$625K in gold stolen at Miami International Airport

FrugalFlyerv2.0

Veteran
Oct 29, 2003
http://www.local10.c...vz/-/index.html
An American Airlines plane arrived at Miami International Airport from Guayaquil, Ecuador, and docked at Gate D3 at 4:42 a.m. A group of employees unloaded the plane -- including the box containing the gold -- and moved it to the other side of the plane about 5:15 a.m.
A tug arrived at the plane from Gate D6. It then drove away with the cart holding the plane's cargo at 5:22 a.m. Surveillance video showed the tug continue to D37 before it entered an alley and disappeared from the video. The cart was found in front of Gate D19 at 6:20 a.m. but without the box containing the gold.

That's why I always carry on my gold instead of checking it. $625k works out to a little more than 25 pounds, if my math is correct.

FWAAA ready for boarding:

:D That's funny!

I have to think that CBP is not amused when things get unloaded from an inbound international flight and somehow disappear before CBP has a chance to inspect the shipment. If 25 pounds of gold can simply disappear, then 25 pounds of coke could also disappear after it's unloaded.

Reactions: 1 person
Ramp workers should clear security on exit just as they should while entering a secure area.

That means bag search and metal detector clearance when exiting the secure airside.

Start with Miami.

that's rich... hire exorbitant insurance companies to overcome the dishonest employees...the solution is to hire honest employees and then put in place viable security procedures when handling valuable objects.

I witnessed a high value shipment being moved off of an airplane at an airport in Latin America and the aircraft was ringed by police who were better armed than most armies.

Can you see American's insurance feesing up to this lose? Or being sued by the owner for negligence!------ Are they "self-insured" on this also? -----If so, you know, someone had to change his shorts over this one!

Unless the owner declared high value on this, they're the one who is screwed: standard baggage liabilities would apply.

Which begs the question... was this declared as a high-value shipment on the paperwork, alerting the crews that there was something really good to snatch?

Making employees go thru exit security isn't going to fix the problem of pilferage. They'll just manage to stash it in a catering cart and have someone from SkyThiefs drive it out for them, or find another way to get it out of the secure area, i.e. throw an expedite tag on it and send it to another airport...

Ramp workers should clear security on exit just as they should while entering a secure area.

That means bag search and metal detector clearance when exiting the secure airside.

Start with Miami.
Maybe pilots should too just in case some mini's are missing!

Latest posts