US Airways and American Airlines to merge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While trolling the internet for more material I came accross this little ditty. Wonder why they have been trying to keep it out of the star telegram and dallas morning news. Could there be any truth to it as they have dragged our contract out for soooo long they are going to get their 2 year extension by default. :shock:

http://www.examiner.com/x-15043-Austin-Int...rlines-to-merge
I think this article is just alot of hot air...... Buying TWA was the biggest mistake AA has ever made and I surley hope they don't make the same mistake twice. We got nothing out of the purchase but law suits and headaches. Crandell had it right all along with his belief in growing American internally.
Now if AA could buy some assets just like they did with Eastern that would be good. Take everything but the empolyees.....

Here is the authors bio -- Robert Schrader ([email protected]) grew up in four states and had seen Big Ben, Notre Dame, and Palatine by age 21. Having just conquered India, he plans to visit every continent by 30. Live vicariously through him at Examiner.com.

With that kind of back ground and (schooling) and industry experience, how could it not possibly be true? Now you want to know why its not in a mainline paper. Well they tend to want facts and have standards.

I think this article is just alot of hot air...... Buying TWA was the biggest mistake AA has ever made and I surley hope they don't make the same mistake twice. We got nothing out of the purchase but law suits and headaches. Crandell had it right all along with his belief in growing American internally.
Now if AA could buy some assets just like they did with Eastern that would be good. Take everything but the empolyees.....

I'm sorry but I don't know what world you live in but AA is in no position to purchase anything from anyone, let alone pull another TWA. If anything this time around it might be the AA employees who might get left behind, with AA being the one to have to sell to stay a float. At this point in time AA is yet again shrinking and slashing thousands of jobs. Take the blinders off, AA is not the big bad bull it use to be..... :down:

I'm sorry but I don't know what world you live in but AA is in no position to purchase anything from anyone, let alone pull another TWA. If anything this time around it might be the AA employees who might get left behind, with AA being the one to have to sell to stay a float. At this point in time AA is yet again shrinking and slashing thousands of jobs. Take the blinders off, AA is not the big bad bull it use to be..... :down:
Take your blinders off.... what airline isn't shrinking and slashing jobs to alive?? Hello !!!!
In these times AA isn't the big bull , nobody is in this economy but AA's conservativeness will postion it to be on top when the good times return.

Even the mighty (in hottootrots eyes) Continental Airlines is offering 14.4 million shares of its Class B common stock to the public for $11.20 per share. The airline expects to receive $158.4 million in net proceeds, according to a regulatory filing submitted Friday. Try to raise money just like AA, UAL DAL and all the rest.

You might take a moment and consider the source of the article and see what a joke it was.

These days, I don't rule anything out. Mergers and/or acquisitions will have ironically proved what critics of deregulation have said: The industry will be left with 3 or 4 large carriers with regionals to serve the smaller airports.

Not to say that the current economic conditions isn't a major player, but we have been heading this way long before this recession started.

As for and AA/USAirways marriage, sure why not?
All this means is that employees will bear the brunt as usual.

But let's not forget about the BA/AA linkup expected for October approval.

But let's not forget about the BA/AA linkup expected for October approval.

Regarding this BA/AA/IB link I believe that AA will yield all JFK-LHR paxs. to BA out of JFK in return for BA's ground handling and maintenance contract at Terminal 8. This would free up 777 A/C to further expand into South America and elsewhere. Likewise IB will get the JFK- BCN paxs. in return for their Ramp contract and commissions.

Why buy the cow when all you want is the milk.

Regarding this BA/AA/IB link I believe that AA will yield all JFK-LHR paxs. to BA out of JFK in return for BA's ground handling and maintenance contract at Terminal 8. This would free up 777 A/C to further expand into South America and elsewhere. Likewise IB will get the JFK- BCN paxs. in return for their Ramp contract and commissions.

I don't see that happening simply because of the increase in headcount across the board required to adequately staff for BA ground handling.

Plus British Airways has cabin appearance standards and I don't think the Cabin Circus AA provides would meet the bill.

I still remember the Asiana reps having fits claiming they were paying for 20 cleaners on the 744 and getting half of that if they were lucky but still getting billed for the full 20.

AA is not about to give up its very expensive early morning slots at LHR. I am also curious where you think AA has the ability or need to expand in South America?

Plus British Airways has cabin appearance standards and I don't think the Cabin Circus AA provides would meet the bill.

Exactly; Cabin is gone; but no AA jobs losses. The TWU would pick up hundreds of new jobs in Tech and Fleet doing BA/IB ground.

Hint; BA/IB execs were at Term 8 last week in talks for the new agreement, and everything's on the table.

AA is not about to give up its very expensive early morning slots at LHR. I am also curious where you think AA has the ability or need to expand in South America?

About $700 Mil is what AA paid Carl Ichan, for TWA priced slots, I believe AA's has had a huge windfall to date.

To remain competitive on LHR though, AA has to update, refurbish, all 777 inflight service in order to keep up with the healthier BA and techno-wave Virgin.

In South America, AA is like Fidel, they ( AA ) have no competition and very few complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts