A A Aircraft Undershoots Denver Runway

goingboeing said:
If the aircraft had been a B-757 the vertical satabiler would have stayed on the fuselage.
TWA had B-727 in 1979 that went into a nose dive from 36.000 feet...

The Aloha Airlines B-737 lost a 15 foot section of the crown skin all the way down to the floor level and the aircraft DID NOT break up.
I
[post="204896"][/post]​

Don't forget the 727 on approach to Athens, Greece in the 80's that had a bomb go off in the hold. Blew out the right hand side of first class and the first few rows of coach. Plane landed safely at Athens. My boss at the time was sitting 3 rows aft of the hole in the plane. He praised the integrity of Boeing a/c for many years after.

Try this with an Airbus.....

b52h-5.jpg

Former ModerAAtor said:
Try this with an Airbus.....

b52h-5.jpg

[post="205207"][/post]​
thats pretty damn amazing, i remember seeing an A10 warthog from the first gulf war which was missing 1/3 of a wing and still managed to make it down o.k.! ive never wrenched an airbus but have often heard them referred to as "Scarebus"

thats pretty damn amazing, i remember seeing an A10 warthog from the first gulf war which was missing 1/3 of a wing and still managed to make it down o.k.! ive never wrenched an airbus but have often heard them referred to as "Scarebus"

On December 4 1965, a TWA 707 and an Eastern Air Lines Connie collided in midair over New York. The 707 lost part of the left wing and landed safely at JFK. Unfortunely the Connie tried to make a crashed landing on an open field and 3passengers plus the captain perished.

Senor Pelon said:
thats pretty damn amazing, i remember seeing an A10 warthog from the first gulf war which was missing 1/3 of a wing and still managed to make it down o.k.!
[post="205245"][/post]​

There was at least one incident where a 707 lost more than half a wing and landed safely. Seem to recall one incident where an outboard engine exploded, taking the engine mount and outboard portion of the wing with it, and another where Pan Am at either LAX or SFO clipped an approach light tower on takeoff, again, tearing off the outboard section of wing.

N924PS said:
. Didn't the old Boeing 707 have a "Q" Limiter that performed essentially the same job as the FAC mechanically?
[post="204783"][/post]​

Yup. For some reason it was called a Q spring. But it wasn't a spring, rather a bellows, I seem to remember. It used ram air to tell the rudder how much or to little it could move. At the time, we were told it was to prevent over-controlling the plane. No one ever thought anything about a vertical stab failure. 747s and tens had rudder limiting systems, too.

The following photos blow holes in the B.S. theory that Airbuses are junk. These are from an A300 in Iraq that was hit by a missle. The airplane lost all hydraulics, yet was still able to be landed safely.

awesome pics PK, im sure a combination of excellant piloting skills and a little luck brought them down safely :up:

It still comes down to that the weather was at mins and they had a unstabilized approach. If there is ever a time that you do not want that situation it is then. They had every opportunity to go around even being asked about it by ATC.

We will know when the NTSB report is released. If AA ahd FOQA I am sure it would be great event to review.