Another S-80 Off The Runway

MiAAmi

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2766812

No one injured after jet veers off runway
An American Airlines jet carrying 109 people veered off a runway during landing Saturday at Denver International Airport.

There were no injuries, nor was there damage to the MD-80 airplane, airport officials said.

Flight 1125, en route from Dallas,
traveled off the runway for a "short distance" and then came to a stop, DIA spokesman Chuck Cannon said.
It had not been determined late Saturday why the plane veered off the runway, he said.

There was minimal damage to Runway 35-Right, resulting in a brief shutdown of the runway while the airliner was towed, Cannon said. Airport operations were not interrupted.

My wife and her parents were on that flight. They said that almost immediately after the wheels touched, the plane veered into the grass. The pilot retuned the plane to the pavement quickly and then tapped the brakes until it came to a stop.

From her explanation, it sounds like one of the reverse thrusters malfunctioned and the pilot was forced to use the brakes earlier than normal. I assume he was tapping them to avoid overheating. My father-in-law reported clear liquid beneath one of the main landing gear after deplaning near the runway. He wasn't sure if the fire trucks had anything to do with that.