Who rides on ferry flights?

OldGuy@AA said:
In an example of what goes around comes around....  We had a test pilot here in Tulsa that thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread and was always belittling mechanics and crew chiefs.  One day we saw him park his Mercedes by hangar 5 right on the ramp and he and three women got out.  They all climbed the stairs into a waiting DC 10 and off they went.  Someone dropped a dime on him and it turned out that not only weren't the women supposed to be on a test flight, they didn't even work for AA!  Needless to say he called in every favor owed to him by the pilot's union and it saved his job.  This guy was a prime douchebag and he treated so many mechanics like crap it finally bit him in the butt.  Sometimes you have to wait around to finally see justice.  But I say again, pilots and FAs don't care one bit about AMTs until their airplane is broke and they want to go home.  Then we matter.  Until then we're scum.

You said he kept his job.

Yeah....you really showed him, huh?

Pathetic.

OldGuy@AA said:
In an example of what goes around comes around....  We had a test pilot here in Tulsa that thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread and was always belittling mechanics and crew chiefs.  One day we saw him park his Mercedes by hangar 5 right on the ramp and he and three women got out.  They all climbed the stairs into a waiting DC 10 and off they went.  Someone dropped a dime on him and it turned out that not only weren't the women supposed to be on a test flight, they didn't even work for AA!  Needless to say he called in every favor owed to him by the pilot's union and it saved his job.  This guy was a prime douchebag and he treated so many mechanics like crap it finally bit him in the butt.  Sometimes you have to wait around to finally see justice.  But I say again, pilots and FAs don't care one bit about AMTs until their airplane is broke and they want to go home.  Then we matter.  Until then we're scum.

Wow OG, that was a little harsh.  I have met plenty of friendly Pilots and Flight Attendants in my 30 years; in fact, I am married to a FA.  We all know there are people in every department that could use some charm school.

Vortilon said:

Wow OG, that was a little harsh.  I have met plenty of friendly Pilots and Flight Attendants in my 30 years; in fact, I am married to a FA.  We all know there are people in every department that could use some charm school.

Well, just another example of how some folks don't quite understand the differences between being a line mechanic and an overhaul mechanic. OG painted with a wide brush, a little too wide for some peoples taste in light of the fact that many line mechanics break bread with pilots and flight attendants regularly and if not that, we definitely have to work with them and interact daily.

There are complexities to both jobs of line and overhaul that a lot of times each doesn't understand unless having worked there for a period of time to know. 

Its a good exercise in opening the eyes of some that may not understand the line mechanics job, dealing with baggage handlers, fuelers, agents, tower people, pilots, flight attendants. All of which may or may not know their own job and some that think they know yours. 

On top of ALL of that being a greedy, lazy whining mechanic,, geez its tough the stuff we have to deal with.

Just sayin

Vortilon said:

I did say there were exceptions.  Honestly the only contact I have had with FAs and Pilots is the test pilots here in Tulsa which almost all of them are great and understand us, and baby sitting an outbound ACFT out of the hangar at the gate in Tulsa.  The pilots I have come in contact with at the gate are for the most part ego maniacs and the FAs walk right by you and ingnore you like you are a panhandler.  I know of at least two guys I worked with who went to the line and married FAs so yes there are some exceptions but I do admit my contact with them is limited.

nycbusdriver said:

You said he kept his job.

Yeah....you really showed him, huh?

Pathetic.
I was not the one who dropped the dime on him.  He had made many enemies and the suspect list was very long.  He had to watch his butt after that and kept a lower profile until he retired.  Even the other test pilots hated this guy.  It might have been one of them.  But yes he did keep his job but it took quite a bit out of his ego.

I can say as a line crew cheif, lead, after being the same in a hangar environment, ...wtf?

I always got along with all the crews. There was an occasional one-off douchebag but hey, I can be that on any given day I am told.

Overall, we were all working for the same company, hoping for the same thing; a solid, reliable paycheck with a decent working environment.

I had that for a long time. When it stopped, I left. I miss the good Ole days and hope you all can have those more often than not.

Latest posts

Back