911 memorial banner at DFW

WeAAsles

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
This is for my fellow employees at DFW. I've always thought the banner remembering our fellow employees who died on 911 was very insulting. FOR the love of our country, FOR the love of our industry, FOR the love of American Airlines, You will be remembered. First they only include names on that banner of people who were working those flights that day and not standby employees? Very insulting #1. #2 Very huge insult in my opinion. FOR the love of AA? Am I to assume that those people died on those flights because they loved American Airlines? Shouldn't the banner have read something like" From American Airlines with love and respect" You will be remembered.

Nothing personal to anyone who does but I don't love AA. I love my family, friends, and my dog. AA is just my job. No more, no less. I sometimes feel that this company wants to foster a communist culture among there employees with the retoric that they spout out. All of these team inishitives that they try to throw out at us. Pull together Win together is only an ideal for them. We the employees get nothing from them.

Please let me know if anyone thinks I'm wrong about that banner? That thing has bugged me since day 1 they put it up.

You let it get to you . . . they win.

True True. But it's such a sad shame that they really didn't care about any of those people from day one. That banner was just to make it look like they cared to the employees and customers and they couldn't even get that right. Maybe you're right and I should consider it funny how dissconected from humanity management really is?

Management issues aside, why can't anyone take pride in their job at AA? Or at least feel respect for the history it has had in the industry? WN makes statements like this all the time, and the employees are only too happy to agree with the sentiment... perhaps that is one of the reasons it ranks so high in customer satisfaction? Is there something fundamentally flawed with a legacy carrier attempting to promote that same sentimentality? Perhaps if AA employees had the same morale levels as their WN counterparts, it would go a long way...

I guess my point is, why the double standard? Happiness should be carrier-independent (again, management aside).

- astra

Perhaps if AA employees had the same morale levels as their WN counterparts, it would go a long way...

I guess my point is, why the double standard? Happiness should be carrier-independent (again, management aside).

- astra
Perhaps if AA had the same wage levels as their WN counterparts, it would go a long ways. That is just part of the problem, we could go for years describing the rest of the problems. <_<

Management issues aside, why can't anyone take pride in their job at AA? Or at least feel respect for the history it has had in the industry? WN makes statements like this all the time, and the employees are only too happy to agree with the sentiment... perhaps that is one of the reasons it ranks so high in customer satisfaction? Is there something fundamentally flawed with a legacy carrier attempting to promote that same sentimentality? Perhaps if AA employees had the same morale levels as their WN counterparts, it would go a long way...

- astra

What in the world does this have to do with my post? I take a great deal of pride in the job I do no matter where I work. When does a company finally take pride in there employees? My job is NOT my life though, maybe it's yours? I've been to a few WN parties. They get paid well though and WN does seem like they care about there employees. AMERICAN DOES NOT!! They DO NOT try to foster any type of relationship with there employees. I am not a cheerleader for a freekin football team. I'm a man who works for a typical greed filled US fatcat, take care of it's execs at any expense American corporation.

Respect for AA's history? Why should I care!!!! Do they have any respect for my history here on this world? Listen obviously you are Management or someone who needs to stir your own interests, but you don't work for my company I think and should only reply to something that you have knowledge of. If you don't need your salary then you should donate it to charity or something. We work for compensation here in the US. It's called Capitalism not Communism.

or AA's history? Why should I care!!!! Do they have any respect for my history here on this world? Listen obviously you are Management or someone who needs to stir your own interests, but you don't work for my company I think and should only reply to something that you have knowledge of. If you don't need your salary then you should donate it to charity or something. We work for compensation here in the US. It's called Capitalism not Communism.

hey hey now, wait a minute. No. I make a lot less than you starting off at a carrier that is not AA. But I still have a love for AA that transcends what they (carty & co.) have done to my family. My dad was a TWA 767 FO and is still furloughed. But that doesn't mean I don't recognize the second chance [the merger] gave to the company [TWA] or MCI for that matter. Yes, a lot of people got a worse deal. And yes, my father is now flying for someone else [foreign cargo]. But he hasn't given up his recall rights and that doesn't mean we should be so cynical. This company could benefit from a little positive optimism such as that which is shown by the company I currently am working for and has been recognized by the industry. And I won't stop admiring AA for what they once were and what they could well be, again, either. But not if their employees are like you, they won't.

this is just how i feel, from my family's situation. my personal opinions only. thanks.

hey hey now, wait a minute. No. I make a lot less than you starting off at a carrier that is not AA. But I still have a love for AA that transcends what they (carty & co.) have done to my family. My dad was a TWA 767 FO and is still furloughed. But that doesn't mean I don't recognize the second chance he gave to the company or MCI for that matter. Yes, a lot of people got a worse deal. And yes, my father is now flying for someone else. But he hasn't given up his recall rights and that doesn't mean we should be so cynical. This company could benefit from a little positive optimism such as that which is shown by the company I currently am working for and has been recognized by the industry. And I won't stop admiring AA for what they once were and what they could well be, again, either. But not if their employees are like you, they won't.

I'm sorry, maybe some peoples worlds revolve around the aviation industry. Mine just doesn't and never has. I'm not a pilot. I'm at the bottom rung of this co. I'm a baggage handler. I am topped out though but I didn't have a dream as a child about working with or flying airplanes. I grew up in NYC where we had plenty of other things to occupy our minds. What was AA once? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job. I just don't like the executives who are becoming the modern equivalent of robber barrons today.

I'm sorry that you feel like you have to personnaly attack someone for there opinions. But if you just follow blind leadership without education then you're a fool. Or a blind optimist. Don't you think at the next contract negotiations at WN you're going to be giving consessions? Southwest's employee costs are now well above there nearest competition and they're losing those great fuel hedges. They're also fast becoming a major carrier. Wait and see, you'll have paycuts just like we did. Lets see your positive optimism when you take a 25% paycut like we did. People who visit my glass house shouldn't throw stones either. Good luck to your dad, I hope he gets recalled soon.

P.S. Don't tell me I should be an optimist for AA when the paycuts made me lose my house and that preasure made me lose my wife. Sorry man but sling that hash somewhere else. :down:

I understand what you're saying and I hope you don't think I was trying to personally attack anyone. My point was I just think people should be able to take pride in their jobs no matter what #### is in charge or how little they're getting paid.

I don't work for WN though, but more and more I wish I did. ;)

take care dude

- astra

I understand what you're saying and I hope you don't think I was trying to personally attack anyone. My point was I just think people should be able to take pride in their jobs no matter what #### is in charge or how little they're getting paid.

I don't work for WN though, but more and more I wish I did. ;)

take care dude

- astra

It's OK Astra. And I do take alot of pride in the work I perform. I have the commendations to prove it. Theres just a big difference between working for a large Co. against a small Co. In a large Co. they only know you by your Emp #, hence you're a piece of equiptment to them. In a small Co. they go by your name. But you don't get the pay or benefits associated with a small Co. So you make your choice in life. I choose pay and benefits over my name. Was it the right choice? For me it was.

By the way this whole side bar still was way off my main topic?

Back