A Bad Day @ Phl

They'd never do it because it MAKES SENSE.

If the efficient layout of PIT would allow for more operational efficiency and fewer PAWOB's, I would imagine the savings would be greater than the extra spend on PFC's. I would think this place would be profitable now if it weren't for Philly Phactor and outstanding management decisions by CCY (not).

Also, if I am not mistaken, don't PFC's go down if volume goes up?

I am sure that Allegeny County would be willing to at least talk to the new management.....

Given the fact that the MINIMUM delivery charge around here is $9.00 for every bag claim and that PIT is said to cost $10pp and CLT 1.50 (Dont know how much PHL is), it would at least cover all of the baggage claims for misconx bags thru PHL. You'd still have to deal with the local people, but if they werent concentrating so much on connecting stuff, they might have the people and facilities to focus more on the local end of the operation.

Company today says PAWOB's are only 8 per 1000 customers. The numbers they use have always baffled me, because I see a much higher rate than that everyday of the week. I think the numbers are skewed because they count the number of passengers that travel with or WITHOUT checked bags in that figure. A more realistic number would be counting only those customers that CHECK baggage. Of course, if you only take carry-on's..chances are that your carry-on luggage will arrive with you on the same flight.... B)

WestCoastGuy said:
Company today says PAWOB's are only 8 per 1000 customers. The numbers they use have always baffled me, because I see a much higher rate than that everyday of the week. I think the numbers are skewed because they count the number of passengers that travel with or WITHOUT checked bags in that figure. A more realistic number would be counting only those customers that CHECK baggage. Of course, if you only take carry-on's..chances are that your carry-on luggage will arrive with you on the same flight.... B)
[post="282658"][/post]​

Often a party of two or more will have all of their bags listed under one passenger. That further skews the statistic.

WestCoastGuy said:
[post="282658"][/post]​

Don't forget that cities other than PHL do a far better job keeping people and bags on the same plane. An informal (and by no means scientific) survey of several outstations shows that many (or most) flights from LGA and DCA arrive with narry a PAWOB.

I remember seeing a study last year that shows at the average cost of a PAWOB for a domestic airline is nearly USD 100.00 when all factors are considered.
'fraid I don't remember the source, however.

Getting back to the original topic of thread, Tuesday was yet another awful day in the NE.
Looks like LGA and EWR got it just as bad as Philly, possibly worse. Maybe I'll pop over and take at look at the CO forum to see if there is anything there. [after checking] Nope. Last comments are from three days ago, about concessions. Gee, maybe their staff and customers have better things to thann kvetching on US Aviation! :D

After reading this thread, I'll get on my knees in thanks that I dispatch for an airline with no EWR,LGA, DCA, and especially.....PHL involvement! I used to work for ALO till a year ago and can tell you PHL was just a horrible thing to deal with.

PHL has always been a difficult environment but CO manages to make do with EWR and its operational difficulties. I'd like to hear from those who know what CO does differently in EWR than US does in PHL.

Also, I suspect CO carries a much higher percentage of local traffic to EWR than does US at PHL. Perhaps WN has realized that PHL is a nasty place to fly but if you do fly there, don't try to carry connections; take those through BWI (where they just opened a beautiful new facility).

Here are the links I use if anyone is interested....

ATC Command Center map

If the airport isn't on the map, you can just display a section of the country (northeast, southeast, etc) to see more airports. It's interactive - just put your cursor on the airport you're interested in and click.

ATC Operational Information System

Initial page lists delayed airports nationwide and has links to the latest advisory for those airports. You can also see information on specific airports by expanding the "East" or "West" directories (click on the +) and selecting which enroute center's airspace that airport is in (PHL is in NY center airspace (ZNY) under the East directory). This gives you 3 pages of info - allowable arrival rates with various combinations of runways, traffic management tips, and an airport layout.

ATC Advisory Database Queary page

Just click on "Show Selected Advisories" to see all advisories issued by the ATC command center that day (day is based on zulu time, so runs from 8PM to 8PM eastern during daylight savings time). You can also select past day's advisories.

Airport Arrival Demand Chart

A graphical depiction of arrival demand at a specific airport by time increment. Just pick the airport from the list (bigger airports only). You can color-code the chart by arrival fix, carrier, etc.

Finally, a site that can be interesting for a little while - live ATC communications over the web:

LiveATC.net

Not every airport is available, but PHL is. Apparently, volunteers have scanners that feed the communications into the web. One caution - there's one choice for PHL tower and one for PHL approach (I assume the same is true for most other airports). Unfortunately, PHL has 2 tower frequencies and multiple approach frequencies so whenever the scanner locks onto a transmission on one freq you miss what's happening on the others.

Jim

WorldTraveler said:
Also, I suspect CO carries a much higher percentage of local traffic to EWR than does US at PHL. .... don't try to carry connections
[post="283073"][/post]​

I checked out some CO conx and for the most part, they are very limited in what they carry via EWR. Many of the cities I checked only offer 2 or 3 conx and they are, for the most part, an hour to two hours on ground time. I only found a couple conx that had 35-1 hour conx. Many of these were into the larger cities (BOS, etc) where there were actually multiple flights. Into the upstate NY cities, there were very limited choices compared to the schedule of US in PHL. In other words, it appears that you can connect in EWR, but its not the main purpose for that city on many routes. (Many of the conx were showing via CLE)