United Mechanics Contract

Bob Owens said:
If the NMB does not release the parties I think that the IBT should sue and the workers should engage in CHAOS. In fact I think all airline workers should. The fact is the NMB has to have grounds to keep them in negotiations, these negotiations have been going on for six years. What would be their basis for not releasing them? How could they claim that further mediation with nothing at stake for the company would result in an agreement  when after 6 years they have not? Normally they claim that the company's offer should go to a vote first, which it did, and the members rejected it by 93%. Its time we stopped acting like we have no power and must simply comply with people who have screwed us time and time again. The NMBs track record is not good. Did they hold EAL and the IAM? NO. Did the hold NWA and AMFA? Yes when the union was demanding fair increases and in a position to get them but then NO when the company was demanding huge concessions. The NMB has shown that they only extend mediation when the Union is in a position to make gains and expedite release when the company is in a position to take concessions. The pattern is undeniable. With the airlines recording multi-billion $ profits to continue this biased behavior only invites and justifies the workers resorting to CHAOS and wildcats. 6 years by any measure is an inordinately long time to negotiate.
I agree. The NMB should have no moral of even Legal justification for not releasing these people to engage in self help or strike. This issue could become a litmus to discover if we still live in a free society or just slaves to Capitalism.

Bob note how often even our own members use the term "Market Rate" That implies that we have no control over what the Market determines our pay should be. I never bought in to that notion. The reality is as Union members we should demand from the market what WE want to be compensated especially if what's being asked is reasonable and available.

If the Market determined our compensation then the FACT wouldn't exist that according to BLS stats Union members on average make $800.00 more per month than our non Union counterparts Nationwide.

Bob, C'mon. The ibt don't have the balls to ask for the release. They are the ones that allowed the nego's of a combined company go 6 years with both carriers having the same union. Is this a sign of how long the nego's will go at AA? You guys better hope not.

They are in JCBA talks, not Section 6, you cant strike in JCBA negotiations, they arent in Section 6.

swamt said:
Bob, C'mon. The ibt don't have the balls to ask for the release. They are the ones that allowed the nego's of a combined company go 6 years with both carriers having the same union. Is this a sign of how long the nego's will go at AA? You guys better hope not.
If you want people to support you and your group as it struggles to get a fair contract with SWA you need to learn to support EVERY group that is trying to get the same.

"Mechanics overwhelmingly voted on Tuesday to authorize a strike at United. The union will petition the National Mediation Board for a strike release."

http://teamsterair.org/node/2418

And once again they can't strike, they are not in Section 6 Negotiations.

Show me the amendable date on what they are negotiating?

Oh wait they don't have a JCBA nor an amendable date for a JCBA.

Did you read what I replied to him?

No airline has negotiated a JCBA and a stand alone Section 6 at the same time and no union has either, it's either JCBA Or Section 6.

We, didn't Doug want the IAM and TWU to enter JCBA talks at the new AA?

Didn't the TWU support the IAM in stand alone Section 6 before going into JCBA Negotiations?

Look at the PMUS pilots, they worked under separate CBAs for about 10 years, so there is no JCBA requirements under the RLA.

No section 6 no strike.

The IBT still negotiated two separate and stand alone CBAs, one for the mechanics at CO and one for the mechanics at UA.

Do you know CO was hiring mechanics while UA was laying off and those UA mechanics were not absorbed into CO.

While the same happened with FAs and the union and company agreed to absorb the UA FAs into CO, with restrictions and conditions and they negotiated a Section 6 for the PMCO FAs before they entered into JCBA negotiations.

WeAAsles said:
If you want people to support you and your group as it struggles to get a fair contract with SWA you need to learn to support EVERY group that is trying to get the same.

"Mechanics overwhelmingly voted on Tuesday to authorize a strike at United. The union will petition the National Mediation Board for a strike release."

http://teamsterair.org/node/2418

I do support the "group" that is trying to get the same, The mechanics group. I DO NOT support the teamsters in any way shape or form.  

I heard from a friend that some UA pilots in uniform were out picketing with the mechanics at IAH . Well done! Thank you to those gentlemen. 

Yes. Glad to hear. We will be joining our Pilots at a later event planned.  They wanted the first couple events with the Pilots only, but will allow us to help support at other planned events in the future.  

D7571987 said:
I heard from a friend that some UA pilots in uniform were out picketing with the mechanics at IAH . Well done! Thank you to those gentlemen. 
More than likely, those would be pre-merger Continental pilots.  CO's unions always did seem to work together on issues all the years I lived in Houston.

700UW said:
And once again they can't strike, they are not in Section 6 Negotiations.

Once released (minus a PEB) we most certainly can strike. Both sUA and sCAL agreements are beyond their amendable dates and our JCBA talks are filed under Section 6.

ThirdSeatHero said:

Once released (minus a PEB) we most certainly can strike. Both sUA and sCAL agreements are beyond their amendable dates and our JCBA talks are filed under Section 6.
You arent in Section 6

Show me where the amendable date is on the JCBA, oh wait, you dont have a JCBA.

Section 6 clearly states you have to exchange openers 60 days prior to the amendable date.

You dont have a JCBA nor and amendable date on a JCBA, UA and CO are still working under two separate CBAs, not a joint one.

Might want to contact the NMB about that.

700UW said:
You arent in Section 6

Show me where the amendable date is on the JCBA, oh wait, you dont have a JCBA.

Section 6 clearly states you have to exchange openers 60 days prior to the amendable date.

You dont have a JCBA nor and amendable date on a JCBA, UA and CO are still working under two separate CBAs, not a joint one.

Might want to contact the NMB about that.

Show me where JCBAs can NOT be section 6.

I don't want your flawed reasoning, provide a link to a rule or regulation that states that.

I have UALs statement on filing for mediation in 2013 after interest based bargaining broke down, and I have the NMB Case number for our SECTION 6 FILING

Back