We Might Be Selling Pillows And Blankets

etops1

Veteran
Dec 6, 2003
i e-mailed scott kirby and doug parker about the possiblility of selling pillows and blankets before customers board flts. this was there response

Thanks for the note and taking the time to send in the suggestion. Believe it or not, we've actually had discussions with Bed, Bath and Beyond about doing exactly what you recommend. We'll have to wait and see what comes of it. Thanks again.

Scott
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 7:48 AM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: for scott and doug

dear doug and scott
. my name is #####. i am a f/a for usairways based in ###. first of all, let me begin by saying how excited i am with this merger. i think that this new company is going to be a power house in the industry with the new managemnt team on the helm and not to mention the best employees in the business.
anyway let me get to what i wanted to write to you about. i had an idea on pillows and blankets. i think that they should be sold to pax. not onboard ,but in the boarding area before they board the a/c on long haul and red-eye flts and even short hual . have a set of prepackaged pillow and blanket (nice ones) and sell them for 5 dollars. they should be able to keep the pillows and blankets with them for use on a future flt. that eliminates the cabin crew having to pick up and fold the blankets while on a turn around flt and reduces the turn around time. because pax will take these items with them.also pax will have their own clean pillow and blanket. you have seen some of the blankets and pillows we have onboard our flts and it ain't pretty. and lastly ,it's revenue for the company. this also eliminates the cost of laundering the pillows and blankets as well. anyway ,hopefully you guys get the picture.
take care, fly safe,
####

etops1 said:
i e-mailed scott kirby and doug parker about the possiblility of selling pillows and blankets before customers board flts. this was there response

Thanks for the note and taking the time to send in the suggestion. Believe it or not, we've actually had discussions with Bed, Bath and Beyond about doing exactly what you recommend. We'll have to wait and see what comes of it. Thanks again.

Scott
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 7:48 AM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: for scott and doug
dear doug and scott
. my name is #####. i am a f/a for usairways based in ###. first of all, let me begin by saying how excited i am with this merger. i think that this new company is going to be a power house in the industry with the new managemnt team on the helm and not to mention the best employees in the business.
anyway let me get to what i wanted to write to you about. i had an idea on pillows and blankets. i think that they should be sold to pax. not onboard ,but in the boarding area before they board the a/c on long haul and red-eye flts and even short hual . have a set of prepackaged pillow and blanket (nice ones) and sell them for 5 dollars. they should be able to keep the pillows and blankets with them for use on a future flt. that eliminates the cabin crew having to pick up and fold the blankets while on a turn around flt and reduces the turn around time. because pax will take these items with them.also pax will have their own clean pillow and blanket. you have seen some of the blankets and pillows we have onboard our flts and it ain't pretty. and lastly ,it's revenue for the company. this also eliminates the cost of laundering the pillows and blankets as well. anyway ,hopefully you guys get the picture.
take care, fly safe,
####
[post="302888"][/post]​
:up: Nice idea, however if they are going to be doing this through BBB, $5 seems a tad cheap....i was thinking something nice for like $10.

true . i did not thnk they were talking to bed bath and beyond. . i was thinking maybe, k-mart.

etops1 said:
true . i did not thnk they were talking to bed bath and beyond. . i was thinking maybe, k-mart.
[post="302908"][/post]​

Martha's been out of the klink around the corner from me in WV for some time now. Maybe she can work a deal with K-Mart/Sears and the new US? ;)

Dog Wonder said:
Passengers on a low cost airline will love this idea.

Maybe we can sell them seatback trays and pretzels too
[post="302941"][/post]​

Hey, if the seatback trays are clean, I'll pay for them!

We should be selling them...or just take them off.

It always grossed me out that people had used them flight after flight w/o cleaning them....i.e. hair and body oil.

Then I saw an article about how they are almost toxic. Especially after pax flying the commuters collect their bags plane side then drag them across the tarmac through jet fuel, etc. They then get on a main line jet with that crap on their wheels and shove their bag up against the pillow or blankie in the bin. Next flight, someone uses that item and has jet fuel residue all over them. The government should pull them off as a health hazard !

As a US1 I am all for the selling of pillows and blankets to the customers. YES we will pay for these items despite what some people would say.

I flew home this past Sunday FLL to PIT. I grabbed a pillow to use during the flight. Now I have a nice irritating rash on my left arm that I attribute to the use of this pillow.

Someone will say I'm just having an allergic reaction to something I touched. The only thing I came in contact with in this area of my arm was that pillow. I have been in the medical profession for a long time and I know a contact reaction when I see one.

Remove the pillows and blankets and sell us a nice Heritage Logo blanket and pillow. I'll buy a few.

Let's charge them for ice, PAPER cups, and use of the carpet on board to walk upon...

Limit the # of "freebie" blankets and pillows, and offer a product of slightly higher quality for sale.

I know I'd probably buy a set at least once simply for the logo.

We've got BOB (Buy On Board), so we could call it BYOB (Buy Your Own Blankie).

Besides, Bob, we could probably come up with a special lime green pillow and blankie just for you.

:D :lol:

Jim

Stupid idea.. marginal money maker, at best... Now you have the logistics of dealing with the inventory you have to track. One more job for the over worked underpaid gate agents have to deal with. Where do you stock the inventory? Do you put a cash register at the gate? I could almost understand if you wanted to invite an independant re-seller to do it for you, while you co-brand the merchandise. U has enough trouble generating profit from operations... That guy who wrote you back was paying you lip service, and I bet you $50 you'll never see it happen.

Latest posts