United Mechanics Contract

D7571987 said:
Well at least you UPS guys have been $28,000 a year higher than us for years and years already. 

And we have heard nothing from company or union when supposedly 2 weeks ago they had an agreement in principle. 
And why is that D757? It has also thrown me off as well that we have not heard something by now. It really makes me wonder about the "agreement in principle" that the union is coming out with from the company. I guess we will wait and see.   Our latest nego's just ended yesterday and we wait for the update. As quiet as it is I assume pretty much nothing got done or advanced. Usually by now we have heard something. Last time there was numerous passes of offers. This time, I am not so sure any passes were done. Just a feeling I have. The stall tactics continue in my opinion. Will update you when we get it...

2 weeks after the company and union announced that an Agreement in principle has been reached .

An update went out late 8-26 from the union and its not real clear actually. I added the questions and ()  

The language worked on this week ( 8-22 to 8-26 ) of the AIP will be shared with the full committee ( Union committee ? ) ahead of the next scheduled meeting of the committee ( Union and Company ? )  That meeting will take place next thursday and friday ( Sept 1 and 2 ) in Chicago. 

At that meeting if the committee agrees that a TA has been reached then details will be released shortly afterwards to the membership. 

That's kinda strange.  A little odd that they are not releasing anything for you guys until they meet Sept 1 & 2.  I do know one thing, with the teamsters and their way of negotiating with the co. behind closed doors and having private meetings and such, there more than likely gonna have a zinger included in this offer coming out to you guys.  I hate to be that negative D, but, past experiences with the teamsters is too hard to shake off.  Trust me, if this was something to "brag" about, the teamsters would be thumping their chests, and proudly taking all the credit out in the public big time. Just like they did when they finally got our contract in 2004 with the biggie raise (thx to AMFA at Northwest).  And they would be definately be bragging on their web site, and they are not.  Something isn't right. Guess we will find out after 1st and 2nd of Sept.

Reactions: 1 person
787nightmare said:
Pfft.....don't think you have to worry too much about UPSers getting a deal done anytime soon.
They won't even be back at the table until October.....
There's no urgency whatsoever here.
Probably another year or so.....or at least what I'm told by senior guys here.
If I were a betting man; I would bet we might have something pushed out by the co. to vote on by Oct. when you guys go back to the table and finish up the economics.  Pretty sure they don't want us seeing anything coming out of the UPSers contract as far as economics as they will end up somewhere in the 60's and our dispatchers were successful in comparing themselves to the UPS dispatchers and had a huge increase in pay, and they were in mediation.  Our new National Officers are suppose to take over in Oct as well. Although that will not slow nego's what so ever, it may change the way the NEC might vote to have the membership vote on something so I would think the co. would want to get something out before the change over, but, we will see...

D7571987 said:
Well at least you UPS guys have been $28,000 a year higher than us for years and years already. 

And we have heard nothing from company or union when supposedly 2 weeks ago they had an agreement in principle.
Well.....the other mechs are at that rate, not me.
I'm starving to death out here in ONT at $22/chg.
For what its worth...you don't get into the good money until your last step at 5 yrs.
You don't even crack $30/hr at the 4th.....to put that into perspective.
Trust me......this place IS NOT what everybody thinks it is on the outside.

swamt said:
Thx for the info. Any idea what the hold ups are? Just curious as our contract and your contract was amendable at approx the same time of 8-16.  Would like to hear more from you guys about contracts in the future, as it will help us all out.  From what I have been told you guys are now down to economics, is that true?  Good luck  in your future contract talks. Hope you all get what what your asking for, including all the retirement stuff...
Dude we hear absolutely NOTHING.
Anything I've heard is pure rumor control stuff.
Maybe something to it.....maybe not.
You know the deal SW....

And I'm starting to lose patience trying to get closer to home.
Starting to look at other career sites,
Beginning to think there's not a plug buckles difference between all of em.
Just wanna get -closer-to home!!!

swamt said:
You may have told me already, but, where is home?
I've pm'd you before bubba....sure you don't remember....TUL.
Although that's likely to change depending on what/where I go next(& with whom).
Like I've said, ups has been a big eye opener.

Is it true that UPS doesnt have Lead mechanics? So the mechanics getting ordered around directly by management .
 I heard its pretty much a prison work camp there. 

787nightmare said:
Dude we hear absolutely NOTHING.
Anything I've heard is pure rumor control stuff.
Maybe something to it.....maybe not.
You know the deal SW....

And I'm starting to lose patience trying to get closer to home.
Starting to look at other career sites,
Beginning to think there's not a plug buckles difference between all of em.
Just wanna get -closer-to home!!!
Dude, are there any carriers left for you to try? :)

Well....there's WN, DL, UA....although I wk'd for CO.
I'm starting to think at this juncture in comml aviation, there's not a plug nickels difference in any of them. Even WN has seemingly turned into just another big airline....although I maintain, some treat there amts a little better than others
Been doing this for 28+ yrs, and this industry is nothing like when I got into it.

Since you asked.....UP is a trucking co with wings. They started life as a ground service freight forwarder, then moved over to overnight air express service. To a man, be it pilot, mechanics I speak with, they all say the same thing.....the co HATES the air ops side. They absolutely resent us all-and it's obvious. We are the proverbial red headed step children of ups.
I am not accustomed to be treated like that-to that extent.
AND I RESENT THEM FOR treated us/me like that!

At this juncture, I am looking to finish my career at least close to home--or a move back to TX is acceptable. I am tired of chasing the money.
Had Boeing allowed me to move southerly, I would've ridden it out there.
HATED liberal SEA & the 8 mos of cold precipitation.

There are two pivotal points in my career.
-my decision to leave CO in 92....I'd have June 88 seniority now.
But no amount of talking would've convinced me to stay with that sinking ship then.
-my FedEx debacle.
That cover it?

Latest posts