Ya BUT,.....what in HEL* do we do with PHILLY

A more appropiate question would be...

Why does anyone here believe they have control over any of these happenings?

WE are just along for the ride...

and any other belief is nothing more than self preservation BS!

I've said it several times, PHL & JFK draw off a different traffic base. I think that they can both survive with this merger. Two large areas, and people in NYC don't go to PHL for intl flights, and PHL folks don't go to JFK for theirs. Are there some that may due to a lack of a flt, sure but not in large numbers.....

I've said it several times, PHL & JFK draw off a different traffic base. I think that they can both survive with this merger. Two large areas, and people in NYC don't go to PHL for intl flights, and PHL folks don't go to JFK for theirs. Are there some that may due to a lack of a flt, sure but not in large numbers.....

Not sure it makes sense to have two international hubs that close together. PHL might become a large domestic "focus" city.

And then who gets the intl traffic from PHL? You know that the local O/ D people aren't going to treck over to NY. Not sure if running a bunch of flts back and forth between those cities woukd be the answer either. How much of AA's intl traffic out of JFK is connecting vs local? I don't think that they benefit from as much connecting traffic as PHL does either. I suppose that is what the big shots get paid to figure out.

Who says both can't co-exist?

JFK is still largely local O&D, and move the connecting traffic over PHL, where there's a smaller O&D market but still big enough to support LHR & MAD (which in turn offer decent connect opportunities) and larger O&D's like FRA & CDG.

That also will likely leave CLT in the cold as far as int'l flights go. Just looking at the overlaps to the Caribbean & Europe, you could turn CLT into a domestic-only north-south hub and probably not lose a whole lot in the process.

For profitable flights nothing happens, for marginal flights they will be dropped. This is a different business now. The only thing that matters is this flight/market profitable. Looking at a Map, which used to be a big part of merger talk is now completely immaterial.

Who says both can't co-exist?

JFK is still largely local O&D, and move the connecting traffic over PHL, where there's a smaller O&D market but still big enough to support LHR & MAD (which in turn offer decent connect opportunities) and larger O&D's like FRA & CDG.

That also will likely leave CLT in the cold as far as int'l flights go. Just looking at the overlaps to the Caribbean & Europe, you could turn CLT into a domestic-only north-south hub and probably not lose a whole lot in the process.

I agree with you, but I think that CLT stands to see an increase in Intl flying at some point. Given the recently announced CLT expansion project with a new Intl terminal, I think they had a glimpse at some future plans.

A more appropiate question would be...

Why does anyone here believe they have control over any of these happenings?

WE are just along for the ride...

and any other belief is nothing more than self preservation BS!
You have hit the nail square on the head sir ! Well said.

I agree with you, but I think that CLT stands to see an increase in Intl flying at some point. Given the recently announced CLT expansion project with a new Intl terminal, I think they had a glimpse at some future plans.

Plans change.

Back