55 PIT F/As Displaced

CLT basically only exists to connect people, if you believe a hub requires great O and D numbers.
There's a little more to it than that, but you have to look at history to see it....

CLT was a logical place for PI's 1st hub - among the best PI O&D markets (with RDU probably neck and neck) central to the route system and had the runways to support hub operations which RDU didn't at that time (and with the present terminal on the drawing board).

With the US/PI merger, US got a large southeast route network and hub to match. Over the years since, there really isn't anywhere south of PHL better to put a southeast hub. So the choice has been CLT or not have one.

Jim

CLT basically only exists to connect people, if you believe a hub requires great O and D numbers.

Well if your talking to me, you can read my post where I said "CLT is vulnerable too, depending on how the mergers pan out." CLT is a unique situation in that its the only 'other' hub in the southeast, and despite its low O&D, is beneficial to the US network, and combined with any other network carrier except Delta. That still might not save it in the future, again it all depends on how the mergers pan out.

CLT has the additional benefit of being a growing and economically maturing city, as does PHX. Its kind of chicken and egg with US and CLT- they have both done alot for each other even in the past decade. The US Airways hub is undeniably a huge selling point and attraction for bringing business to CLT. The new business and relocated population in turn grows the O&D and the hub. CLT/NC and US seem to understand how important they are to each other, the same can't be said for the city of Philadelphia and certainly not for the state of Pennsylvania.

I think the only merger that would have hurt it is DL. CLT probably survives a NW merger (at MEM's expense).

The biggest threat to CLT's existence as a hub is LUV. If Southwest enters CLT in any meaningful way, the hub is toast. Absent being able to literally gouge the wallet out of the local O&D pax, US will drop CLT like a bad habit.

I think the only merger that would have hurt it is DL. CLT probably survives a NW merger (at MEM's expense).

The biggest threat to CLT's existence as a hub is LUV. If Southwest enters CLT in any meaningful way, the hub is toast. Absent being able to literally gouge the wallet out of the local O&D pax, US will drop CLT like a bad habit.

I disagree about WN. They have had a meaningful presence in PHL for years now and do quite well, and it does not seem to have negatively affected US tremendously in the way the Great Prophet Dave Siegel stated would "crush US". Even if WN were to go into CLT, I don't believe US would drop CLT as you say.

I say bring on NW! If that's the only way to grow this b!#$% then let's do it! As I've said repeatedly, that would have been Doug's best move all along! Then again, that would demonstrate a true vision for the airline...never mind...there will be none of that!

CLT is not an O&D hub it is a connecting hub. More passengers connect than orginate.

OH MY GOD

Do you really not understand the dynamics of your industry?

Lesson #1. Airlines are not run on emotion. "A thorn in the side of Atlanta" ? Are you serious? Yes, thats the only reason we maintain our largest hub. To bother Delta.

Lesson # 2. Airlines are way more than pilots and flight attendants. Hubs are not dertermined by, oh, lets set up fort here and shift people through it. A Florida domicile? A domicile has nothing to do with where and how a company flies. Crew bases and hubs tend to be concurrent but don't have to be. Piedmont has a crew base in Salisbury MD, does that mean its a hub? Northwest has a domicile in Boston, United has one in Las Vegas, does that mean they are hubs? No.

Lesson # 3. The US airline industry is mature and well over its capacity. There are too many hubs as we speak, even after most of the airlines has either elimiated or dramatically reduced one. There's no "starting new hubs" at this late state in the game. The true effects of deregulation took a long time but the industry is in dramatic shift. Consolidation is coming and you will only see major airline hubs in major O&D cities. The network carriers in thier current condition can scarcely comptete in thier own fortress markets, much less randomly jump into new ones.

They can't just wake up and say La di da, isnt Florida nice. Lets set up a domicile in Tampa and randomly go into the LCC staurated Florida market, for 'points south'. While we're at it, move the planes out of Philadelphia to Pittburgh. Its a prettier airport and lots of employees live there. It'll be great!

Please explain "You never put a domicile in the center of your route structure". I am really looking forward to hearing what on earth that means. Please enlighten us.

Did you sell your screen name to somebody, because you're making sense. :p

You all must have missed the other thread I hijacked into a discussion about early 90s fashion... I still have my shallow moments. :p

:rolleyes:

It may seem hard to believe but people do actually live in America's fifth largest city. While the commuters rot in a crash pad or motel in Tinicum or Chester scouring theHub for flights, trying to get released, we're living normal lives on reserve.
You mean there is more to Philadelphia than the Lagoon and the airport? Seriously? Should I explore the city? I could have a life? HUH?

Nah, I'd rather just sit in the Latrine with the other reserves, drinkin' my lager, recapping the good ol' PIT heydays, waitin' for my recall to PIT........ :blink:

The airport in PHL sux, so the entire city does too, right?

You mean there is more to Philadelphia than the Lagoon and the airport? Seriously? Should I explore the city? I could have a life? HUH?

Nah, I'd rather just sit in the Latrine with the other reserves, drinkin' my lager, recapping the good ol' PIT heydays, waitin' for my recall to PIT........ :blink:

The airport in PHL sux, so the entire city does too, right?
i am sorry to see PIT go... but it's happening so it needs to just be accepted. the people who are from pit and have been there for years are very lucky to have had the opportunity to be based where they and their families are from. i have never had the chance to be based near my family. i had to pack up and move from my family the day that i was hired. i had to deal with it if i wanted to work here- and i did deal with it. i'm sorry to say it, but you were lucky enough to have it for as long as you did.

While Center City in PHL is awesome the city as a whole is not something that makes for a great postcard. There is no real focal point to the city. When you land and look around it just looks like the dregs of HELL. It's a very old city but there are so many things to do. I do think that many don't give Philly a fair shake. They give their opinion based on the impression they get from going from the Goon to the airport.

Back