$625K in gold stolen at Miami International Airport

I'm saying that good companies don't blame the customer because the company screwed up.

And let's also be VERY CLEAR that AA NEVER said that they would not compensate the customer. There are a couple of people on this website who have repeatedly argued that the passenger/shipper would be screwed because of their loss.

yes, good companies do right in the eyes of the customer even if the customer didn't do what's right.

Given that law enforcement is involved and the potential exists that this incident could prove very costly to AA far beyond $625,000 then a lot of companies would indeed choose to take care of the customer.

But what is most notable is that even if the customer called the shipment "used toilet paper" there are still liabilities for every package/piece of luggage that has to be paid - which is completely contrary to the position that several people here have taken.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm saying that good companies don't blame the customer because the company screwed up...
yes, good companies do right in the eyes of the customer even if the customer didn't do what's right.
What company here blamed the customer?

It would seem that you want AA to just fork over $625,000 in gold to the customer because that would be what a "good company" should do.

"There are companies that admit what they have done and make it right and there are those who look for every opportunity to blame everyone for their problems."

So what exactly are you trying to say here? You want them to admit culpability even though none of us know what happened?

Maybe they should call up the folks at Delta and find out the best way to handle this situation.

nowhere did I say that AA did anything wrong in their handling of this incident. My comments ahve been directed to the members here who have tried to say that AA was absolved of any responsibility in the incident, even before they knew whether it was a freight shipment or passenger baggage.

We really DON'T know how AA has handled the situation.. but w/ lots of press and the law involved, I doubt if they blew it off quite as quickly as their supporters on here want them to.

However, there are clear connections between the attitude the "you're screwed, customer" crowd on here and the way AA has operated, esp. WRT its employees and its customers in other situations - which is validated by the "one of the worst companies" award. The fact that these two so quickly fell into that mindset regarding this situation says they have been well-schooled in the same art that AA apparently practices in other situations about which the details are known.

The fact that these two so quickly fell into that mindset regarding this situation says they have been well-schooled in the same art that AA apparently practices in other situations about which the details are known.
Glass houses/stones and all here WT.

There are few here who are more "well-schooled" in the art of making a sh1t sandwich look like an appetizing lunch. This is especially true when it comes to comparing a Delta performance to any other.

Change the name of the carrier to Delta on this gold heist and we would see a ballet performance only rivaled by the Bolshoi.

Reactions: 5 people
Glass houses/stones and all here WT.

There are few here who are more "well-schooled" in the art of making a sh1t sandwich look like an appetizing lunch. This is especially true when it comes to comparing a Delta performance to any other.

Change the name of the carrier to Delta on this gold heist and we would see a ballet performance only rivaled by the Bolshoi.
+1
Well stated!
Let due process decide.
Heck, there may not even be any gold, who knows?
That's why there is FBI and insurance investigators.
B) xUT

but wait.. .we were already told that insurance would not pay.

My beef again is with those who boldly asserted that the customer lost even w/o knowing the details of the case.... and in reality none of us will know esp. since there is a criminal investigation involved. Those who know don't participate in this little online exercise.

The principles of how companies are run and how their employees think are very apparent, however.

I've been married long enough to know not to argue with a woman who is wrong...

That same principle applies when it comes to WT.

There are reasons why airlines and other common carriers have declared limits of liability: to limit their liability in the event of loss or damage.

Sorry that's such a hard concept for you to comprehend, WT.

And yes, AA's limits mirror those of your beloved failure-proof DL.

The applicable IATA resolution can be read here:

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/Documents/resolution600b-july2010.doc

For the record, it doesn't matter if it was baggage or cargo. The same limits apply, be it Warsaw or Montreal Convention.

Nobody ever said that insurance wouldn't pay -- I've said all along that AA's insurance would pay the standard liability, which is most likely 19 SDR's per kilo.

Reactions: 3 people
There are reasons why airlines and other common carriers have declared limits of liability: to limit their liability in the event of loss or damage.

The applicable IATA resolution can be read here:

http://www.iata.org/...0b-july2010.doc

For the record, it doesn't matter if it was baggage or cargo. The same limits apply, be it Warsaw or Montreal Convention.

Nobody ever said that insurance wouldn't pay -- I've said all along that AA's insurance would pay the standard liability, which is most likely 19 SDR's per kilo.
and I don't disagree with this one iota... but that wasn't what was said.... on multiple occassions in this thread, multiple people said that the shipper would not be compensated EVEN though I repeatedly said there were standard limits for all shipments, passenger or cargo.

It is precisely because this is industry standard policy that has nothing to do with Delta or AA despite the fact that there are people who tried to turn the thread into an us vs them thread. And were shown to be wrong. Again.

There are posts that specifically said "AA isn't out any money...." and yes there are people that said insurance wouldn't pay.

which you have now validated isn't true and validates that what I said from the beginning was true, despite your little video clips.

(rolleyes)

Of course AA is out some money. Under Montreal, it will come out to about $25 per kilo.

That's roughly $750 if you assume that the 11kg of gold was in a box weighing 19kg.

Latest posts