9/11 approaches, embassies to close in the Arab World due to terror threat

For one year yes but the defense dept needs a long term plan. I was thinking more along the lines of skipping a destroyer or two. Actually, I was just reading up on the Littoral Combat Ship (LTC) which from what I have read is a joke as have been many other defense projects that have failed miserably (Lancer B-1 and the Sgt York come to mind). The LTC program has cost close to $40,000,000,000 to produce a ship that cannot really do what it was designed (sold) to do. Supposedly it was designed to perform multiple duties due to its ability to swap out modules with in 96 hrs. Only thing is it cannot swap out modules in 96 hrs unless there is a dock near by that has all the necessaryequipment and has the required modules on standby. The last time the Navy tried to do the quick swap it took a few weeks to set it up. That set up is some what burdensome when you have a conflict going on and need a ship on patrol ASAP. At $400m a pop, it's another example of the US defense system trying to reinvent the wheel.

I think the $40 billion could have served the embassies well along with providing updates to the VA computer system and clearing out some of those back logs created by a war that was never funded to begin with. .... but I digress.

It does look pretty cool. That's got to be worth at least a few billion so it was not a total waste.

Reactions: 3 people
For one year yes but the defense dept needs a long term plan. I was thinking more along the lines of skipping a destroyer or two. Actually, I was just reading up on the Littoral Combat Ship (LTC) which from what I have read is a joke as have been many other defense projects that have failed miserably (Lancer B-1 and the Sgt York come to mind). The LTC program has cost close to $40,000,000,000 to produce a ship that cannot really do what it was designed (sold) to do. Supposedly it was designed to perform multiple duties due to its ability to swap out modules with in 96 hrs. Only thing is it cannot swap out modules in 96 hrs unless there is a dock near by that has all the necessaryequipment and has the required modules on standby. The last time the Navy tried to do the quick swap it took a few weeks to set it up. That set up is some what burdensome when you have a conflict going on and need a ship on patrol ASAP. At $400m a pop, it's another example of the US defense system trying to reinvent the wheel.
​
​I think the $40 billion could have served the embassies well along with providing updates to the VA computer system and clearing out some of those back logs created by a war that was never funded to begin with. .... but I digress.
Never heard of the Navy's LTC program! I am, however, familiar with the Navy's LCS program. But you're right, we should have taken the 40 billion and invested it in another Solyndra, Fisker or Brightsource.

Never heard of the Navy's LTC program! I am, however, familiar with the Navy's LCS program. But you're right, we should have taken the 40 billion and invested it in another Solyndra, Fisker or Brightsource.

I agree we should have invested in far more of the programs. The more we broaden our investment the better the chances for a return. The energy crisis this country is facing is not something we can afford to wait and have 'free enterprise' catch up with. We have been dealing with the energy issue since the gas shortages of the 70's and still have done nothing to get ahead of the issue.

Spelling issues? Really?

Reactions: 3 people
The same thing was said about investing in NASA and funding a government program exploring a future of connected computers, etc.

We all know how those programs were wastes of money (at first).

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=internet-pioneer-cerf

The same thing was said about investing in NASA and funding a government program exploring a future of connected computers, etc.

We all know how those programs were wastes of money (at first).

http://www.scientifi...et-pioneer-cerf
Well that's all fine and dandy if the funding is actually going into research and development of new and promising technology. Far more efficient solar panels and hybrid cars were already being developed in the private sector. The administration was advised by their owe experts that these were not good investments, yet, the investments were made anyway! Very few taxpayers (employees) benefitted temporarily from these investments. In the cases I mentioned, there is every indication that these "investments" were nothing more than a hat tip to large political campaign donors. It's hard to believe that the government "invested" 350 million dollars to create each job at Solyndra! There is not one private investor who would have ever touched that business proposition.

I'm not naïve to think this administration pioneered this kind of fraud, it has been going on throughout my lifetime and by all parties. I am however sure of one thing . . it must come to an end!

You ALWAYS have an Excuse nearly everytime someone (KC Flyer this times) asks you a crystal clear question !!!!!!!!!!!!

Any chance as a kid, you answered a lot of questions with a..... " Yeah,.. B U T " ??

Yeah, but....with your lord and savior dissing Al Qeida all over the globe and MSM sucking his azsss over coverage, will you be surprised when Al pops a 4 Kt nuke over and American city just to show us Obama is full of crap?