Your Upgrade Awaits

UA has found a way to monetize E+, so much so that the new regime decided not just to keep E+, but to expand it to the CO fleet. DL is also installing their version of E+. Obviously these airlines have found that customers will pay a reasonable premium for some extra space, and it takes the sting away from that upgrade not clearing. I wish that US would consider installing an E+ section.

Reactions: 3 people
UA has found a way to monetize E+, so much so that the new regime decided not just to keep E+, but to expand it to the CO fleet. DL is also installing their version of E+. Obviously these airlines have found that customers will pay a reasonable premium for some extra space, and it takes the sting away from that upgrade not clearing. I wish that US would consider installing an E+ section.

They will! just as soon as one of their spread sheet jockey's tells them to.

US is a trailing edge carrier and the sooner everyone understands this the happier they will be.

Reactions: 2 people
US Airways Continues to Enhance the Customer Experience in the Air and on the Ground: January 9, 2012

Click here here to read the story.

Let's dig a little deeper on these "Enhancements" shall we?

US Airways began installing the First Class product on its Express aircraft in September and completed all aircraft in mid-December. The seats offer generous legroom and personal space in a 1-2 configuration throughout the First Class cabin. First Class customers now receive the same benefits when traveling on First Class-equipped US Airways Express aircraft that they experience on mainline flights including:

Priority check-in
Priority security lines (where available)
Early boarding
A dedicated cabin
A larger seat with increased leg room
Complimentary alcoholic beverages
Complimentary snacks
Complimentary pillows and blankets
Priority baggage handling

Everyone of these "enhancements" is in direct response to competition, NOT due to any forward thinking, visionary leadership on the part of US Airways which was exactly the point I was making. US Airways is a follower NOT a leader. Which isn't always a bad thing. Innovation is NOT part of US Airways. Being Monkey Do in the land of "Monkey See. Monkey Do" is fine, just lower your expectations.

Thanks for probing my point USA320

Reactions: 1 person
Let's dig a little deeper on these "Enhancements" shall we?

Everyone of these "enhancements" is in direct response to competition, NOT due to any forward thinking, visionary leadership on the part of US Airways which was exactly the point I was making. US Airways is a follower NOT a leader. Which isn't always a bad thing. Innovation is NOT part of US Airways. Being Monkey Do in the land of "Monkey See. Monkey Do" is fine, just lower your expectations.

Thanks for probing my point USA320

LOL Someone really needs to take a buisness 101 class!

LOL Someone really needs to take a buisness 101 class!

So when you signing up? Temple has some excellent courses if you're from PHL.

Spoken like a true "Cost of everything, value of nothing" Kool Aid Drinking, MBA toting spreadsheet guru if ever there was one,

The postings by Art and Sparrow address what has been discussed before: Tempe has apparently decided to pursue a different market than the one aimed for by CCY, more oriented to the leisure traveler rather than the "road warrior" VFF.

Be it the smaller F/C cabins or charging elites for "choice seats" it seems to be more about additional revenue - even if rather slight - rather than pleasing the most loyal customers. I don't have an MBA nor am I an expert in airline marketing, but IMHO it's not the best way to go. But bringing F/C to most of the airline's vast regional network is a good thing.

Back to Business 101:

A business model based upon following the market is a tried and true method to become and remain profitable. Frankly I have no real issue with how US markets their product. I LOVE Spirit's business model. Doesn't meet my needs but it's financially sound and innovative. You have to respect them for that.

My "Beef" with US is that a business model based upon the euphemistic phrase "Ancillary Revenue" is not a prescription for long term growth and sustained profits. Will it carry them through in the short term until a merger or acquisition involving US takes place? Yes I think it will.

The concern here is that US in following this path has possibly thrown away a bright future for short term gain. If there is no merger or acquisition US Airways is in IMO in grave danger of returning to the financial peril of the last few years of CCY.

The current Dodge & Flash, look here, look there, Oops we found a profit represents some very very short term thinking. Everything is boiled down to price not actual cost. WN for example lowers actual cost by creating a less expensive way to do business. Same at Spirit and IMO it should come as no surprise that at WN, nearly everyone makes more money and is happier on the job which flows directly to the bottom line. Even NK pays pilots a similar rate to US,

Failure to change the culture at US is IMO a key reason why US hasn't done as well financially as it could have.

http://www.creditloan.com/blog/2010/11/15/airline-tickets-the-cost-of-first-class/

A glass of wine costs the airline eight dollars? Hmmm....
It just might. You can bet that a business analyst for dining and cabin has run the numbers and knows just how much each glass sold costs. A lot can go into getting that glass of wine into the hands of a passenger.

1. Wineries manufacture and bottle the product for sale (heavily regulated industry)
2. Distributors buy from the wineries and provide transportation and warehousing services for a fee (heavily regulated industry); liquids in glass containers are very expensive to transport
3. Taxes and fees may be required to transport alcohol from state to state (more regulations)
4. The airline has to apply for and maintain a liquor license depending on various federal and state regulations
4. A complex distribution network is required to on-board the bottle at the station
5. Inventory control and specific handling procedures are required for anyone who may touch the product from distribution to it's final stop in a beverage cart
6. Glasses, napkins, trash bags and sometimes corkscrews must be available for the FA to properly serve the glass of wine
7. FA training on proper procedures for serving, inventorying and accounting for glasses/bottles of wine served is required
8. Waste (half full bottle that gets dumped) and pilferage of inventory also adds to the cost of each glass of wine
9. Taxes must be included in the price of a glass of wine and because of each state wanting a share of the customer's money, it matters if the glass is served on the ground or in the air.
10. Reports on the sale and service of the glass of wine must be handed off to people in accounts receivable for the proper recording of the transactions
11. Tax accounting must calculate the amount owed to each taxing entity and prepare tax returns as required. The costs/risks of being audited by any one of those agencies must also be added in to the total cost of the glass
12. Liability insurance must be maintained to cover any claims that may arise out of the company engaging in the sale of alcohol
13. People in dining ad cabin services as well as purchasing must evaluate product and ensure that each bottle of wine selected meets with the expectations and standards set by the airline and that the wineries, distributors , and kitchen service personnel have the right product available for each flight
14. Accounts payable must process and pay distributor invoices for product delivered
15. Waste disposal services must be made available to haul away all of the empty bottles, glasses and napkins that are generated from the sale of wine on the airplane.
17. Each one of the process and systems requires enterprise-level (expensive) software and server hardware (expensive) in order for the whole process to work properly. That requires IT support personnel, data backup and recovery systems and a data infrastructure network to provide access for every one of those functions across a broad and complex airline route system.

There may be more than that, but you get the idea. It's not like driving to the grocery store and picking up a $15 bottle of wine for you and your three friends to have a glass from.

Guess US Airways purchasing dept has never heard of Two Buck Chuck? :rolleyes: :lol:

Callaway, your point is taken, there are costs involved post wholesale purchase. Some time ago, one of the big wigs mention how bottled water was tehw most expensive non alcoholic beverage to serve. Still, eight bucks seems out lien for the quality of wine served by domestic carriers.

Guess US Airways purchasing dept has never heard of Two Buck Chuck? :rolleyes: :lol:

Callaway, your point is taken, there are costs involved post wholesale purchase. Some time ago, one of the big wigs mention how bottled water was tehw most expensive non alcoholic beverage to serve. Still, eight bucks seems out lien for the quality of wine served by domestic carriers.
I suspect the "big wig" was fully accurate about the cost of providing water. There are very complex distribution algorithmic computations made on how to transport water in the most efficient and least fuel-burning method. No matter how cheap the water inside the container is, getting that water on the plane is quite expensive. Now compare the weight of a full glass bottle of wine to the same quantity of water in a plastic bottle and you see at least one of the many problems.

My guess is that people rarely consider the cost of something seemingly insignificant when multiplied across the total number of passengers served in a year. Hypothetically, let's assume that each onboarded passenger uses one plastic cup per flight on average (total guess just as an example). Now let's say that $0.01 per cup could be saved by switching to a cheaper plastic or a different supplier. That seemingly small amount saved per passenger would total $500,000 a year in savings if you assume US onboards 50 million passengers (paying or otherwise) per year (50,000,000*.01). Given US' size little things like that add up in a hurry (cups, napkins, boarding passes, bag tags, water, trash bags, filing a sales tax report for every state/city we operate in). The same holds true for adding up all of those little costs that to a person might be insignificant (gas used to go to the store for a bottle of wine).

Interesting posts Callaway. Thanks for helping make my point regarding business models.

As most here know I have a friend who is a General Manager at Wendy's. Last time I spoke to her I asked her, "You know those Biggie Size Cokes? How much does it cost without burden rate"?

Her reply was. "I'm not sure off the top of my head but our cost for the Cup, Lid & Straw exceed the cost of the pour. All In you're talking about 15 cents tops" Keep in mind the Coke in question sells for $1.79.

So if US Airways adds such a high burden rate to its drinks that the fully loaded cost is $8.00 then I'd argue that US Airways has a flawed business model. Done correctly each Gin & Tonic sold should have a 50% profit margin minimum. If not then somebody is doing something wrong.