Your Top Ten

LHR is a total pipe dream for USAirways. We would all love it and at would be a great thing but.....just won't happen.

I would like to see us operate a carribean feed out of PBI.Start with a route structure similar to the old Piedmont Shuttle in Florida.Serve cities like TPA,MCO,TLH,EYW,and maybe ATL,then send them to cities in the carribean,SJU,MBJ,CUN,CZM,PLS,GCM using rj's[see F-28]ex.PBI-MCO-PBI-CUN-PBI-MCO-PBI.With all the money from Palm Beach,Jupiter Island and the growth of Palm Beach Co.and Scripps Research moving to Palm Beach Co.expecting40,000 to50,000 jobs from spinoff companies in the next 10 yrs. people south of Clt have to fly north to fly south to the carribean.PBI would be a better choice than MIA and giving these people to American.If we could send a rj to NAS from PBI we would take all of CO traffic on their 19 seat jetstreams.Florida will probably be like California in the next 5 yrs. and USAIRWAYS will miss the boat on this area too.

elmerfishpaw said:
, but Kansas City could maybe be a mini hub.
Been there, done that.
I remember the SFO-MCI nonstops. Good load factors. Then Vanguard came into the market with $49.00 fares. US couldn't break even at that fare and pulled out.
Guess what, Vanguard couldn't make money in the marekt either and also pulled out. Then they disappeared altogether.

US flights to CPH would be a great Star Alliance hookup, especially with SK's links to Eastern Europe and the Baltic. (Side note: CO's new service to OSL will be on a 757. It has been discussed in these pages before, but I wonder if US could make a go of ETOPS modified 757's to secondary Euroean markets. (LIS, BHX, STR, BRU?)
Just thinking out loud. )
Think of the clubby, intimate feel of those 8 F/C seats, across the pond. :D

mweiss said:
I'll tell you why not...you can't serve it from PIT or PHL because of the Wright Amendment. Unless you plan on one-stop via TUL/OKC/LIT, or if you want to be sillier JAN/BTR/MSY/HOU/AUS/SAT/ABQ.

And, oh yeah, you can't through-ticket DAL to PIT or PHL.
Aircraft with less than 56 seats are exempt from the Wright Ammendmet rules. AA flew f-100's with only 56 seat LGA-DAL prior to 9/11. THey did have to go to court to get approval for this IIRC since the F-100 is not really intended as a 56 seater.

RWerksman said:
ABQ obviously. Correct me if I am wrong, but you cant even get there via code share.
Actually, US does codeshare on UA flights from DEN to ABQ.

Dont call me Shirley said:
Aircraft with less than 56 seats are exempt from the Wright Ammendmet rules. AA flew f-100's with only 56 seat LGA-DAL prior to 9/11. THey did have to go to court to get approval for this IIRC since the F-100 is not really intended as a 56 seater.
AA did this to crush Legend, not out of any particular sense of market savvy or fair play.

Aryeh said:
My thoughts, some already wisely suggested, are:
1. Monterrey, Mexico: not only for an aforementioned reason but because its population is large (over 3 million) and it's one of Mexico's main commercial and industrial cities. The commerce and large middle-class offer many opportunities.
2. Panama, City, Panama: The canal and free trade zones make it a major city for banking and shipping.
2. Vancouver, BC
3. Anchorage, AK
4. Panama City, Panama
5. San Jose, CA
6. Oakland, CA

Some of these airports' metropolitan areas we either don't serve or underserved; So much untapped potential. And the company's network needs to better balance the cities between which a passenger can fly. Currently, service in some markets is over concentrated (Syracuse, Rochester, Norfolk, Harrisburg, etc. etc.), some markets are underserved (LA area, SF Bay Area) and there's the "sorry, but we but can't get you there from here" markets.
Thank you, my son is being held hostage in Monterrey, Mexico and I want to bring him home. If I could fly there, that would be great. I would have to go on Continental out of IAH to see him.

Dont call me Shirley said:
Think of the clubby, intimate feel of those 8 F/C seats, across the pond. :D
One would hope that US running 757s TATL would do like CO and put in 16 transoceanic FC seats.

Back