folks in our ranks at UAL and hope many of those still on furlough at AA will seize the opportunity to make our skies a bit friendlier (TWA Skyliner, that includes you). :up:

Thanks for including me JAMAKE1! (er I guess) And thank you for you kind words about TWA. We did have some great folks with a great love for aviation and history. We obviously thought that we could give AA that loyalty...they obviously thought otherwise.
Many of my friends have gone to jetBlue, Frontier, World, AE etc. and now they'll have the opportunity to go with United, another great pioneer. I'm only 41 but I think my days in aviation are over. I did the 6 f/a's in the NY apartment when I was young. Maybe I'll go back to AA if they recall... who knows. As much as I miss flying, and the unconventional craziness of the lifestyle, I just dont want to start over. UA will be very fortunate to hire some of our great flight attendants. Good luck to all!

HI fellow flying partners at UA, I went through the online application and received a message saying someone will be contacting me in the next few days to set up an interview date. Is that a nice way of saying "thanks but no thanks"? Also, do you know if Malay is considered as a foreign language needed by UAL on the application? I grew up in East Malaysia sepaking and studying Malay, and we spoke Mandarin Chinese and FUkkien dialect at home, and I'm now learning to read Mandarin. I am currently flying for a regional AFA carrier but with 7K applicatioins, am I lost in the shuffle?

Thanks for any and all tips.
:huh:

United Airlines suspends flight attendant hiring
Wed Nov 16, 2005 05:16 PM ET
LOS ANGELES, Nov 16 (Reuters) - United Airlines (UALAQ.OB: Quote, Profile, Research) on Wednesday said it will temporarily suspend taking applications for flight attendant positions due to "tremendous response" to its recent hiring program.
The company said it received more than 16,700 online applications within the first three days. United plans to hire about 2,000 flight attendants in 2006, with positions initiating in Chicago and Washington, D.C.

===========================================
looks like United got a sufficient number of applicants to hire the 2000 they need. good luck to everyone who applied.

HI fellow flying partners at UA, I went through the online application and received a message saying someone will be contacting me in the next few days to set up an interview date. Is that a nice way of saying "thanks but no thanks"? Also, do you know if Malay is considered as a foreign language needed by UAL on the application? I grew up in East Malaysia sepaking and studying Malay, and we spoke Mandarin Chinese and FUkkien dialect at home, and I'm now learning to read Mandarin. I am currently flying for a regional AFA carrier but with 7K applicatioins, am I lost in the shuffle?

Thanks for any and all tips.
:huh:

I received the same reply after going through the application process and I did this when it opened. I am guessing that they will contact us after all they are hiring 2000 f/a's. I know they are hiring the locals from DCA and ORD first and they have already interviewed these applicants.

Give it a few more day's. Can you imagine calling all these applicants since Sunday to schedule a interview? They may just have five people in HR doing this or SPA f/a's.

I received the same reply after going through the application process and I did this when it opened. I am guessing that they will contact us after all they are hiring 2000 f/a's. I know they are hiring the locals from DCA and ORD first and they have already interviewed these applicants.

Give it a few more day's. Can you imagine calling all these applicants since Sunday to schedule a interview? They may just have five people in HR doing this or SPA f/a's.

I also received the same response... I wonder if there is a contact number where we could check the status of the app ourselves? I don't remember having to give our location in the app process, just name, email and phone number as I recall - I'm expecting we should hear something in the next few weeks at least...

Being a furloughed US f/a for 3 1/2 years, I think I'm just a lil' impatient for a response... I HATE being on pins & needles waiting...

Let's cross our fingers!

Scotty

Back