'Thanks for flying Useless Airways ...'

Couple of notes from working baggage.
Not sure what the staffing is in BOS or how much time they have to research items like this or what the baggage office looked like on the day he flew. We have 2 people in the office (not BOS) most of the day and if its a bad day with lots of claims, arriving bags (that need to be delivered and leftovers or deals) will sit. The agents are so busy taking claims that it takes time to get out to sort all the leftovers in front of the office. Then another flight comes in and if there are more claims, you stop, take claims, then start searching the pile all over again. Something like a tagoff would probably be bottom of the list if there was a chance at getting the known bags out the same day.
Tag off. That means when it arrives in BOS they have no clue where it is to go. Depending on when the bag was brought to the office, you could have many flights to search for the reservation. If they were traveling interline on EI, that means they had a paper ticket which means an eticket search would have been useless. It would have taken time to look through all the arriving flights to try to find the owner. With a PIT address, that should have been a clue as to where to start looking, but since none of us were there, we dont know what they did or didnt do trying to find the owner.
If EI knew the bag didnt make the flight from BOS and hence, US didnt get it to them, they should contact US. They said (and showed) where they sent messages, but did US get them? The printer in baggage has been broken before which means it might not have reached them. Or they could have just sent tracer messages that didnt get to US directly. If EI knew the bag didnt get to them in BOS, why didnt an EI agent contact US baggage to check on a bag? Maybe they did, maybe not. An EI baggage agent could have contacted EI in BOS to go check the US leftovers (in person or via phone) to see if something was there.
It sounds like there was a breakdown all around in regards to getting the bag back to him. In many instances like this you have to have an agent who is motivated to do research and hunt down the person when a bag it tagoff. You also need the person who is missing the bag to get creative and think outside the normal channels in trying to hunt it down. It sounds like everyone was just waiting for someone to walk in and claim it or just hope that it would show up.
Also, it is the last carriers responsibility to get the bag to the owner no matter where it went astray. I've seen many times misconx inbound from Europe where US didnt get the bag until after the flight left. This means 1 day later for US to send the bag to the US and then most times another day to get it to us since we must physically clear the bag thru customs ourselves. It can be a time consuming effort with an international bag that is missing.
Since no one (appearantly) would talk to him, we have no way of knowing who did what or when in regards to try to get his bag back to him. All we know is that it was tagoff in BOS and eventually made it back to PIT.
Until someone can think of a way to get the baggage situation in better control, there needs to be better staffing to take care of the mess in the aftermath at the baggage office. If most of the other cities are staffed like my station (and BOS is a lot bigger), there are going to continue to be problems like this.

I decided to respond to Mr. McNickle's article. I emailed him today.......here's my email.......
> Mr. McNickle,
>
> What exactly was the purpose of your "editorial"? Was it your need to have a
public tantrum in a "useless" newspaper? Or do you have an ulterior motive?
>
> It seems to me that you don't travel enough domestically or internationally to
realize that your luggage is ultimately YOUR responsibility. I happen to travel
every week of the year for work. And I've been doing this for 9 years.
Internationally and domestically. Has USAirways lost my bags? Ofcourse. But
I'm also smart enough to know if I check 1 piece of luggage that my carryon
luggage will have enough cloths for 2 or 3 days incase of airline operational
issues.
>
> And just to let you know. USAirways has only lost my luggage twice in 9
years. Why such a low incident? Because I know better than to check any
luggage. I even spent 3 weeks working in Asia (Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Chia Yi
and Cheju Do island) with nothing more than 1 carryon and my computer briefcase.
And I had clean underwear every day.
>
> So to end this email, I'd like to thank you for writing such an assinine
column in a totally useless newspaper.
>
> Enjoy your future trips.

And here is his response..........

Really? Handling checked luggage is the customer's responsibility? I think the TSA might disagree with you on that point.

What about navigation during flight? How about landing? Take-off? Is anything in airline operations the responsibility of the employees/management?

All along I thought the customer's responsibility, once having paid for the ticket, was to show up for the flight. Boy was I wrong!

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I'd be pissed off too. He has valid points and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to spend eight days in Ireland without MY stuff (and neither would any of you).

Why is it that some of these posters forget the customers point of view. And when its exposed (like in the media) they attack the customer who alerts the public of this experience.

I guess, , they must feel he should just suck it up and shut up.

Geezus. How about the airlines delivering customer service like they promise the customers they will?

Heck, the guy is a reporter. You would think he would be able to get some good reason from the airline; not why his bag didn't arrive, but WHY NO ONE BOTHERED TO CONTACT THIS GUY WHO OBVIOUSLY CALLED EVERY DAY LOOKING FOR HIS LUGGAGE! As that just asking for too much???

Why all this "blame the customer" talk. Does anyone doubt that no one from US called the man back? Look at our website as a prime example. Have a problem with an IT issue on usairways.com? We'll get back with our customers in 10 to 12 business days. Sorry, not a way to run an airline. We have the worst baggage record in the industry, for God's sake! Time to step up to the plate and FIX things, not blame a customer who got screwed.

Its truly a shame. They lose the luggage for 8 days and its the customers fault for being a journalist and actually writing about his experience.

If the execs don't get it yet, neither will the employees working at U.

I decided to respond to Mr. McNickle's article. I emailed him today.......here's my email.......
>>
> It seems to me that you don't travel enough domestically or internationally to
realize that your luggage is ultimately YOUR responsibility.

No. The luggage checked is NOT the customer's responsibility. And I've worked for the airline for 25 years.

I think you've done well in 9 years because you know better than to trust them with your stuff.

This guy obviously HAD TO BUY clothes for the entire trip (8 days). I think that is just a little much to expect from the customer. And, they never called him to let him know that they have his bag in Boston. The guy did have a bag tag that had his address. What did someone do in baggage claim in BOS, just glance over it for 8 days?

This exposure should make the airline better and improve their customer service; not use this exposure to make excuses for the lack thereof. Tadjr is right on target. They should use this exposed experience and locate where the "break down" occured so they can attempt to correct it.

In addition, someone in consumer affairs should be calling him and offering him another apology for his inconvenience and 25,000 bonus miles, OR a free round trip ticket for their mishandling of the issue. Period.

You guys defend the inexcusable.

Bags will be lost or delayed on arriving with the pax. That's a given. I think that the customer in question has a legitimate complaint on his dissatisfaction on how the entire issue was "mishandled". No one on either end took the time at the end of the day to seek the owner of the bag. Its one thing to have a bag lost that is not identifiable. Its another issue to have a full business card on the bag, and no contact with the owner until they return to the states 8 days later.

He was blaming both carriers for this mishandling. Do you think its in the company's best interest to accomodate this customer after he not receiving the bag until his return? Don't you think there was some communication breakdown here? The ticket allows for lost luggage up to $750. His bag wasn't lost. Just damaged, late, and reportedly rummaged through.

You guys defend the inexcusable.

Bags will be lost or delayed on arriving with the pax. That's a given. I think that the customer in question has a legitimate complaint on his dissatisfaction on how the entire issue was "mishandled". No one on either end took the time at the end of the day to seek the owner of the bag. Its one thing to have a bag lost that is not identifiable. Its another issue to have a full business card on the bag, and no contact with the owner until they return to the states 8 days later.

He was blaming both carriers for this mishandling. Do you think its in the company's best interest to accomodate this customer after he not receiving the bag until his return? Don't you think there was some communication breakdown here? The ticket allows for lost luggage up to $750. His bag wasn't lost. Just damaged, late, and reportedly rummaged through.

Sorry PB, I do NOT trust anyone that throws the tantrums this man threw with USELESS Air being stated dozens of time. Stop defending the home guy. Even our most LOYAL FF's have blasted him. THAT should speak volumes. I DO NOT trust the press , mustless Colin. I DO trust PINEYBOB, US1. and Art. They aticulated very well what most of us think of this USELESS journalist. Sorry, we will just differ here.

Why is it that some of these posters forget the customers point of view. And when its exposed (like in the media) they attack the customer who alerts the public of this experience.
Only if you folks knew what a bad weather 98% load factor week is like in baggage service. PITbull lets get is guy to job shadow on the Sunday after Thanksgiving in PHLLL and do a report on that.

OK, do I think the guy is probably an ass? Yeah, I do (especially after that reply to trvlr64's email), but it does not change the fact that we still did a lousy job. Quite frankly, I'm amazed at how those of you who are customers posting here are lambasting HIM instead of cheering him on.

I know all about the Contract of Carriage, but it does not excuse poor customer service and lack of communication.

trvlr64 said:
And here is his response..........

Mr. Trvlr64,

Thank you for writing such a useless, rationalizing and assinine e-mail.

Colin McNickle

Guess Mr. McNickle can't take the heat and should probably not be writing for a newspaper. Poor baby. ;)

This "reporter" and I use the term lightly is a first class moron. He has an avenue in that "newspaper" and I use that term lightly as well, to write an article or op-ed or basically a b1tchfest to whine and moan. He needs to get a life.

When he travels as much as I do, or Piney or Art or US1YFARE then Mr. McNickle can complain. Until then, write your article and when finished hit the DELETE button.

;)

First of all, bear in mind that the Trib has always hated US Airways, and especially its unionized employees. That rag is owned by a right wing-nut neo-Nazi who hates workers, but wouldn't recognize "work" if it walked up and bit him on the heinie.

He made his money the old-fashioned way. He inherited it.

Secondly, the Trib is a haven for wannabes that can't get hired at the Post-Gazette (or My Weekly Reader, for that matter). And let's face it, the PPG ain't exactly the Washington Post, either.

Lastly, it's spelled "asinine". No wonder this clown could only get a job at the Trib. He can't spell.

(And you have to wonder whether he really is a "reporter". My guess is he's an unpaid college intern trying to make a name for himself in journalism by writing a "hit" piece; and that mom and dad probably paid his $125 round-trip fare to Ireland.)

I'm not in the business of being an apologist for US Airways baggage handling, in fact no one has been more critical here more times then me.

But Jeeeeezus H. Keyrist this guy set himself up for the problems he had. If this guy is an actual journalist and hasn't been living in Botswana for the last 5 years he knows the abortion that is US Airways Baggage Handling. He lives in PIT for God's sake. I went to AMS last year with exactly ONE carry one for 10 days. YES I paid for laundry service at the hotel, but I had a low stress vacation. He clearly went cheap by splitting the ticket with US and Aer Lingus and I would argue strenuosly that he got what he paid for.

I'm just dying to know if the cost saving gained by splitting the ticket was worth the aggravation he endured. US and EI dropped the ball to be sure and he should get some compensation, which IMO is what he is looking for, But to absolve him totally of culpability is absolute horse feces.

Forrest Gump said it best "Stupid is as stupid does" in regard to this reporter.

You are assuming that he knew that the reservation consisted of two fares and that an interline baggage transfer would be necessary. 98% of people who buy these tickets have no idea. They go to a web site like Expedia.com, punch in "Pittsburgh, PA" and "Shannon, Ireland", travel dates, and then select one of the many options.

More importantly, what difference does it make whether he knew there would be an interline baggage transfer? If US can't transfer bags properly, they have a real problem. Blaming the customer is pointless. He may be an ass, but that doesn't have jack to do with the failed service. His bag would have been just as lost even if he bent down and kissed every US employee's feet.

So PB can visit Amsterdam for 10 days with a carry-on ... good for you! Would you like a cookie?

His constant use of the word USELESS showed nothing but emotional, yet he couldn't stand it when used back at him. He can dish it out, but definitely can't take it which gives him ZERO PERCENT credibilty.

Really? Handling checked luggage is the customer's responsibility? I think the TSA might disagree with you on that point.

What about navigation during flight? How about landing? Take-off? Is anything in airline operations the responsibility of the employees/management?

All along I thought the customer's responsibility, once having paid for the ticket, was to show up for the flight. Boy was I wrong!

Sweetie.....I NEVER said CHECKED luggage was the passenger's responsibility. If (and that's a BIG IF) I ever have to check a bag, I have enough clothes in my carryon to get me through an airline baggage mishap.

This "reporter" checked his luggage and didn't have enough clean underwear in his carryon. Who's fault is that? I think it's his.

And since you didn't read correctly........YES you were wrong!

OK, do I think the guy is probably an ass? Yeah, I do (especially after that reply to trvlr64's email), but it does not change the fact that we still did a lousy job. Quite frankly, I'm amazed at how those of you who are customers posting here are lambasting HIM instead of cheering him on.

I know all about the Contract of Carriage, but it does not excuse poor customer service and lack of communication.

Oh please! ;) His article, editoral or whatever you want to call that crap was a useless expression and a waste of time to read. He's at fault ALONG with the airlines involved, no question at that. BUT and this is a BIG BUT, it's mainly his fault for not being properly prepared for potential problems during travel, especially international.

I am so sick and tired of the infrequent flyer(s) causing a commotion when things don't go their way. Lord almighty, if I pitched a fit every single time there was a problem for me when I'm flying I'd be wrapped in a straight jacket and hauled off to the looney bin. And we all know how much trouble there has been the last 5 years occuring in US.

So, do I complain at every hiccup I encounter? NO! I know the "rules" of travel and how to handle myself and my problems.

This fool reporter doesn't. B)

Well then 98% of the people get what they deserve. If you're an uneducated consumer of goods and services then you learn lessons like this the hard way.

Why do they deserve it? I still don't understand how it's the passenger's fault that the airline mishandled a piece of checked luggage.

The difference is if you take the time to educate yourself then you know what steps to take to minimize your suceptability to some the day to day non sense that is commercial aviation. Why increase your potential aggravation? Life has enough "Open Issues" without potentially creating more.

I agree it is a good idea to bring a few extra things in your carry-on should your checked luggage be delayed. But that is not really the point here ... US Airways sat on the bag for eight days, which is inexcusable.

As for the cookie, YES I would like one, preferably Chocolate Chip. Would you like soap on a roap for your next incarceration? :p :p :p :p

No thanks, we have individuals stalls, and should that fail, I have muscles. :D

First of all, bear in mind that the Trib has always hated US Airways, and especially its unionized employees. That rag is owned by a right wing-nut neo-Nazi who hates workers, but wouldn't recognize "work" if it walked up and bit him on the heinie.

(

Actually, its quite the opposite with the Tribune when it came to U and the employees during those bankrupt years. The Tribune was very generous with Labor in exposing the atrocities of management during those horrific years.

Pull up (the Pittsburgh Tribune) USAirways, Steve Halvonic who was the main writer for the Tribune (from about 2002-2005) who wrote about labor issues and exposed managment whenever he could...which was about every day for 3 years. He also went to the BK hearings and sat directly behind me every day in session. He is now the Communication Director for Jack Wagner, Attorney General for PA.

Also, look up Tom Olsen, Tribune, during that time as well.

You want to see some EDS (entitlement dysfunction syndrome), come to D.C. Unjustified, or invented, OUTRAGE is the number one hobby here!

I suspect Pittsburgh may be home to some proficient hobbiest, too.

Back