Us Just Lost My Club Renewal

gso2pit

Advanced
Mar 2, 2004
Okay, so I wanted to get club access for a friend since i'm on medical leave until further notice. I spoke with two club reps and they said to check with them before leaving town. I asked and was told "It would be our pleasure to host your friend". The rep happily took down the information and that was the end of the story.

Today, I get a phone call from a different club rep stating that their manager saw the notation on the calendar and that my friend would not be permitted access under any circumstances without buying the daypass at $35.00. For one non-hub club, it's not worth $35.00. This manager didn't have the balls to call me himself and face the music if he wasn't willing to work with a regular customer. Typical crap. That club rep was trying to do a favor for a regular customer. Congratulations Mr. Club Manager, you have one CP who will NOT be renewing his USELESS AIRWAYS club membership! Not in a million years. They decided to call me ONE week before my friend left on his trip. No class..none at all.

:angry: :( :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

gso2pit said:
Congratulations Mr. Club Manager, you have one CP who will NOT be renewing his USELESS AIRWAYS club membership! Not in a million years. They decided to call me ONE week before my friend left on his trip. No class..none at all.
Thanks, Mr. Frequent Flier, for showing your true colors. You have just shown that you may be a CP, but with that remark, you are no supporter!! That remark was childish, uncalled for and offensive!..but I'm sure you will find some wise-crack entitled remark to blast out at me to explain yourself. Don't bother. :down: :down:

Well, since you are referring to the club in question as a "non hub club", it shouldn't be a big deal that your friend won't be visiting. The 2 club reps were wrong to begin with by offering to let him in for free. I am sure there are other members that have been told the same rule for a daypass and fair is fair.

Well, to me it seems like this is a severe customer service failure. It probably could only have been worse if gso2pit hadn't been informed in advance and his colleague had arrived at the airport only to be refused entry without purchasing said day pass.

That said, while it probably was a mistake for the first two club representatives to agree to host gso2pit's colleague without charging for a day pass, reneging on that agreement simply compounds the problem. Moreover, if this was a decision made by the manager, he or she certainly should have taken it upon him/herself to call the member to explain that decision (and face the consequences). A more customer-friendly solution would have been to contact gso2pit, explain that the representatives had made a mistake, but also agree that the US Airways Club would honor that promise for some reasonable limited time.

Instead, some ham-handed management has resulted in a p-o'ed customer who likely won't be forking over a renewal fee in some misguided attempt to extract $35 for a day pass that they likely wouldn't get either way. In fact, one could view allowing gso2pit's colleague into the Club as marketing; he or she might be more likely to sign up for a membership after trying the product.

And to me, it seems that this is somewhat emblematic of how people view the network majors -- lots of conditions, catches, and gotchas -- and they're left with a poor customer service experience in the end. Blaming the customer is not the solution in this case.

gso2pit said:
Okay, so I wanted to get club access for a friend since i'm on medical leave until further notice. I spoke with two club reps and they said to check with them before leaving town. I asked and was told "It would be our pleasure to host your friend". The rep happily took down the information and that was the end of the story.

Today, I get a phone call from a different club rep stating that their manager saw the notation on the calendar and that my friend would not be permitted access under any circumstances without buying the daypass at $35.00. For one non-hub club, it's not worth $35.00. This manager didn't have the balls to call me himself and face the music if he wasn't willing to work with a regular customer. Typical crap. That club rep was trying to do a favor for a regular customer. Congratulations Mr. Club Manager, you have one CP who will NOT be renewing his USELESS AIRWAYS club membership! Not in a million years. They decided to call me ONE week before my friend left on his trip. No class..none at all.

:angry: :( :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
So you are upset that a club rep violated the rules and their manager later enforced policy and this will lose your business?

I see a "shade" of your point, but the fact you are this extreme and your rant here starting a thread about the clubs shows what is wrong with the airline business. Everyone wants all the extra benefits for no expense.

The $35 per visit being too expensive is your opinion only, I'm sure they sell visits for that. If you wanted your friend to go in the club, pay the $35 or don't worry about them not going in the club.

sfb said:
And to me, it seems that this is somewhat emblematic of how people view the network majors -- lots of conditions, catches, and gotchas -- and they're left with a poor customer service experience in the end. Blaming the customer is not the solution in this case.
We can blame the customer service aspect but I see a deeper issue. The club employees that originally said yes to the favor - what type of pressure were they given from the club member?

It all stems from the "extra benefits" that carriers like US Airways offers that most customers want but few are willing to pay for. If he would have never wanted/asked for this visit for free then he would never have been upset - but he doesn't think anything about asking for it because he thought it was not worth what US was asking for it ($35) so he immediately discounted it and thought it should be free because of who he is.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't our business mostly about customer service? With WN breathing down our necks, shouldn't we be just a little more inclined to use our advantages?

If we have a valued customer who makes a small request, shouldn't we accommodate where we can? Perhaps those friends of his would have experienced our product at its best and been a bit more inclined to call US Airways the next time they need to buy a ticket? Or when they decide they want to join one of our Clubs?

I'm not talking about giving away the store here. I'm talking about building good will. Good will is priceless. Once a customer is treated well, they will remember it for a long time. Same as if they get less than satisfactory treatment too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: This company seems to know the cost of everything but the value of nothing. And that's what will kill this company.

Dea

firstamendment said:
Thanks, Mr. Frequent Flier, for showing your true colors. You have just shown that you may be a CP, but with that remark, you are no supporter!! That remark was childish, uncalled for and offensive!..but I'm sure you will find some wise-crack entitled remark to blast out at me to explain yourself. Don't bother. :down: :down:
You guys really blow my mind.

He's not mad because he couldnt get the stupid pass for his friend. He is mad because a promise was broken in what he feels was bad fashion. The post was most likely typed in the heat of the moment, and I honestly believe he will get over it.

More importantly, some of your attitudes to this really inflame me. Alienate him by braking the promise, and get angry at him for being upset about it? Honestly, get over yourself.

You are in a customer service industry. (even if you dont want to admit it to yourself) There is no excuse for the reps telling him he could in the first place. Ever heard of under promise and over deliver?

If it were you in a situation like his, lets say in retail, you probably would be just as angry.

Seen in a different light, the U staff dealt with the problem with a week's lead time, probably was apologetic...and since everyone else pays $35, why shouldn't your friend?

Why should the rules be bent to let you act like a big shot?

I find the U club staff uniformly friendly and first rate.

They could put the cheese out earlier in PHL, though.

RWerksman said:

He's not mad because he couldnt get the stupid pass for his friend. He is mad because a promise was broken in what he feels was bad fashion. The post was most likely typed in the heat of the moment, and I honestly believe he will get over it.

More importantly, some of your attitudes to this really inflame me. Alienate him by braking the promise, and get angry at him for being upset about it? Honestly, get over yourself.

You are in a customer service industry. (even if you dont want to admit it to yourself) There is no excuse for the reps telling him he could in the first place. Ever heard of under promise and over deliver?

If it were you in a situation like his, lets say in retail, you probably would be just as angry.
No friend, what it is about is the fact that many customers claim to be big supporters of US and then they get childish, nasty, and disrespectful by referring us to Useless Air when things don't go their way. You know, I wouldn't take that crap from my family or S.O. and I will be damned if I will take it from a hothead out here on line. We are not your whipping post. Call the company if you have a complaint. It is so easy to resort to the Useless Air B.S. or US Scare. This person showed his true colors and I could care less if he EVER flies us. He is an embarrassment for those of us, YES ME, who were born and bred in Greensboro. Now where is Bill with the inflamatory remarks from this "person". Answer, Bill? Ok as long as it isn't directed to individuals? I DON"T THINK SO!!!!! :angry: :up: :up:

P.S. Yes, you're damned right I'm angry on this one!!!

RWerksman said:

MY POINT EXACTLY!!!! It's not what they did, it's how they did it. In my mind, they weren't honest.

-When I asked the first two club reps, they told me to check with them closer to the date, and when I would be leaving town.

-When I asked before I left town for an extended period, they said no problem, your friend is welcome.

If this manager had an issue, he needed to call me himself. I don't like being dicked around with. Either say yes or say no, but it's REEEALLLYY poor taste to call a customer back and retract a promise....
Don't play games with your US1's...you'll lose in the end

More Facts and Less Emotion said:
We can blame the customer service aspect but I see a deeper issue. The club employees that originally said yes to the favor - what type of pressure were they given from the club member?

It all stems from the "extra benefits" that carriers like US Airways offers that most customers want but few are willing to pay for. If he would have never wanted/asked for this visit for free then he would never have been upset - but he doesn't think anything about asking for it because he thought it was not worth what US was asking for it ($35) so he immediately discounted it and thought it should be free because of who he is.
I am not a pushy person and don't expect anything. If they would have said NO the first time..and clearly..then I would have been fine with that. I'm not going to be disrespectful to club reps just to get something extra...

Just please don't take things out here. You know things are not the best now. The last thing we need here is remarks that are nasty. I agree with your issue, but I feel you made it personal. You know that 99% support our customers. Why come here and get nasty. Anyone of us, YES, including angry First, would do anything for you. When you make those cutting remarks, it IS hurtful. Tell Lakefield. We "pions" are only trying to make sense of it all. When you say USELESS AIR, you are making a cllective statement that we all ALL useless and that just isn't true and you know it. That is my only beef with you. i agree 100% with your beef...not with your delivery and believe me, I am n ot the best my best, but man, you really got me angry. BUT, all is forgiven. ;)

Back