55 PIT F/As Displaced

Sorry to bring this up but isn't this a contradiction?

No, and unless you live in PHL you wouldn't understand. Center City is great. PHL has some of the best restaurants and culture in the country--even though a vast majority of the city's residents are neither food nor very cultural.

PHL is a neighborhood city and the county (which is the city) is made up of Northeast PHL, Southwest PHL, South PHL, Fishtown, Kensington, North Philly, Chestnut Hill, Mount Airy, West Philly, Roxborough, Manayunk, etc. Some of these neighborhoods are outstanding and others, well, not so much.

Center City is great--it's clean, it's manageable, it's not overwhelming, it's walkable, it's safe, it's not terribly expensive compared to other cities its size--I love Philadelphia and people who don't haven't spent enough time in Philadelphia.

Post edited by moderator. The use of a certain word is offensive & should not be used.

They give their opinion based on the impression they get from going from the Goon to the airport.

Is the Lagoon even standing anymore? I don't have any reason to go to Essington, but I thought it was demolished?

Trust me folks, there's a lot more to PHL than Cargo City and the airport vicinity! I don't even consider that area PHL when thinking about the city. I think of Northern Liberties, Olde City, Rittenhouse, South Street, Center City (affectionately termed "the Gayborhood"), Penn's Landing, Chinatown, Fairmount Park, Manayunk, the Art Museum...

Every city has it's better and worse neighborhoods, but it's not all one big ghetto!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Phlilly leading the country in murders? Over 1 a day if memory serves me correctly...... :ph34r: :ph34r:

True...but considering where the majority of these murders usually take place, for the most part, they are not neighborhoods that you would find yourself spending much time in.

When you compare Philadelphia to other major metropolitan areas such as: New York, Los Angeles, or Miami...I wouldn't say I felt any safer in these cities and I have spent time in all of them!

Sorry to bring this up but isn't this a contradiction?
Not a contradiction at all. I'm not talking about the contents of the city. I am one of those that LOVE the city. There is SO MUCH as many have mentioned. What I'm saying is that it isn't all that appealing to the eye from a distance. You fly in and it just looks like any other city from the air. There is no distinct water front area that is a focal point as say the Three Rivers in Pittsburgh or Boston Harbor. BUT if you "get into the city" you discover so much is going on there. As for the murders, yeah they usually ARE in areas that you wouldn't wanna spend much time in. You have that in many other cities too though. EVERY city has their depressed sections. Before I moved and was a commuter I spent WAAAAAY to much time in Essington. I can't bring myself to look at the sign as I drive past it on I-95. I can still gag thinking about it. To think they are building condos there? Yeah, sign me up. :rolleyes:

No one wants to see someone get displaced, however it's not like you couldn't see the writing on the wall.. Welcome to the world of commuting.. At least the displaced Flt Attendants have the option of not moving... :huh:

PIT has been and will continue to be OVERSTAFFED even after the displacement. (Reserve factor around 32% if memory serves me correct).THIS displacement should be treated no differently than ANY other that has been completed. This is the FOURTH round of displacements OUT of PIT since 2001......what gets me is when the "Junior" people in the base got their walking papers so to speak, the more tenured employees had a "oh well attitude" and didn't blink an eye over what was going on AS LONG AS THEY WEREN'T AFFECTED. Now that they see THEIR NAME on "The LIST" they want to P*ss and Moan......and I am not buying it. What most of the OTHER bases want to know is WHY are they keeping all that dead weight sitting around at 32%? (I feel for anyone regardless of seniority that has to deal with the disruption and uncertainties that comes with being uprooted but after seeing MIA/SYR/GSO/SAN/SFO/LAX/BWI domiciles CLOSED, what makes PIT feel they are so "SPECIAL".) :down:

PIT has been and will continue to be OVERSTAFFED even after the displacement. (Reserve factor around 32% if memory serves me correct).THIS displacement should be treated no differently than ANY other that has been completed. This is the FOURTH round of displacements OUT of PIT since 2001......what gets me is when the "Junior" people in the base got their walking papers so to speak, the more tenured employees had a "oh well attitude" and didn't blink an eye over what was going on AS LONG AS THEY WEREN'T AFFECTED. Now that they see THEIR NAME on "The LIST" they want to P*ss and Moan......and I am not buying it. What most of the OTHER bases want to know is WHY are they keeping all that dead weight sitting around at 32%? (I feel for anyone regardless of seniority that has to deal with the disruption and uncertainties that comes with being uprooted but after seeing MIA/SYR/GSO/SAN/SFO/LAX/BWI domiciles CLOSED, what makes PIT feel they are so "SPECIAL".) :down:

The flight attendants in PIT have no issues with being displaced what they are taking issue with is the irresponsible comments made by Scott Kirby. You do not tell one employee group you hear their cries and recognize that displacing them would cause disruption and hardship. Then change your game plan all together and recall 90 instead or displacing. Next breath tell your most senior reserves in the system (PIT) sorry you are still over staffed and we need to follow through with your displacements. The PIT base deserves the same consideration and respect. NO base has sacraficed more PIT, including those flight attendants that have been displaced over the past 5 + years. The PIT flight attendants would of taken this graciously had senior management not stuck his foot in his mouth.

:rolleyes:

It may seem hard to believe but people do actually live in America's fifth largest city. While the commuters rot in a crash pad or motel in Tinicum or Chester scouring theHub for flights, trying to get released, we're living normal lives on reserve. We go running in Fairmount Park, or walk around South Street, or meet for lunch or the gym. If this summer is like last summer we'll be 'down the shore' or at Six Flags alot too. The money sucks but most of us have another gig anyway, so 'sitting around' is not that bad when you live there. And no, none of us live with our parents until we are 40 like in the burgh.

I've commuted several times in my career. With a block, OK, still a chore but worth it if your life is elsewhere. On reserve? Stupidity, I wouldn't do it again, at least not long term. I think its so depressing that people have that commuter lifestyle permanently. Its no way for adults to live especially on reserve.

It just seems like alot of Pittsburgh people are in denial and think that the hub and the base (which they consider the same thing- as if airlines design hubs around where its workforce lives) are coming back. Then they come here and bash Philly, OUR home, a major city they have likely never even seen. I mean its great to love your third tier home city but when do you start to realize its a dot on a map to the rest of America and the world. Its just not that important of a place outside of USAir history. Hubs in places like Pittsburgh, St Louis, Raliegh, Colombus, Nashville... they are never coming back, the industry has changed. Charlotte is vulnerable too depending on how the mergers pan out.

My heart goes out to the 55 displacements. I've been there several times, seen almost every current base we have as well as furloughland. So has pretty much everyone else at the airline. Yes, Philly has alot of commuters because the same thing happened to them. Only thier home is 3000 miles away instead of on the other side of the state. Their commute is a five hour flight with limited service as opposed to a thirty minute flight, drivable in a pickle, with tons of service a day on two airlines. Puts it in perspective. And again, as much as it may shock you, 6,188,463 make the Philadelphia metro area thier home, some that are US Airways F/As! :shock:

As usual EMBFA, you articulate yourself quite well, with wit, intelligence, realism, and savvy well-fused together. Say, do you wanna be friends? :)

Jamake1

"NO base has sacraficed more PIT, including those flight attendants that have been displaced over the past 5 + years."

This has always been the most endearing part about PIT. How would you know? I guess everyone else has been displaced so long that they have forgotten the trauma. For God's sake you can drive! The sympathy is beginning to wear thin.

Sorry but this whole issue is like ripping off a bandaid! Just rip it off and be done with it. Why the hair by hair by little hair? And while I am very sorry for those being displaced please do not come over here with a crappy attitude because you were displaced. It's a slap in the face to ALL the other bases ever closed at USAir.

All of this pumping for Philadelphia is not really necessary. It portends that the city is in dire need of exuberant support to sell itself. It is not. It's a great and physically beautiful city and lot's of people know it - New Yorkers come down in droves on the weekends. Those that don't know it are really not relevant to it's existence. The Central District has grown in population to become the 3rd largest in America, behind NYC and Chicago. Let's face it, to really enjoy any Big city, you have to afford it and many can not - so they choose and foster places like Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is not a bad place by any means, but it's not and will never approach Philadelphia as a vibrant urban center. Anyone who lives in Center City Philadelphia who doesn't enjoy the lifestyle is either underpaid, non-urbanized, or a social toad. If you truly want an objective measure of the current viability and potential of a city center, check out the new and ongoing construction - particularly of high rise structures.

Let's face it, to really enjoy any Big city, you have to afford it and many can not - so they choose and foster places like Pittsburgh.

The people in NYC say the same thing about Philly (the barely concealed snotty attitude about overpaying for real estate in a trendy market, that is).

What this is degenerating into is another arguement between PIT & PHL-which is better?
What probably scares PIT folk is that there is no family there. I've gotten the sense that PIT would find PHL as forgeign as New York or Los Angeles.
I am also guessing that the cost of living outside this country's most "livibable city" has actually risen during the last few years.
We all make the same money and am amazed that everyone is not living in Corapolis. Someone from PIT told me once"they don't travel well". I think this is manifesting itself.
Welcome to PHL, welcome to our world.

Back