$68 Million Net Income In Third Quarter

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Not bad at all. UAL managed to earn a healthy profit in the third quarter:

UAL Corporation Reports Third-Quarter 2005 Results

Monday October 31, 10:16 am ET

- Third-Quarter Operating Earnings of $165 Million, a $245 Million Improvement Year-Over-Year Despite Higher Fuel Prices Negatively Impacting Fuel Expenses By $405 Million
- $68 Million Net Income, Excluding Restructuring Charges
- Predominantly Non-Cash Bankruptcy Related Charges of $1.8 Billion Result in Net Quarterly Loss of $1.8 Billion
- Mainline Passenger Unit Revenue up 11 percent
- Mainline Unit Costs Up 5 percent on 5 percent Lower Capacity Excluding Fuel, Mainline Unit Costs Down 5 percent

CHICAGO, Oct. 31 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- UAL Corporation (OTC Bulletin Board: UALAQ - News), the holding company whose primary subsidiary is United Airlines, today reported its third-quarter 2005 financial results.

UAL reported third-quarter operating earnings of $165 million, $245 million better than the same quarter last year, despite higher fuel prices for the mainline and regional affiliates negatively impacting fuel expense by $405 million year-over-year. UAL reported a net loss of $1.8 billion, or a loss per basic share of $15.26, which includes $1.8 billion in reorganization items. The company believes the best indicator of United's post-reorganization financial performance is provided by reviewing operating and net earnings excluding restructuring charges. Excluding the reorganization items, UAL earned a net profit for the third quarter totaling $68 million.

Reorganization items were primarily driven by $1.7 billion in non-cash aircraft rejection charges. It is common for the results of operations of companies progressing through Chapter 11 to be impacted by non-cash charges related to their reorganization, especially as restructuring work nears completion. Charges based on the claims of our creditors are recorded at the amount expected to be allowed by the court. However, as shown in our Plan of Reorganization, these claims are expected to be settled at exit for a minor fraction of the amount of the charges recorded. Looking forward, the company is expected to record a large gain at exit in 2006 when these claims are settled for less than the amounts originally recorded. It is important to note that this is a matter of accurate accounting, and that neither the aircraft rejection charges recorded at this time nor the gain expected to be recorded at exit in 2006 have any significant impact on the company's cash position.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051031/nym127.html?.v=27

Once UAL can stop paying all those bankruptcy parasites (lawyers, bankers, consultants, etc) things should get real good. Congrats!

Over 1000 posts and he still hasn't learned enough to realize that not only do they pay their bills, they also have millions of $$$ in bk fees too. :huh:

head_up_ass.jpg

Let them say what they want. They were praying for us to file Chpt 11 three years ago............payback's a #### folks. They aren't going to like it after we emerge. I agree Busdrvr, the spineless weasles will buckle without a fight.

Let them say what they want. They were praying for us to file Chpt 11 three years ago............payback's a #### folks. They aren't going to like it after we emerge. I agree Busdrvr, the spineless weasles will buckle without a fight.
This AA employee has always posted here that UAL isn't going to liquidate (Too good of a franchise). However, in bankruptcy, it is you who have buckled. You took large cuts in compensation and lost your deferred compensation (pensions and other post retirement benefits) and ESOP. So you in effect took a retroactive paycut for prior years of service. We at AA never had an ESOP and still have our pensions and other post retirement benefits.

You won't once you complete that inevitable trip through bankruptcy corut.

Enjoy it while you can.

In spite of two concessionary rounds, my contract is still looking better than the concessions you folks took...outside of bankruptcy.
I'm not a F/A so I am not knowledgeable about the detailed comparisons between the UA and AA F/A contracts with regards to layovers and other matters. But I do remember all the talk about chaos because the UA F/As lost their pension and other retirement benefits. If your contract is so much better than AAs, then why does attrition at UA seem much higher than that at AA? UA is going to be hiring F/As soon and it has been said that many of those laid off turned down recall. The only good news is that the F/As were the only group at UAL to not participate in the ESOP.

Latest posts