A Four-Point Crisis Management Strategy from the CIO Of US Airways

singh4us

Senior
Mar 13, 2005
Cyberspace
Visit site
A Four-Point Crisis Management Strategy from the CIO Of US Airways

US Airways CIO Joe Beery shares how he meets challenges from his perch at the center of a turbulent, demanding industry.

By Michael Friedenberg

July 11, 2007 — CIO — “If I wasn’t a CIO,†says Joe Beery, CIO of US Airways, “I would probably be an ER doctor.â€

Beery clearly thrives on stress. And at US Airways, he’s obviously in the right place, dealing with 3,742 daily departures, 36,602 employees and an extremely demanding, often agitated customer base. If you add to all that his ongoing challenge of integrating America West’s and US Airways’ computer systems after their late 2005 merger, Beery becomes a perfect person to ask about crisis management.

Having recently dealt with long lines and extensive travel delays caused by a troubled switch to a new computer reservations and ticketing system, Beery has some well-earned insights and advice on how to handle emergencies. His four best practices are:

1. Don’t abandon what you know. Go back to basics. An emergency is not the time to try something new. Make sure that you and your team execute on the blocking and tackling. The play doesn’t need to be pretty, but it definitely needs to work.

2. Lean on your partners and team. You know what they can do and you have to trust that they will rise to the occasion. A crisis is not the time to put a partner or vendor on notice. That time may come later, when everything is fixed. But during the crisis, you focus on fixing the problem while reminding yourself why you partnered up in the first place.

3. Lead, communicate and get into the field. This is not a time to disappear. Communicate more than you ever have; be clear in your communication and, if possible, do it face-to-face.

4. Deal with problems head-on. Be as realistic as possible about what the problem is, and be even more realistic about what it will take to fix it.

I think this is all pretty sound advice from someone who knows a thing or two about crisis management. One always hopes that issues like Katrina, 9/11, blackouts or systems meltdowns never occur, but in today’s business world you can’t rely on hope; you have to have a plan. As a wise man once told me, “Plan your work and work your plan.â€

http://www.cio.com/article/123309/A_Four_P...O_Of_US_Airways

I see this nominated for a Pulitzer Prize in Fiction next year.....
:up:

When I saw the thread title, the word "oxymoron" came into my head immediately.

CIO is a respected magazine in the IT field... but is the author employed by the SandCastle? This all sounded good, but as we all know, Tempe didn't practice very well what was preached in this article.

This article is bookmarked to use in an upper-level course I teach to CIS majors this coming fall. US IT in the last 18 months is going to be a case study in my course.

How about all those computers that were ordered and delivered for the new POC positions that will start on monday.

IT usairways has not even begun to install them, can they do this all in 4 days? NOT!

So now you have all these customer service agents starting a new position to help with misconnects, downsized a/c etc., and they have nowhere to go! Should be interesting, once again, management , wake up and smell the expresso !

As someone who has run larger integrations than what Beery is doing, let me add a 5th:

Have your proverbial sh!t together so that you don't need points 1-4. I find it works much better that way.

Beery clearly thrives on stress. And at US Airways, he’s obviously in the right place, dealing with 3,742 daily departures, 36,602 employees and an extremely demanding, often agitated customer base.

ATTN Mr Berry- most of the 6000 employees that work with the computer system you're in charge of dont appreciate the stress we're currently under from the agitated customer base so anything you could do to actually get the computer system TO WORK like its supposed to would be a terrific help. Thanks. :down: :ph34r:

US Airways CIO Joe Beery shares how he meets challenges from his perch at the center of a turbulent, demanding industry.
With all the technology problems that remain at USAirways, how does he have time for an interview?

:up:

When I saw the thread title, the word "oxymoron" came into my head immediately.

CIO is a respected magazine in the IT field... but is the author employed by the SandCastle? This all sounded good, but as we all know, Tempe didn't practice very well what was preached in this article.

This article is bookmarked to use in an upper-level course I teach to CIS majors this coming fall. US IT in the last 18 months is going to be a case study in my course.

Oh I cant remember the movie in which Robin Williams played a teacher, but you made me think of this.
It's relevant. Teach them well. :up:

I’ve flipped through issues of CIO and it seems like a competent trade journal.

But really, did Stephen Glass write that article?

Stephen Glass (born 1972) was an American reporter for The New Republic, who was fired for basing his articles on fake quotes, sources, and events. The story of Glass's downfall is told in the 2003 film Shattered Glass.

Now we know the rest of the story! Its all a lie!!!

You thinking of Dead Poets Society or Good Will Hunting. I do both of his roles in my teaching position. :rolleyes:

Yep, "Dead Poets society" , that's the one. Loved 'Good Will..' too. I love your way of thinking though.
U's IT implementation is certainly is a great example of what not to do. If I may indulge. :D

Back