757 Etops & The Usairways Deal

AA191

Advanced
Sep 17, 2002
Was flying back to PHX a few days ago and while talking with the Flight Crew I saw a 757 ETOPS Manual. Well, as this is the first time I ever heard of HP with ETOPS flying on the 757, it peaked my curiousity.

As USAirways does not fly to Hawaii, nor does HP, shall we assume that the 757's will begin service to Hawaii under the US flag? The crew said that only some of the HP 757's are ETOPS approved. Also the crew said that the company was looking at flying to the outer islands and not HNL.

What have you heard?

http://biz.yahoo.com/cbsmb/050509/f464953f...26c7c.html?.v=1

AA191 said:
Was flying back to PHX a few days ago and while talking with the Flight Crew I saw a 757 ETOPS Manual. Well, as this is the first time I ever heard of HP with ETOPS flying on the 757, it peaked my curiousity.

As USAirways does not fly to Hawaii, nor does HP, shall we assume that the 757's will begin service to Hawaii under the US flag? The crew said that only some of the HP 757's are ETOPS approved. Also the crew said that the company was looking at flying to the outer islands and not HNL.

What have you heard?
[post="267692"][/post]​

http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php...42&#entry263142

dont know if this means anything but.....

'awa' is a very big part...the heart, if you will...of .....

Hawaii

We are indeed preparing to go to Hawaii, but the destination seems to be HNL. They are apparently starting with a fleet of three 757-225 aircraft for that route.

Every AWA FA and, from what I understand, all 757 pilots are going through emergency water procedures and getting familiar with the new onboard equipment.

Also heard will be using 767 and A-330 for that service from PHX and LAS. Not sure but I think you guys use to fly that in the 74 in the old days.

If there were any B767-300ERs parked, I would look at trying to land them, but only at a good price. The B767 would give HP/US a much better chance at hauling some lucrative cargo over and back. The B757 just does not take the same size cargo and weights. This could help ensure that Hawaii runs wold be profitable. Just my thoughts.........

There are postings on this board that claim that some of the aircraft upon which UAL's TRO preventing repossession has been overturned are 767-300s.

From United bb

QUOTE(uafa21 @ May 9 2005, 07:55 AM)
Does anyone know what the 14 aircraft are?

According to an article in the WSJ today, eight 3-class 763s and six older 737s.

Non of the US Airways aircraft are ETOPS capable.. We looked at making some of the 757's ETOPS but the cost was prohibitive. The aircraft were not delivered with any of the required systems for ETOPS operations. US dropped the idea.

Only the 767-200's and A330-300's are ETOPS capable in the US fleet.

AA191 said:

What have you heard?
[post="267692"][/post]​

Several years ago(5-6?) US Airways flew a proving flight to Hawaii with a 757 to get FAA approval for that service--the company never started the service. As to a merger--will HP do a "mirror image" of US proceedures or the other way around. With all of the ETOPS experience at US, between Europe, the Carribean and Central America, it would seem that US proceedures would prevail with the FAA rather than re invent the wheel.

US Airways never flew a 757 ETOPS to Hawaii!! None of our aircraft are equiped for ETOPS operations.. That includes the Eastern aircraft 600 to 609 and the 757-2B7's. There was talk at one time of upgrading the 757's to ETOPS but it was cost prohibitive. The remaining 8 757's that US Dumped were going to come delivered ETOPS capable but Wolf ditched them in favor of the A321.. (which is a useless aircraft in anyone's fleet)

The Hawaii proving run you are talking about was with a 767 and it was to certify US Airways for 180 min operations. (which we no longer have, down to 120 min)

d9ever said:
Several years ago(5-6?) US Airways flew a proving flight to Hawaii with a 757 to get FAA approval for that service--the company never started the service. As to a merger--will HP do a "mirror image" of US proceedures or the other way around. With all of the ETOPS experience at US, between Europe, the Carribean and Central America, it would seem that US proceedures would prevail with the FAA rather than re invent the wheel.
[post="268043"][/post]​

IThink u might be referring to the proving run done in 1990 - a 767 - I was part of the crew, proving run done to HNL as a part of qualification for expanded service to Europe. Currently NO 757's in the US fleet are ETOPS qualifed..........
d9ever said:
[post="268043"][/post]​
:p :p

justaumechanic said:
US Airways never flew a 757 ETOPS to Hawaii!! None of our aircraft are equiped for ETOPS operations.. That includes the Eastern aircraft 600 to 609 and the 757-2B7's. There was talk at one time of upgrading the 757's to ETOPS but it was cost prohibitive. The remaining 8 757's that US Dumped were going to come delivered ETOPS capable but Wolf ditched them in favor of the A321.. (which is a useless aircraft in anyone's fleet)

The Hawaii proving run you are talking about was with a 767 and it was to certify US Airways for 180 min operations. (which we no longer have, down to 120 min)
[post="268111"][/post]​

The A321 is not a bad aircraft, as long as you don't try to send it to do a 757's job. It's good for it's higher capacity and comfort, but just doesn't have the range or performance to really be considered capable as the 757.

US Airways has 180 min ETOPS. There was a brief period a few months ago that they lost it, but it is back now. Check your info and update it.