45 minute CUT OFF--Dont be late!

Well I don't think it's that bad of an idea though it masks the true problem. It is not uncommon to wait 30-45 minutes for a table at a restaurant. It is not uncommon to wait that long to take a 2 minute ride on a roller coaster. It also isn't that uncommon to sit around that long for a dentist or doctor. Be there early enough or you don't go. It's pretty simple. If you have a personal problem and can't make it in time ie traffic, car trouble or whatever...it's not any airlines fault nor all the others who DID get there early.

Bzzz! Wrong-O!

Re restaurants, first of all, I don't wait for a restaurant table. If they're busy, I'll go elsewhere. More importantly, though, your example is one where there are more customers than capacity, just like waiting in line to reach an agent at the ticket counter. The 45 minute cut-off doesn't mean you have to enter the airport 45 minutes before departure and then wait 30 minutes in line. You have to wait in line and reach its end at least 45 minutes before departure.

The restaurant analogy would be that of a restaurant that seats people, takes their order, and then returns with the food 45 minutes later. How long do you think this kind of restaurant would last? Even snooty NYC restaurants aren't that slow.

Same thing with a roller coaster... when you get to the head of the line, you don't wait 45 minutes before boarding. You get on the next train; it's like the Shuttle with 3 minute frequencies.

If I had to wait 45 minutes to see a dentist, I would switch. I had to wait a while at an ER once, but that's the same as the restaurant and roller coaster example. You're waiting in line, not sitting there watching the doctor fiddle his thumbs for 45 minutes.

Well, however YOU see it the point is, "If you are not there in time YOU don't go". Pretty simple actually. You purchase a ticket and we provide service. The service "requires" you to be there by a minimum cutoff period. If you are not there, again YOU don't go. It's no secret that airports are backed up and TSA/airlines are having a harder time now with more checked luggage. It is what it is. Still is quicker than the train/bus.

The restaurant analogy would be that of a restaurant that seats people, takes their order, and then returns with the food 45 minutes later. How long do you think this kind of restaurant would last? Even snooty NYC restaurants aren't that slow.

Some are close. Not in New York, but in Tampa. We were seated and waited about 25 mins for appetizers only to have the entree show up 2 mins later. We sat there and waited for the server to come back (we asked for drink refill, check and take out box all at the same time), we probably spent about 1:15 including wait time.

If I had to wait 45 minutes to see a dentist, I would switch. I had to wait a while at an ER once, but that's the same as the restaurant and roller coaster example. You're waiting in line, not sitting there watching the doctor fiddle his thumbs for 45 minutes.

My doctor is usually pretty good, but this last time I got there at 1022 for a 1030 appt. They called me into the back at 1050 and then I sat there until 1110 for the doctor to show up. Then in the middle of the exam they knocked on the door and needed her for another problem so she left and came back. I was out the door at 1130 and I was only seen about 5 mins by the doctor. I remember it well because I said the next time a doctor complains to me about having to wait.... :p

One would think there'd be some sort of acceptable middle ground here....

On the one hand, I can see the airline saying passengers have to check their baggage no later than X minutes before departure. After all, if your bag doesn't arrive at your destination on the same flight as you, the airline is responsible.

On the other hand, insisting that the passenger wait for the next flight seems a little extreme.

So why not a compromise? If the passenger doesn't make the cutoff time, give them a choice - take that flight with no guarantees that their bag will make it (and no airline responsibility if it doesn't) or wait for the next flight.

Jim

How long did you wait to be processed on your recent trip to the penitentiary?

It was the county jail, not prison, you idiot. To answer your question, a couple of hours.

JS, I sat by while you insulted me and broke my stones. Paybacks really suck don't they???? :p :p :p :p :p

Oh and BTW have a revolting day!

Thanks, go blow yourself.

Well at least I do it with someone I love. :p :p :p

You posted it boy wonder. NOT ME! Live by the sword JS die by it as well. You're condescending arrogance towards me has now bitten you squarely.

Care to post your allegations? All I recall is saying that you obsess over flying US Airways, as if they're something super-special.

And truth be told if you weren't so full of yourself and self important you'd have your arse to the airport in time!

Funny how you can't manage your woman or your time! :down:

Huh? I didn't write that I missed a flight because of a strict cut-off time. I've never missed a flight in my life.

You're right that I can't manage my woman, though. Heck, no one can. When golddiggers have the law behind them, you're screwed.

One would think there'd be some sort of acceptable middle ground here....

So why not a compromise? If the passenger doesn't make the cutoff time, give them a choice - take that flight with no guarantees that their bag will make it (and no airline responsibility if it doesn't) or wait for the next flight.

Jim

We used to do this, however people seemed to "forget" that they were told their bags were VS and they would have to come back and pick them up. We ended up taking a claim and delivering them anyway because some threw a fit. So, now everyone is nogo if they are late with bags. No bags, they get rebooked on a later flight and if they make it to the gate in time can be rebooked back on their original flight.

Sorry about the kiosk not working. Did you get an agent to help you immediately or go get in another line? If you tried to use the kiosk and it was close to cutoff, ask someone behind the kiosk area to help. Travel is up and there are going to be times where cutting it to the last couple of minutes is not going to work. You'd be amazed at the number of people who come strolling in and think 20 minutes from checkin to boarding is enough time. I can tell you if things are running smoothly (at least in TPA) at 20 mins before dept, most people have already been boarded and they're just looking for the stragglers. ;)

There were no agents to help. What I find odd is when I did get an agent, she said the next flight wasn't for six hours. When I called the US1 line, they got me on another flight (with conx) departing in 30 mins. By the time I got to the counter again, I got a different agent and he checked me right in even though I had missed the deadline. He point blank said the other agent should have let me on the other flight.

NW won't bend the rules per se, that's not what I meant to say. But this automatic lockout stuff is ridiculous. Flying NW often out of DCA, 25 mins is more than enough time given they are in the old DCA terminal with very few other flights. On US in a similar situation, I'd be out of luck. On NW, agents have discretion.

Hey Boeing boy ..the other day I did a favour for a pax who missed the 30 minute cut off time...I told she could go but she would have to get her bags shipped to her by USPS, UPS, or FedEx .. needless to say she complained to corporate and coperate call my station to have her bags shipped to her..God knows what lies she told them...

Anyway no more breaks....you missed that cut off time ...you waiting on the next flight

No doubt the hard and fast rule is the simpliest to enforce, but is simpliest always the best?

Both tadjr and madder's examples seem to have boiled down to a "he said - she said" situation, with the customer winning without anything to prove otherwise. Is it impossible to have the customer that misses the cutoff agree to not holding the airline responsible by signing something or acknowledging the same through the kiosk?

Jim

No doubt the hard and fast rule is the simpliest to enforce, but is simpliest always the best?

Both tadjr and madder's examples seem to have boiled down to a "he said - she said" situation, with the customer winning without anything to prove otherwise. Is it impossible to have the customer that misses the cutoff agree to not holding the airline responsible by signing something or acknowledging the same through the kiosk?

Jim

in my case it was documented and I reference her e ticket history that showed what time she was checked in ..

Well, however YOU see it the point is, "If you are not there in time YOU don't go". Pretty simple actually. You purchase a ticket and we provide service. The service "requires" you to be there by a minimum cutoff period. If you are not there, again YOU don't go. It's no secret that airports are backed up and TSA/airlines are having a harder time now with more checked luggage. It is what it is. Still is quicker than the train/bus.

Does not keeping up with the competion mean anything to you

in my case it was documented and I reference her e ticket history that showed what time she was checked in ..
Maybe I'm just dense....

Was it documented that she was told, and agreed to, the airline having no responsibility for her baggage delivery or just that she checked in late? The former is what I meant by the "he said - she said" issue.

Jim

Does not keeping up with the competion mean anything to you
I think US and other carriers have rules that are followed correct? I'm sure US isn't the only carrier with a check in time limit. MANY do try to show up at the last minute and muscle through. It is what it is. It is NOT the airlines fault. If you have trouble at a kiosk or something then consideration should be made and an attempt made to get you AND your bags on your flight. Get there early. It's simple enough. Does Amtrak hold a train for late running passengers? THEY MOST CERTAINLY DO NOT. The greyhound bus will leave you as well.

Latest posts