Flt 268 SEA-JFK diverted to ORD, off runway into grass

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Hope everyone is ok. Looks like a 757 might need some repair.

An American Airlines flight went off a runway at O'Hare International Airport this afternoon, but no injuries were immediately reported.

The plane landed about 1:50 p.m. at O'Hare runway but went off the runway, according to a Chicago Fire Department spokesman.

As of 2:10 p.m. emergency officials were evacuating the 757, which had skidded off the 22R runway into the grass, according to officials.

"It's in a safe location. Right now we're addressing everyone on board and there have been no transports at this time," Chicago Fire Department spokeswoman Eve Rodriguez said.

In a recorded statement, the Federal Aviation Administration said the Seattle-to-New York flight was diverted to O'Hare because an indicator light in the cockpit was going off.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/09...o-injuries.html

"The plane had to come in faster than normal because its pilots could not rely on their gauges to find them a safe speed and other readouts, the sources said"

Are you kidding me...

Another Pilot error.....

<_<
"The plane had to come in faster than normal because its pilots could not rely on their gauges to find them a safe speed and other readouts, the sources said"

Are you kidding me...

Another Pilot error.....

Isn't that why they have standby instruments in the cockpit???????

Are you kidding me...

Another Pilot error.....

Don't really know at this point, do we?

Don't let that hold you back if you really want to share with us.

<_<

Isn't that why they have standby instruments in the cockpit???????

My first guess would be that they(backups) failed. No one deliberately goes into the grass and blows all those tires. This airplane obviously had some pretty bad mechanical issues. Looks like the pilots had a major struggle on their hands.

Are you kidding me...

Another Pilot error.....

Why don't you change your screen name to Jack a$$, Jager... but then again, you'd be insulting a Jack a$$.

They had No thrust reverse, No anti skid, a bunch of electrical anomalies, regular PLUS standby instruments that were acting up, inop spoilers, and a bunch more stuff that was either inop or acting up.

But obviously, you'd do better.

Deleted by Moderator: No, namecalling please.

I have always been curious about this but since the slides weren't deployed can/do Passengers take there Carry-On Bags with them? I would think so but I don't work in the Industry.

It's a glass cockpit. All electric. Nothing wrong there, but...aren't the airspeed and altimeter still driven from a pitot static system which requires no electricity?

Standby Inst. operate with independant Pitot and Static sys.Also emer.power gets its elec. power from the Batterys.This plane has back up systems for the brakes and the anti-skid systems.
For all these systems to fail is unlikely.
Let the FDR and voice recorders sort out this mess.

Standby Inst. operate with independant Pitot and Static sys.Also emer.power gets its elec. power from the Batterys.This plane has back up systems for the brakes and the anti-skid systems.
For all these systems to fail is unlikely.
Let the FDR and voice recorders sort out this mess.

Right! Unlikely, but certainly not IMPOSSIBLE. Thank goodness that the crew were able to get this plane on the ground without having a major incident.

Some of the major airline incidents are caused by a confluence of mechanical issues. Some are simply multiple human errors. Some are a combination of both. I'm sure that we find out...

I am curious as to why they did not land on the longest runway at O'Hare instead of 14R.

They will, however, have to answer for not taxiing to the terminal fast enough. Clearly a job action.