Us Just Lost My Club Renewal

Perfectly legitimate. People enter into addenda to written contract by verbal agreement all the time. Those addenda carry the same weight as a written contract, provided both parties agree in retrospect as to the terms of that verbal contract. It would be hard for US to deny having verbally agreed to those terms when they took the initiative to call to renege on the verbal contract. I suspect that if gso2pit wanted to push the issue, he could be awarded $35 or one free pass to the club (most likely US's choice) if he took them to small claims court.

Having said that, it's worth neither the time nor the effort to do so. Furthermore, it still is beside the main point, namely that even if US doesn't have a legal obligation to honor their verbal commitment, they have a business obligation to do so.

Let us not forget that one of WN's greatest strengths is their ability to make their customers feel like they got an honest deal. The legacy carriers tend to do quite the opposite, with a laundry list of fees for nearly everything. Even if the customer technically "agreed" to those terms by buying the ticket, non-frequent travelers don't really know or understand those terms, and feel like they're being cheated. This is what drives them to WN.

Doc said:
I don't go into a grocery store and say can I have this last bag for free. I know the groceries cost money. This is the only business where the squeaky wheel gets the grease...
Last weekend I zipped into the local grocery to grab some chicken for the grill. I got my meat and headed for the express line just in time to get in back of a guy buying 8 tall cans of infant formula. The clerk rang them up and he then said "that's wrong -- it say's X on the shelf" he then proceeded to insist that the last time this happened they gave him a can for free.

The customer service process that ensued was a fuster-cluck reminiscent of this club incident.

So IMHO sorry but, no, there's nothing special about airline customers.

BTW, this store is anything but the "low cost" variety (in spite of their propaganda to the contrary.) It's one of those chains that thinks it's "better" than Wal-Mart but is actually dirty, dingy, over-priced, with poor selection and the worlds slowest moving employees. They do, however, have a nice little loyalty program ;-)

TomBascom said:
BTW, this store is anything but the "low cost" variety (in spite of their propaganda to the contrary.) It's one of those chains that thinks it's "better" than Wal-Mart but is actually dirty, dingy, over-priced, with poor selection and the worlds slowest moving employees. They do, however, have a nice little loyalty program ;-)
I didn't think they had Winn-Dixie's that far north! B)

mweiss said:
Perfectly legitimate. People enter into addenda to written contract by verbal agreement all the time. Those addenda carry the same weight as a written contract, provided both parties agree in retrospect as to the terms of that verbal contract. It would be hard for US to deny having verbally agreed to those terms when they took the initiative to call to renege on the verbal contract. I suspect that if gso2pit wanted to push the issue, he could be awarded $35 or one free pass to the club (most likely US's choice) if he took them to small claims court.

Having said that, it's worth neither the time nor the effort to do so. Furthermore, it still is beside the main point, namely that even if US doesn't have a legal obligation to honor their verbal commitment, they have a business obligation to do so.

Let us not forget that one of WN's greatest strengths is their ability to make their customers feel like they got an honest deal. The legacy carriers tend to do quite the opposite, with a laundry list of fees for nearly everything. Even if the customer technically "agreed" to those terms by buying the ticket, non-frequent travelers don't really know or understand those terms, and feel like they're being cheated. This is what drives them to WN.
Do people enter into addenda to written contract FOR FREE? I don't think so.

Can I get a free airline ticket for my friend because I already bought an airline ticket for myself?

Since when is there a universal buy-one-get-one-free sale? The notion that businesses should give us whatever we want in the name of "goodwill" is a big pile of B.S.

JS said:
Do people enter into addenda to written contract FOR FREE? I don't think so.
All. The. Time. When one expects to get more in the long term, it's pretty common to do precisely that.
Can I get a free airline ticket for my friend because I already bought an airline ticket for myself?
Um, quite often, yes. WN used to be rather famous for their Friends Fly Free campaign.
The notion that businesses should give us whatever we want in the name of "goodwill" is a big pile of B.S.
I'll agree with you there. So who said they should?

mweiss said:
People enter into addenda to written contract by verbal agreement all the time. Those addenda carry the same weight as a written contract, provided both parties agree in retrospect as to the terms of that verbal contract.
I have to agree with JS on this one. Sure parties can enter into an agreement, but a modification to a contract is not likely to be enforceable by a court unless some sort of additional consideration was given for the modification (or unless there was some change in circumstances not anticipated when the original contract was agreed to and the parties later agreed how to deal with that change). Otherwise it is likely to be seen as just an unenforceable promise.

Bear96 said:
I have to agree with JS on this one. Sure parties can enter into an agreement, but a modification to a contract is not likely to be enforceable by a court unless some sort of additional consideration was given for the modification (or unless there was some change in circumstances not anticipated when the original contract was agreed to and the parties later agreed how to deal with that change). Otherwise it is likely to be seen as just an unenforceable promise.
It may not be legally enforceable, but from a customer service standpoint it should have been upheld.

Back