$158 R/t Transcons Or 5.92 Vs 10.31 Casm

The 10.12 CASM is AA's OVERALL CASM. It is NOT the CASM for AA's 757's flying transcons to LGB. AA does not break out the CASM for each individual fleet or each route but its not a reach to assume that the CASM for those transcons is FAR below 10.12.

AAmech said:
The 10.12 CASM is AA's OVERALL CASM. It is NOT the CASM for AA's 757's flying transcons to LGB. AA does not break out the CASM for each individual fleet or each route but its not a reach to assume that the CASM for those transcons is FAR below 10.12.
Perhaps I should have just stated that AA's CASM is that much higher due to it's short-hop flights and NOT the long international routes. My point was that it is illogical to think that a CASM will go up when you are adding many, many more miles and doubling the seats. Even if costs are higher on the int'l routes, the miles and capacity increases far exceed the cost increases.

Therefore...in addition to a low-cost concept, JB has a lower CASM b/c of it's long haul routes, NOT b/c AA flies further. AA's stage length is probably much less than JB due to all of the short-hop flights.

Airlines9 said:
"There is no way that AA can raise fares."

Maybe I was wrong.

JetBlue Airways Corp. (NasdaqNM:JBLU - News) and Southwest Airlines (NYSE:LUV - News) do not have a fuel surcharge.

How can JBLU & SWA not charge a fuel surcharge and still make money? $158 r/t Transcon without a fuel surcharge and still profitable. How does JBLU do it?
The fuel surcharge you reference is not charged by AA on deep-discount fares. It is only tacked onto full F, P, J, Y and maybe B fares. Definitely not L, N or V.

Besides, it will only stick if everyone else goes along, which did not happen last month.

Royal Ambassador said:
Airlines9 said:
How does JBLU do it?

Airlines9
By paying flight attendants starvation wages?

:unsure:
No thats not how. My first month at JBLU on reserve I gross just under $4000, including per deium. Now when you add in the 3% matching 401k, the 16-18% profit sharing, & stock options its a lot more. Plus its F/A system is the most productive in the industry for both the F/As & JBLU. I could work a 10 day line and get over 110 hours pay. $30 over 70 hours, I believe, is one of, if not, the highest starting pay in the industry.

Airlines 9

Would you mind giving a breakdown of how many hours you worked and your per diem rate of pay? IIRC it is $20 an hour for the first 70 hours. That equals $1,400. You claim to have grossed an extra $2,600. Even if we were to assume that your per diem is $2.00 per hour, you would have had to fly almost 150 hours to gross $4,000.

70 x $20 = $1,400 (base hours)
70 x $2 = $140 (base per diem)
76 x $30 = $2,280 (overtime hours)
76 x $2 = $152 (overtime per diem)

Total = $3,972 salary and per diem for flying 146 hours.

OK, maybe not starvation wages, but definitely slave labor.

Royal Ambassador said:
Would you mind giving a breakdown of how many hours you worked and your per diem rate of pay? IIRC it is $20 an hour for the first 70 hours. That equals $1,400. You claim to have grossed an extra $2,600. Even if we were to assume that your per diem is $2.00 per hour, you would have had to fly almost 150 hours to gross $4,000.

70 x $20 = $1,400 (base hours)
70 x $2 = $140 (base per diem)
76 x $30 = $2,280 (overtime hours)
76 x $2 = $152 (overtime per diem)

Total = $3,972 salary and per diem for flying 146 hours.

OK, maybe not starvation wages, but definitely slave labor.
How, exactly, is $27.21 per hour for 146 hours a month equivalent to slave labor?? :p

Looks like good pay for a job they love.

FWAAA said:
How, exactly, is $27.21 per hour for 146 hours a month equivalent to slave labor??
You should know that flight crews are only paid for block hours. The clock starts when the doors are close and the parking brake is released and stops when the doors open at the destination airport. Time between flights, during boarding and after landing is off the clock. 146 hours of pay most likely involve at least one and a half as many hours on duty, if not more, and probably three times as many hours away from base. There is a reason that the base pay of flight attendants and pilots is based on a seventy hours month as opposed to 160 for those working at non flying jobs. Compare this gross amount with the wages earned by someone spending 300 hours a month at a conventional job, including the overtime premiums. Most airlines limit flight attendants to flying approximately ninety hours a month. By law, for the same rationale, pilots can only fly 1,000 hours a year.

And how about doing it and being based in very high cost of living areas like NYC, Chicago, etc?

NYC bus drivers and garbage collectors get paid more than a lot of pilots flying airliners out of JFK and LGA.

I hate to interrupt when others are busily stirring up the hornet's nest. But that $158 roundtrip is quoted over and over as if that's the only price out there. Jetblue has revenue management like all the other carriers. It has a much narrower range, but the lowest advertised fares sellout very quickly.

Winglet said:
And how about doing it and being based in very high cost of living areas like NYC, Chicago, etc?

NYC bus drivers and garbage collectors get paid more than a lot of pilots flying airliners out of JFK and LGA.
Those NYC bus drivers are represented by the TWU aren't they?

Oh the irony..........