Upside down logic

proAMT

Advanced
Dec 3, 2005
SEA
I am sure I don’t see the big picture even though the TWU has made enormous efforts to keep us all informed.
First of all I wanted to say that if I had the opportunity to vote on our last contract offer I would vote no all over again.

The measures we took in 2003 were extraordinary and still we find ourselves having to feed the monkey. You can never satiate the beast. As long as we keep yielding they will come back again and again and again for more and more.

In order to keep the numbers up the TWU will give, and give and give.
There comes a point where workers need to not give and give and give or what you have eventually is something not worth fighting for.

Even when times were better we were still forced to feed the monkey. In 1989, if memory serves me right, union members agreed to a TWU recommended “improved” flexible medical plan in which the workers began pitching in on medical costs and their costs grown larger and larger each year.
In 1995 we locked into a 6 ½ % over 6 years contract and the airline went on to make millions and millions while we were locked into that “iron clad” contract. Also at TUL and AFW the mechanics gave their approval to a SRP (now OSM) program in which they gave up a whoppin’ 25% of their own AMT positions even though the company was beginning to make money hand in fist. The company attempted to man more than the 25% of these lower costs (semi-skilled) positions and from what I understand the threat of a lawsuit by the TWU prevented this from happening.

In 2003 it was time to feed the monkey again and we traded pay and benefits for jobs (a formula I believe we’ll soon see again). Now after giving up so much in less than two weeks to save the company it is again time to feed the monkey. They must be terrible at managing an airline or we must be incredibly gullible because here it comes again. I have no doubt the company will begin to make record profits once more but somehow the work group will be locked into another "iron clad" contract and by 2018 it will be time to feed the monkey again with either pay and benefit cuts or more outsourced work.

I voted no in 2003 and in 2008 and I’d vote no again. Call me an A-hole, don’t care. I’m sure I don’t see the big picture so label me naïve.

Now to the point of my posting, we have thousands of employees that are sick of this pattern (and the “valid” reasons for feeding the monkey) that they can barely stomach this any more. They are looking for ANY excuse to jump off this tilted merry-go-round. Why not sprinkle a little fairy dust their way (early out incentive) and allow these already noxious people to jump off?

Thousands of higher seniority workers are eagerly wanting to jump off, they are tired of feeding the monkey, why not give them the push they need? Why not take advantage of this situation and allow our younger, less seniority people, who are no doubt at this point in their lives establishing families and need a good job and some security to keep their jobs. Thousands want to jump off this ship…let them. Cut from the top not the bottom.

Dennis Hayes
SEA

Thousands of higher seniority workers are eagerly wanting to jump off, they are tired of feeding the monkey, why not give them the push they need?
Your former crewchief on 1C is trying to jump off but is finding it hard to beat the rush. There will be no incentives as long as that scenario exists.

What is the difference between the conditions of the SRP/OSM program and that of the "B-Scale"? They were all give backs and "Iron Clad"

Now to the point of my posting, we have thousands of employees that are sick of this pattern (and the “valid” reasons for feeding the monkey) that they can barely stomach this any more. They are looking for ANY excuse to jump off this tilted merry-go-round. Why not sprinkle a little fairy dust their way (early out incentive) and allow these already noxious people to jump off?

Thousands of higher seniority workers are eagerly wanting to jump off, they are tired of feeding the monkey, why not give them the push they need? Why not take advantage of this situation and allow our younger, less seniority people, who are no doubt at this point in their lives establishing families and need a good job and some security to keep their jobs. Thousands want to jump off this ship…let them. Cut from the top not the bottom.

Dennis Hayes
SEA

I agree. I noted this in another thread, but one of the things that is markedly absent from the term sheet is a *decent* early out. At NW (and yes, I realize AA's BK isn't like any other) on the ramp, for stations slated to close, they offered double severance for anyone affected. The other options were to take the layoff w/recall (5 years), or bump into another station. For those close to retirement, they could use the severance period as a "bridge," and that time also counted as service credit for their pension multiplier. After that, the same options were open to everyone else, and in subsequent years, up to 100 people annually could do the same, layoff or not. After the merger w/DL, and the accordant representation votes, the early out(s) also included one last shot at subsidized retiree medical (NW had it, DL does not). Combine double severance, and a chance to keep retiree medical, and I think maybe a lot of people at AA might just jump? Just a thought from the sidelines... 'Course that might take some outside-the-box thinking from Little & Co.; something that doesn't really seem to be in their skill set...

This is just one more way for AA to screw its employees.........DAL did do this, before bk...... and remember AA also put it out there, then decided............no, we can find a better way to screw them!!!!!

I agree. I noted this in another thread, but one of the things that is markedly absent from the term sheet is a *decent* early out.

Well, look at it this way -- an early out to soften the blow to those at the bottom is something that can be negotiated. All that the term sheet spelled out which sacred cows management chose to go after.

Never worked on a farm, eh? Newsflash #2: cattle rarely die of old age.

Never worked on a farm, eh? Newsflash #2: cattle rarely die of old age.

some farmers/ranchers save a few head to rebuild the herd. never worked on a farm but so i have heard. in this case its mad farmer disease..........

HMMM... Here is a scenario.

The company and the TWU have a big meeting in December. They agree that the first company proposal will be draconian. (horrible!)

The two agree that when they negotiate January's proposal that the union will bring back a "retirement assistance" that will be offered to those who qualify.

This way, you get rid of the highest benefit employees and save the jobs of some newbies. It would also make the TWU look good.

Will they do it?

Nah, it makes too much sense!

DNTULSA

Latest posts