United Mechanics Contract

Thursday March 3 I have heard that the union will be meeting with the company including Oscar Munoz. 

A meeting between the union, NMB and our CEO took place yesterday. Here's an update from the union meeting that took place before this meeting:

All,

As I said I would inform everyone on the SFO meeting. The meeting ran by Clacy Griswold present from the Airline division were also Bob Fisher and Paul Alves. Most of the local B.A’s were present, all 13 committee members, along with several Local P.O.’s Bob Cleaver from IAH, Mike Moats from CLE, Peter Finn from SFO. Present was also one G.E.B. and P.O. of Local 455 DEN Steve Vairma.

We touched on what directions we will be taking going forward; this of course is still hinged on many unanswered questions that will be presented at the NMB meeting.  Another subject that was pressed on was the lack of communications to the membership, we are looking at several avenues including but not limited to a website specific to negotiations and has immediate updates throughout the process.  There is a new letter that will be put out by the Committee called “The Front Line” unlike previous info flow through the dispatch this will be direct to the members without the National legality channels editing. We found that by the time the members received any info the Company has already released bullshit.  

The National is going to conduct a survey, although I personally feel this is not needed there has been feedback throughout the system that the members want one. I’m not sure of the format they will use; however when the time comes please take the time to fill this thing out. The survey will be developed by an outside Company.

** The National has already requested a release from the NMB, we should know more by the end of their Washington meeting today Mar 3.**  

We have also talked about several strategies for picketing and/or hand billing at a larger national level. There are many supporting groups that would like to help our cause (TWU, ALPA, AFA and outside the airline GRP’s).  

Last a letter explaining several items discussed by the P.O.’s last week in Washington will be released shortly.   

As things developed I will pass them on…

Reactions: 2 people
topDawg said:
any word on how the strike vote went? I haven't seen the numbers.....
Over 87% eligible voted and 93.2% voted NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! The union will not divulge the strike vote count.

gtd, Anything new with the contract?  From our last update we seem to be T/A'ing more articles than before.  They are set to meet for 5 straight days in Chicago starting Thurs of this week and ending Wed of next week. Don't have a clue if they are planning to go thru the weekend, but maybe a thought if the mediators see good movement on the first two days.  But I don't see the mediators staying unless they see a possible T/A coming out by the end of this session, but that, to me sounds way too far fetched.  They (both sides of the nego teams) would be smart to get something done before our National elections coming up.  I have no idea how they will come out, but there are members running for all the National positions once again and there could possibly be another big shake up at the top, and this might and probably more than likely would slow down the nego's if were to happen while we are still negotiating.  I don't agree with the way the National level is handling the other airlines that are trying to go AMFA.  Some certain leaders at the top seem to be wanting AMFA to be SWAMFA, and this is getting a lot of members talking about replacing the top leadership again. There are several other reasons as well, and pretty sure you are well aware of them.  Their will be some movement after the voting is done, the question is how much movement will it be?   Any closer to your retirement date?  Good luck to all the guys on a successful contract...

How can that be?

According to you and others AMFA is the best thing out there since sliced bread.

700UW said:
How can that be?

According to you and others AMFA is the best thing out there since sliced bread.
AMFA is the best craft union out there, and yes, way better than the industrial unions hands down. With AMFA changes can be made all the way to the top leaders by the membership. Can you do this at any of the industrial unions 700?  NO! The members cannot, PERIOD.

xUT said:

Nope, just better than industrial unions.
B) xUT
YUP. Pretty hard to beat sliced bread, LOL...

Reactions: 3 people
swamt said:
AMFA is the best craft union out there, and yes, way better than the industrial unions hands down. With AMFA changes can be made all the way to the top leaders by the membership. Can you do this at any of the industrial unions 700?  NO! The members cannot, PERIOD.

YUP. Pretty hard to beat sliced bread, LOL...
Talk to me about AMFA when they bring over 50% of their maintenance in house..

Reactions: 2 people
700UW said:
AA has 900 planes and 14,000 mechanics, WN has 700 airplanes and has 2,300 mechanics.
Basically one fleet type of narrow bodies. AA has multiple fleets, multiple manufacturers and a combination of wide bodies and narrow bodies in the mix. You knew that but left it out. Thank goodness your not in Aircraft Maintenance.

Reactions: 4 people