We Might Be Selling Pillows And Blankets

So will they have to clean the tray tables before they apply the ads?
Or will they do like my university did.... back in our dorms, they resealed the floors every year, but they never cleaned so all they sealed was the dirt and grime underneath.

Will these trays be in First Class? Currently it's always an adventure seeing what you'll find when you unfold those tables.

Dog Wonder said:
Passengers on a low cost airline will love this idea.

Maybe we can sell them seatback trays and pretzels too
[post="302941"][/post]​

Here's an similar idea:

Give them a drink filled to the top of the glass and snack then "rent" the tray table infront of the passenger. If they want to use it the fight attendant has a key that unlocks the table once they have been paid.

Also charge for 5 cents for each pretzel.

Finally, put a dime slot on the lav, and a tips jar at the fwd entry way that passengers can drop tips on the way out.

Now that would be a flight to remember.

wnbubbleboy said:
Here's an similar idea:

Give them a drink filled to the top of the glass and snack then "rent" the tray table infront of the passenger. If they want to use it the fight attendant has a key that unlocks the table once they have been paid.

Also charge for 5 cents for each pretzel.

Finally, put a dime slot on the lav, and a tips jar at the fwd entry way that passengers can drop tips on the way out.

Now that would be a flight to remember.
[post="303534"][/post]​

There was a British charter airline called Court Line back in the 60s/70s with pastel-colored planes (BAC 1-11 and L-1011).
They'd only cater on the outbound from the UK. Each seatback had a small compartment where they'd shove in two meals. The flight attendants came down the aisle selling meals. If somebody wanted one, they'd take the money and unlock one meal from the seatback. No galleys needed that way.

What I still don't understand is why we include anything in the price of a coach ticket today? Does any other means of transportation such as the bus or train include this with your coach ticket? I think the answer to that would be no. With the price of fuel and the average cost to operate an aircraft why is anything included. I mentioned before that when you take the train NOTHING is included in your ticket price except for "HOPEFULLY" reliable transportation from point A to Point B. The golden years of air travel have given passengers that fly today a false assumtion that everything under the sun is "rightfully" included. Airtran charges you for drinks after your first few in their so called "Business class" ! I mean really. Dare to compare fares on some routes and nothing is offered on greyhound or amtrak.

Tries to steer conversation back to topic...

Just to let you know, Independence Air is doing this already, but they sell nice pillows (the horseshoe shaped "cush" ones, and decent blankets that the passenger can, and does want to take home with them.

IMO it is a great idea, rather than have them use the gross ones provided for free, or have them spend their cash for the same kind of thing at an airport vendor why not sell decent stuff to them...?

One of the other things that Indy does that we should follow IMO, is the simple handout of wipes near the end of the flight (heated with hot water from the galley). Not towels, just simple handwipes. Cannot cost that much, but the passengers really like the chance to freshen up and it conveys more of the full service - low cost image that we are supposed to be trying for.

uh ,that guy who wrote me back is the new vp of marketing scott kirby. this is the new usairways. not the old one. there will be alot of "thinking out of the box" in this airline from now on . and i do not think that usairways will be responsible . i think bed bath and beyond will . so stupid is as stupid does. STUPID!!.

Great, tell "kirby" if he wants some free advice to drop by... BTW I've heard all about him, and if he's as smart as people say, this idea will be nipped in the bud quicker than a gypsy picks a pocket. I can see competitors advertising dept attacking a charge for blankets and pillows much like majors have gone after south west for seat assignments "assigned seating no stampeding etc..". If you want the company to make more money, and you think the new U is greatest thing since sliced bread, tell "kirby" to take 20% of your paycheck each week and start up a new ESOP. If you dont have the balls to do that, just keep your fingers crossed and your mind on keeping ops as smooth as possible.. Save the pillows and blankets for bed bath and beyond!

Just to let you know, Independence Air is doing this already, but they sell nice pillows (the horseshoe shaped "cush" ones, and decent blankets that the passenger can, and does want to take home with them.

Right.. while they head into bankruptcy... Why are you guys so penny wise and pound foolish?

If you want the airline to make it, take more pay cuts.. comon.. Feed those greedy "private equity investors" who actually own the airline...

usair_begins_with_u said:
Stupid idea.. marginal money maker, at best... Now you have the logistics of dealing with the inventory you have to track. One more job for the over worked underpaid gate agents have to deal with. Where do you stock the inventory? Do you put a cash register at the gate? I could almost understand if you wanted to invite an independant re-seller to do it for you, while you co-brand the merchandise. U has enough trouble generating profit from operations... That guy who wrote you back was paying you lip service, and I bet you $50 you'll never see it happen.
[post="303185"][/post]​

As a former gate/counter agent, I agree for the most part with this. You have one agent working a flight by himself, having to sell available first class seats, deplane and board wheelchairs and UMNR's, board passengers, find the tickets they rearanged from the counter and get the flight out on time. All this with a 35 min turn on a 737. Ineventory would be a problem, who carrys the stuff to the gate and back? Most times you dont get a chance to leave the gate area as you run from flight to flight. Airports are doing away with the podiums in favor of a small doorway podium so no storage for anything other than boarding pass stock and printer paper. POSSIBLY at the counter would be a better idea. You have storage, a secure place for funds and paperwork and the passengers carry the pillows etc. Of course, that means all the connecting passengers would probably be out of luck as out stations probably wouldnt carry them. Oh well. I say eliminate them entirely. Health issues, storage issues and come on, its not like they are of any real size anyway. We Americans have gotten TOO soft. We expect every place to be like home.

I think your absolutely right. When I mentioned the other day about selling them at the gate, I forgot about the staffing issues at the gates these days. It would probably prove impossible to do. I'm with you on getting rid of them all together. As I stated before, when you take the train or the bus is anything but "Hopefully" reliable transportation included in your COACH ticket? That answer would be NO. The expense of running an airline is much more expensive than the others forms of transportation. We "the airlines" should not have to offer this stuff if we have to eat the cost. I'm all about nice professional service in a pleasant atmosphere but over the years all of the airlines have made passengers attitudes what they are today.

What about FFOCUS folks. Think they'll be happy about paying for pillows and blankets? I doubt it considering that some of them have issues when they don't get a lime in their drinks.

Fly said:
What about FFOCUS folks. Think they'll be happy about paying for pillows and blankets? I doubt it considering that some of them have issues when they don't get a lime in their drinks.
[post="304089"][/post]​

I'll make you a bet they would pay it in a heartbeat. Logo items have a certain appeal.

-JC

jcooke said:
I'll make you a bet they would pay it in a heartbeat. Logo items have a certain appeal.

-JC
[post="304098"][/post]​

I'd buy one just to have one with the logo, like you said.
After that, nah. I already refuse to check luggage and bringing one of these things back again and again takes up too much carry-on space. And I wouldn't buy one, if it wasn't expensible, for every trip.

For the frequent travelers, probably won't repeat sell.
For the infrequent travelers, probably much more a success.