Word from the top!

AWA320

Veteran
May 6, 2007
Western hemisphere
Just in case you missed what the company intends to do! Game is almost over easties and your options are running out.

August 16, 2007

Dear US Airways Pilot:

We've received some questions from pilots about the company's reaction to the
resolution passed by the East MEC yesterday. The resolution states that East ALPA is
withdrawing from joint contract negotiations (JNC) and does not intend to return unless
the company immediately increases East pilot pay to West pilot rates (actually their
proposal goes above West pilot rates in many cases).

The company's reaction to this hopefully comes as no surprise to anyone, because we
have been consistently stating it for quite some time now: We are not interested in
engaging in contract negotiations with either the East or West pilots without the other
group present. Doing so would only continue to drive a wedge between the two groups
- plus drive all sorts of divisive issues in the future as new aircraft types and flying come on line and we have to decide which contract to fly it under.

We are, however, very interested in having discussions with both groups present with a
goal of reaching a joint contract.
The fact is the company has already offered "pay parity" to our pilots. We put a joint
contract proposal on the table back in May that would take all US Airways pilots to AWA
rates plus 3%. Even though that proposal would increase the company's costs by
approximately $122 million per year, we were prepared to sign it then and are prepared
to sign it now, because we want very much to get our pilots working together as one
team with one contract.

The problem, of course, is not the company's unwillingness to increase pay - we've
already offered that - it is the fact that our goal of reaching a joint contract has been complicated significantly by the ALPA seniority integration dispute. We fully appreciate the magnitude of that issue to our pilots and the fact that it is an ALPA issue.

As such, we are not trying to influence the ALPA process in any way.
We are, though, seriously concerned about how this seniority integration dispute is
dividing our pilots. I have personally expressed those concerns to both MEC chairmen
and the ALPA international president. I have been told the Rice Committee is hard at
work and hopes to have recommendations/solutions within the next month or so. We
hope that is the case - if it goes much longer, the company will probably request a
mediator be added to our JNC talks, which the Transition Agreement allows either party
to do. We'd rather not do that without the full support of both MECs and I'm optimistic
that we won't have to, but if this goes on for much longer, it may be the next best step for
all of us. We found a mediator to be extremely helpful to all parties in our IAM joint
negotiations over the past few weeks.

I should clarify that a joint contract does not necessarily mean immediate seniority
integration. I have spoken with enough of our East pilots to know that such a proposal
would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get ratified. I happen to believe that if
we could get everyone together at the negotiating table, we could work something out
that meets everyone's needs - though both sides would need to move some from their increasingly hardening positions. We are hopeful that the Rice Committee will facilitate
some creative solutions and do so quickly. I know we have some ideas that we have
shared with ALPA and I'm sure they have many more of their own.

So that's where the company stands: we are anxious to get all of our pilots working
together, on the same pay scale with the same work rules, under the same contract.
The East MEC resolution correctly notes that some other contract employees have
received pay parity, but in each case that came with a joint contract. That is what needs
to happen with our pilots as well and we are willing to commit significant financial
resources and time to make that happen. To do so, though, we need to get everyone to
work together, not apart. Once that happens, we are optimistic that solutions can be
found that allow us all to move forward.

In the meantime, please do what you can to treat each other with respect and
professionalism. We will find a way through all of this - let's try to do so without creatingwounds that will take a long time to heal. Thank you.

Doug Parker

In other words he is anxious to give the west pilots a pay cut,like hes trying to do with other work groups.

In other words he is anxious to give the west pilots a pay cut,like hes trying to do with other work groups.

I think one thing east and west pilots agree on is that without substantial (25%+) pay increases there will be no joint contract, ever.

Just in case you missed what the company intends to do! Game is almost over easties and your options are running out.

August 16, 2007

Dear US Airways Pilot:

We've received some questions from pilots about the company's reaction to the
resolution passed by the East MEC yesterday...

Yeah?

The issue is seniority. Not wages. The issue is internal to ALPA, who has abandoned their duty.

Those who attempt to provide a "fix" by allowing the problem to be firmly entrenched without end by adding yet another layer of problems on top by tying in addtional parties to the confusion in a contract between ALPA and LCC... :rolleyes: .. Lets really screw this up.

Hey I got an idea for some fun, Doug.. Let's go find two fighting Pitbulls and I'll watch you seperate them by pulling on their ears. :lol:

Yeah?

The issue is seniority. Not wages. The issue is internal to ALPA, who has abandoned their duty.

Those who attempt to provide a "fix" by allowing the problem to be firmly entrenched without end by adding yet another layer of problems on top by tying in addtional parties to the confusion in a contract between ALPA and LCC... :rolleyes: .. Lets really screw this up.

Hey I got an idea for some fun, Doug.. Let's go find two fighting Pitbulls and I'll watch you seperate them by pulling on their ears. :lol:

Would the time keeper be Michael Vick? :huh:

Game Over??

Sounded more like "Please make my life easier and settle with us so I can keep my job" to me.

This comment really got me, "In the meantime, please do what you can to treat each other with respect and professionalism" To this I simply say Physician Heal Thyself! Leading by example is a wonderful concept, embrace it BEFORE you preach to others, OK Doug

First off Doug Parker and the entire US Airways Management Team never met a union or a customer they respected for longer than it took to get what they wanted. So keep that in mind.

I will have to completely disagree. I have found Doug to be both very approachable and quite caring and understanding. I have had the luxury of being involved in a conversation in which he took part and he was both courteous and very much appreciated everyones opinions... even those froma couple of us who worked for a US Express Contract carrier! I got the impression that he really does care about this company. Now maybe I'm easily won over.... but from my experience I will have to disagree with your comment.
If you have other experiences with him please enlighten me.

I have found Doug to be both very approachable and quite caring and understanding. I have had the luxury of being involved in a conversation in which he took part and he was both courteous and very much appreciated everyones opinions...

Does he have to be mean, arrogant, and averse to giving you the luxury in order for employees to demand they get paid a living wage?

Game Over??
Oh big deal he's going to ask for a mediator!! SO WHAT! One thing I learned is that an indiviual pilot with a bug up his arse can cost the company millions via fuel burn, anal retentive pre flighting causing delays and missconnects, Slow Taxi and I'm certain a host of other things I do not know. Think what happens when 30 or 40 percent of the pilots both east and west start playing hardball.

And make the lives of the rest of us front line employees absolutely miserable! Each work group has its grievances but actions like those serve only to create even more anamosity between the various employee groups.
Every misconnect can cost me anywhere from 3-20min of additional time spent at the airport. When that person is going to some random city in Africa or the middle-east (of which we have about 3-4 daily with 40min connections) it can be more like a half hour or more until I've got new routings, passport and visa requirements, and 2 nights in a hotel organized b/c Doudala, Cameroon is only served 3 times per week... We have enough problems with the operation without people intentionally sabotaging it!
I've spent many a 15 hour day working on reaccomodation for MX/WX delays... I can't imagine what would happen with a streak of intentional/preventable delays thrown into the mix.

I will have to completely disagree. I have found Doug to be both very approachable and quite caring and understanding. I have had the luxury of being involved in a conversation in which he took part and he was both courteous and very much appreciated everyones opinions... even those froma couple of us who worked for a US Express Contract carrier! I got the impression that he really does care about this company.

I think we have finally located Mrs. USA320!

Ok I knew I was going to get absolutely flamed for those comments...
Before you all flame me for being some kind of west apologist I jsut want to make it known that I worked first for an Express Contract carrier and now for what would technically be US "East" though I try to see it as a single entity as much as possible. :)

Doug Parker said: "The problem, of course, is not the company's unwillingness to increase pay - we've already offered that - it is the fact that our goal of reaching a joint contract has been complicated significantly by the ALPA seniority integration dispute. We fully appreciate the magnitude of that issue to our pilots and the fact that it is an ALPA issue."

USA320Pilot comments: Doug understands that there will be no joint contract unless the seniority integration problem is fixed, otherwise, the East pilots will not agree to a new joint contract. and

Doug said: "We are, though, seriously concerned about how this seniority integration dispute is
dividing our pilots. I have personally expressed those concerns to both MEC chairmen
and the ALPA international president. I have been told the Rice Committee is hard at
work and hopes to have recommendations/solutions within the next month or so. We
hope that is the case - if it goes much longer, the company will probably request a
mediator be added to our JNC talks, which the Transition Agreement allows either party
to do. We'd rather not do that without the full support of both MECs and I'm optimistic
that we won't have to, but if this goes on for much longer, it may be the next best step for
all of us."

USA320Pilot comments: The EC has passed two resolutions, the Rice Committee was formed and as Doug said the "Rice Committee is hard at work and hopes to have recommendations/solutions within the next month or so," and USAPA intends to file its NMB application and required paperwork in the next couple of weeks. The only parties unwilling to find a "realistic solution" to the seniority integration is the AWA pilots. The company can request mediation, but nobody, I mean nobody can force the East pilots to reach a joint contract.

And, it appears Doug understands that too becaus he said, "I should clarify that a joint contract does not necessarily mean immediate seniority integration. I have spoken with enough of our East pilots to know that such a proposal would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get ratified."

Doug said: "I happen to believe that if we could get everyone together at the negotiating table, we could work something out that meets everyone's needs - though both sides would need to move some from their increasingly hardening positions. We are hopeful that the Rice Committee will facilitate some creative solutions and do so quickly. I know we have some ideas that we have shared with ALPA and I'm sure they have many more of their own.

USA320Pilot comments: The ALPA EC, Rice Committee, Company, and the East MEC understands the necessity to reach a consensual agreement that is a "realistic solution" otherwise I believe USAPA will become to bargaining agent for both the East and West pilots in the not-to-distant future, with the West pilots the minority negotiator and "imposition" about to occur. Time is up!

If the West pilots do not want to talk then they do not want to talk and the East pilots will take matters into their own hands.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I don't care what Doug Parker thinks....He's lost control and this company is an operational mess.

Morale is below ground level and sinking farther south fast...

He better sell it fast ...2 distinct airlines who will never come together....

You just don't get that by tabling Nic in the short term and delaying integration until a solution can be worked out and going for the MONEY RIGHT NOW you can end up with the best of both worlds.

Piney, heaven forbid that I would ever appear to favor another poster to you... :lol:

The issue is seniority. Tomorrow the issue will be seniority. The day after tomorrow the issue will be seniority. The day after the day after tomorrow the issue will be seniority.

Seniority is a union issue. (except in Prater's eyes, wether or not he wanted to inherit the position he has)

Dougwieser is dreaming if he thinks he has enough fresh meat to seperate two pitbulls that are in a death grip over seniority. He is hoping to throw a few fresh steaks in the entire dog lot and have the senior dogs whip things in shape like they always have done. It is far too dangerous for Dougwieser to have just two big pilot goups fighting, he needs all the pilots fighting each other from every direction accross both airlines up and down the seniority.

But he is a very nice chap who will give you the luxory of lunch with him, and he will listen to your concerns. So all in all he ain't a bad fellow. A lot like Prater, who also likes lunch and would like to hear your concerns. I don't know if he drinks though.

I will have to completely disagree. I have found Doug to be both very approachable and quite caring and understanding. I have had the luxury of being involved in a conversation in which he took part and he was both courteous and very much appreciated everyone's opinions... even those from a couple of us who worked for a US Express Contract carrier! I got the impression that he really does care about this company. Now maybe I'm easily won over.... but from my experience I will have to disagree with your comment.
If you have other experiences with him please enlighten me.
Doug Parker, Scott Kirby, Anthony Mule are nothing more than snakes. They are all pigs in way over their money lined pockets. They have no interest whatsoever in this airline except to make money for the top. If they had any kind of morals or ethics, there is no way in hell they would put our passengers through this, let alone the employees. They are despicable human beings.

Latest posts