US posts another record profit!

Well, let's be careful not to assume that "leasing" means still having a chance of getting them back at some point. In the EWR case, the court made it clear that UAL was giving up the slots permanently--whether you call it selling them, donating them, leasing them or call it a ham and cheese sandwich. As far as UAL is concerned those slots are gone.

• Banned
UA/CO merger never went to court, it was a settlement between UA/CO and the DOJ.

UA/CO merger never went to court, it was a settlement between UA/CO and the DOJ.
I am assuming you are addressing WT. If not, then who are you addressing??? Anyway, we all know that UAL/CAL never went to court. We all also know that they settled with the DOJ. Since I am assuming you are addressing WT, he said nothing about anything other than a settlement. And as I have said from the very first day we all knew AA and US was going to merge, they will merge, it's a matter of what it will cost to merge, and is it worth it? And this is what I believe WT was also explaining. No-one for several postings back said that they went to court, we all know they settled. Which is exactly (more than likely) what AA and US will do. But I will add this; I think they (AA/US) will be divesting more than any other merger in the past has. Question moving forward is, will it be worth it?? If AA/US could get the same return as Delta has in the 3rd quarter (1.37 Bil) then yes they will go for it, it's all about the money that the execs will make after all said and done. And trust me, when your airline is making 1.37 billion in one quarter, just imagine what the execs are raking in in bonuses, hell, look at what they rake in when their loosing money and in BK... It's all about the money!!!

• Banned
Well, let's be careful not to assume that "leasing" means still having a chance of getting them back at some point. In the EWR case, the court made it clear that UAL was giving up the slots permanently--whether you call it selling them, donating them, leasing them or call it a ham and cheese sandwich. As far as UAL is concerned those slots are gone.
I am assuming you are addressing WT. If not, then who are you addressing??? Anyway, we all know that UAL/CAL never went to court. We all also know that they settled with the DOJ. Since I am assuming you are addressing WT, he said nothing about anything other than a settlement. And as I have said from the very first day we all knew AA and US was going to merge, they will merge, it's a matter of what it will cost to merge, and is it worth it? And this is what I believe WT was also explaining. No-one for several postings back said that they went to court, we all know they settled. Which is exactly (more than likely) what AA and US will do. But I will add this; I think they (AA/US) will be divesting more than any other merger in the past has. Question moving forward is, will it be worth it?? If AA/US could get the same return as Delta has in the 3rd quarter (1.37 Bil) then yes they will go for it, it's all about the money that the execs will make after all said and done. And trust me, when your airline is making 1.37 billion in one quarter, just imagine what the execs are raking in in bonuses, hell, look at what they rake in when their loosing money and in BK... It's all about the money!!!
Learn to read the post above mine.

Guess you are wrong, or do you have a reading comprehension problem?

Its in the post right above my post.

In your zealousness to prove me wrong, you only succeeded in proving yourself wrong.

In your zealousness to prove me wrong, you only succeeded in proving yourself wrong.

Hey, since you're (notice I said you're, not your) so quick to post about other's reading comprehension, maybe you can look at yours- pertaining to the US CBA and holiday time. You were wrong, not that I expected you to admit as much...

Did you know your being condescending and petty makes you look much more like an ass than does his imperfect reading? I mean, statistically speaking you're one of the most active trolls here taking into account your posting frequency, your reputation score, and your consistently nasty attitude.

Now, that you think you have proved your point...

The DOJ and DOT made it clear that UA could not grow any larger than CO was at EWR as of the time of the merger; thus, they gave up 100% of the EWR slot assets that UA brought to the table.

I repeat...those slots that UA had at EWR are gone forever as far as UA is concerned. Whether it was the court or the DOJ, UA can not regain those slots. You can argue your simplistic semantics all you want. Whether they leased them or sold them, they are GONE. And, you be sure and put on your broken record act and mention that it was only 18 slots. 18 or 80, UA can not regain control of the slots.

And, I don't think that bodes well for AA/US at DCA. WN has already stated publicly that they will be bidding aggressively for all the slots that AA/US will have to give up. So, among airline people who matter, there's gonna be DCA slots available.

Which goes back to the original concern, will the AA/US divestitures (and I don't think DCA is the only DOJ sticking point) be so draconian that they make the merger no longer financially viable?

Now, don't you have an airplane lav to clean or an aisle to sweep? You better hope that US management doesn't decide that they like the AA way of doing things. AA has already outsourced your job.

• Banned
It never went to court, thats the bottom line and the slots "leased" were only 18. Not a massive amount.

And if AA/US give up slots for AA's 50 or so daily DCA flights the case would probably move a whole lot in the forward direction.
Apparently that is too high of a price for them along with other conditions.

Whether a market is a monopoly or not has nothing to do with whether other competitors COULD enter a market or not but whether they actually exist.

AA/US would create a monopoly in a number of markets and it is not the gov't's job to try to predict whether other carriers would ever serve those same markets. Its job is solely to determine if the combination of two existing businesses would create unfair competition and it is on that basis that it is objecting to this merger.

In what market would it be impossible to travel between two cities on another carrier with a US/AA merger? The day the DOJ filed its suit I went on kayak and searched CLT-DFW. 1400 different itineraries came up.

Learn to read the post above mine. Guess you are wrong, or do you have a reading comprehension problem? Its in the post right above my post. In your zealousness to prove me wrong, you only succeeded in proving yourself wrong.----------------------------------------------------
Wow! You and overspeed are the same. The entire process was still settled on outside of a court ordered decision period. Yes they all had court proceedings, how else would they have gotten a settlement without a suit (thru the courts, duh). Most on here know exactly what I meant by my statements, you, as well as overspeed seem to focus on the spelling, grammar, and comprehension, when in fact, you are the only one that could not comprehend what I wrote, Hmmmm. Everyone else understood it, I mean comprehend what I wrote, why couldn't you 700??? The posting you say you were addressing never said they did not settle out of court, now did it??

[SIZE=medium]pi Brat,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Just because 1400 itineraries came doesn't mean that all carriers have the same access to or share in the market.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Competition law, which the DOJ is enforcing, is about ensuring that one company in a market does not have the ability to distort the market at the expense of other players.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The nature of AA/US' hubs do not provide a level playing field not only in a number of large markets in which they have nonstop service but in connecting markets that are "attached" to those hubs.[/SIZE]

WorldTraveler said:
pi Brat,

Just because 1400 itineraries came doesn't mean that all carriers have the same access to or share in the market.

Competition law, which the DOJ is enforcing, is about ensuring that one company in a market does not have the ability to distort the market at the expense of other players.

The nature of AA/US' hubs do not provide a level playing field not only in a number of large markets in which they have nonstop service but in connecting markets that are "attached" to those hubs.
There is no monopoly. There are any number of ways to fly and when one carrier consolidates or changes another will step in. The carriers don't have the power to prevent that.

It's political. The state the outcome they want tgem pick and choose data to support it.

Imho, of course.

• Banned
swaamt,

Why are you posting things that never happened?

The DOJ NEVER filed a suit against the UA/CO merger, the court was NEVER involved.

The DOJ and UA/CO negotiated the merger, without a court being involved.

swaamt,

Why are you posting things that never happened?

The DOJ NEVER filed a suit against the UA/CO merger, the court was NEVER involved.

The DOJ and UA/CO negotiated the merger, without a court being involved.
All the DOJ has to do is threat the lawsuits, as they have in the past, even in other industries. Don't care if they never stepped foot inside a court room, the DOJ used their power to threaten to file with the courts to get what they wanted prior to any merger, period. The courts processes were threatened and used to get what the DOJ wanted, otherwise UAL/CAL would have never divested the slots.

Latest posts

Back