United 777 clips American MD-80 at ORD

MiAAmi

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Two Planes Touch On Runway At O'Hare

POSTED: 5:16 pm CDT June 27, 2007
UPDATED: 5:29 pm CDT June 27, 2007

CHICAGO -- Two departing airliners made contact on a runway at O'Hare International Airport during a severe thunderstorm on Wednesday afternoon, but no one was injured in the incident.

City Department of Aviation spokeswoman Wendy Abrams said United Flight 149 for San Francisco and American Flight 1817 for Seattle touched on Runway 9 at about 3:50 p.m.

"There were no injuries, and there was no fuel leak reported," Abrams said. "One of the aircraft taxied back to terminal under its own power and the other is being towed back," Abrams said about 5 p.m.

The right wing tip of the United B777 clipped the tail of an American MD-80 as both were waiting out the storm in the 9 Right holding pad, according to a statement from the Federal Aviation Administration. The United aircraft was moving while the American aircraft was stationary at the time.

The FAA said that in the holding pad area, aircraft are responsible for maintaining their own separation from other aircraft.

The FAA is investigating the incident and the National Transportation Safety Board has been notified.

Hey, a couple of rolls of duct tape and AA will have their equipment back in service in no time!

tape_duct_lg.jpg

I like how the FAA just dumped the blame on the pilots.

Well, in this case, it's true. Ground control is obligated to keep traffic organized, but the pilot is the responsible for not running into stationary objects. It's the same in the alleys and at the hangar.

Well, in this case, it's true. Ground control is obligated to keep traffic organized, but the pilot is the responsible for not running into stationary objects. It's the same in the alleys and at the hangar.

I know how newspaper reports are; you take them with a grain of salt. There are a lot of other facts that have to be looked at. Did ground control put to many A/C in a small pace? Did ground control put a wide body on a narrow body line? Was the lines painted correctly for the type of A/C?

Taxiway lines aren't segregated as far as I know, and given how congested ORD is, I suspect the ground controllers know what they're doing. Can't say the same for UAL's pilots...

Taxiway lines aren't segregated as far as I know, and given how congested ORD is, I suspect the ground controllers know what they're doing. Can't say the same for UAL's pilots...

I just love media that point figures and most likely twisted what the FAA really said.

What exactly is being twisted?

“The FAA said that in the holding pad area, aircraft are responsible for maintaining their own separation from other aircraftâ€￾.

I take that as front and back, not wing tip taking off vertical stab.

The media said the FAA said the above statement which blames the UAL pilot point blank. The FAA most likely did not say those exact words that would point blame.

Separation works in three dimensions in the air, so why should it be only one dimension on the ground???

When I drive my truck and trailer, I have to maintain separation from the bumper of the guy in front of me, and keep my trailer from sideswiping vehicles in the lane on either side of me.

Taxiing an aircraft isn't any different.

Separation works in three dimensions in the air, so why should it be only one dimension on the ground???

When I drive my truck and trailer, I have to maintain separation from the bumper of the guy in front of me, and keep my trailer from sideswiping vehicles in the lane on either side of me.

Taxiing an aircraft isn't any different.

I disagree with you. As a CDL driver I fully understand the rules of the big road. As an AMT I also fully understand taxiways and runways. On taxiways/runways if you follow the line painted line on the ground you will not get in trouble unless you run into some ones ass. In this situation one A/C was moving and the other wasn’t and a wing tip took out a vertical stab., I’m sorry it just doesn’t compute how it was written per the media.

This wasn't on a taxiway, though. It was in the penalty box.

It's been a while since I drove out on ORD's AOA, but there weren't any painted lines on the hardstand areas or the penalty boxes, with the exception of lead in lines for designated parking spots.