US Airways and American Airlines to merge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They just refurbished the food, wine and tableware. Now BA is dropping FC unless AA, and UA do the same, they will have an edge.

In South America, AA is like Fidel, they ( AA ) have no competition and very few complaints

Good title for a 1996 Flagship News article, but not today.

To bad you can't hear the Latin/South America ATC frequencies in the middle of the night. Delta, CAL and some United clog them up like LGA at 4 pm on 12/23.

They just refurbished the food, wine and tableware. Now BA is dropping FC unless AA, and UA do the same, they will have an edge.

British Airways is installing a brand-new First Class product next year.

British Airways does not offer F service to select cities - Denver, Las Vegas, Montreal, Orlando and Tampa in North America.

What you might be confusing is that British Airways' most recent 777 delivieres have been high-density planes without an F cabin, being used to launch new routes like Montego Bay, Punta Cana and Sharm el-Sheikh this fall.

From an article I read in the Guardian a while back.

The airline, stung by a slump in premium bookings that helped push the company into its worst-ever loss of £401m, has removed first class accommodation from four of its new long-haul planes, and is to review seating plans for other new aircraft.

"The long-haul aircraft that we take delivery of this year will not have any first class cabins in them," said Willie Walsh, BA's chief executive. He insisted there was no direct link to the recession, but he added: "Longer term we will review the configuration of [all] new aircraft." BA is also launching a service this year from Heathrow to Las Vegas, a prime destination for high-rollers, with no first class option.

full article here

From an article I read in the Guardian a while back.

The airline, stung by a slump in premium bookings that helped push the company into its worst-ever loss of £401m, has removed first class accommodation from four of its new long-haul planes, and is to review seating plans for other new aircraft.

"The long-haul aircraft that we take delivery of this year will not have any first class cabins in them," said Willie Walsh, BA's chief executive. He insisted there was no direct link to the recession, but he added: "Longer term we will review the configuration of [all] new aircraft." BA is also launching a service this year from Heathrow to Las Vegas, a prime destination for high-rollers, with no first class option.

full article here

That does not contradict what I said.

BA is not removing First Class.

BA has had planes without First Class since 2000. It is no different than how AA offers some flights with First and others without. The recent deliveries are without First Class, that says nothing of future deliveries. BA has already announced a brand-new F class product that will be unveiled next year.

Agree with those who think this is hot air and a total non-starter of an idea. I do think it shows just how desperate US is getting. Their business model of being part LCC, part legacy just is not working. If they don't choose a format and stick to it they will die. I think they'd be best off dumping Star Alliance and going the full-on LCC route. They are already the Ryanair of the US with their fees and advertising everywhere.

Agree with those who think this is hot air and a total non-starter of an idea. I do think it shows just how desperate US is getting. Their business model of being part LCC, part legacy just is not working. If they don't choose a format and stick to it they will die. I think they'd be best off dumping Star Alliance and going the full-on LCC route. They are already the Ryanair of the US with their fees and advertising everywhere.
What fee does US have that American does not?

Is this possibly a lame attempt at muddying the waters in advance of the BA/AA ATI?

U cannot possibly get the money to take over AA under the current circumstances and with their route structure on the East Coast being picked apart by the overflights from AE, JB and LUV.

By publically discussing a merge between two airlines with substantial presence on the East Coast, Parker may be attempting to force restrictions on future aquisitions by AMR in the event that U cannot stay away from BK again.

Given that AE is basically routed to overfly the Trump Shuttle routes through a southern anchor in RDU and route authorities between BOS, LGA and DCA; could Parker be concerned that a stand alone AE could be bankrolled by AMR into a bid for assets were U to attempt another drink at the BK trough?

By forcing a discussion of consolidation prior to the event: would the political arm affiliated to U attach themselves to the possibility, for the purpose of preventing such an eventuality, by limiting the BA/AA ATI with restraints on coastal market concentration in advance of the event?

Is anything ever really planned that far in advance or management teams that pro-active?

This newspaper article was just a rehash of Doug Parker's well-known pro-consolidation views. I couldn't find any quotes in it where he stated that US and AA should get together. Perhaps he thinks that, but I doubt he can be that blatant about it. Much ado about nothing.

Yes please.....since US is so "desperate" as you put it can you enlighten us as to what out of the ordinary fees US has that AA doesn't? Also when you say that US advertises everywhere....exactly where is "everywhere"? The only place I notice besides their own USAirways magazine you'll see ads on napkins. Well tray tables for other companies but they look great. We'll all wait for your response. I'm sure it will be a doozie. :rolleyes: :blink:

One could speculate the US/DL slot + facility exchange could be a precursor to a potential combination of AA/US.

Before you pelt me with rocks and garbage, think about it for a second.Prior to the slot swap an AA/US combination would almost certainly be required to divest huge numbers of LGA slots in any transaction.That potential roadblock is now removed and the combined entity would have a sizable portfolio at DCA.Plus AMR finally gets their hands on a shuttle product.(Which they'd inevitably try to run with Eagle and make a dogs dinner of).

US moves to concourse C at LGA,UAL moves in with Continental and Air Canada in their concourse.

With the labor issues though,it'd never actually happen.

Not going to happen. Totally different business models, management styles and cultures. We are not getting married to the last girl standing just because everyone else thinks marriage is a good idea!

What fee does US have that American does not?
Still waiting for your answer on this fine quote there DCA...
Could it be you don't have an answer because AA applies the same fee's to their passengers. Please think before you post such nonsense again. :blink:

Still waiting for your answer on this fine quote there DCA...
Could it be you don't have an answer because AA applies the same fee's to their passengers. Please think before you post such nonsense again. :blink:

US Airways charges a "preferred seats" fee. It is a $5 to $30 fee to move your assigned seat to one of the forward window or aisle seats. US Airways also charges a $7 fee for booking online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back