A Glance Into The Future Of Customer Service

youngblood

Senior
Jan 17, 2004
I thought this was hilarious and wanted to share with everyone.

Today a CS agent got a call from a Gen Sales agent because she wanted to share her experience with an Antento employee. Apparently, a gentleman was trying to book a reservation online at .com and was having a very difficult time. He called our 800 # to get assistance for the online booking. Obviously, our agent could not help him but offered to get an agent from .com on the line. For one reason or another she stayed on the line (probably to placate an already irrate customer), when the Atento employee answered she introduced the customer and was going to transfer the call. WELL ........... she decided to leave the line open and listen because the .com agent was being snippy. To make a long story shorter, the .com agent was fairly nasty but to make matters worse she started to have a conversation with someone near her in Spanish. Apparently she was talking rudely about the passenger and saying some pretty nasty things. (BTW she didn't even bother to put it on mute or cover the mouth piece) Little did she know the customer was a Spanish instructor. He interrupted and let her know in no uncertain terms that he did not appreciate what she was saying.

Another example of the fine service our passengers will be getting. A pnr was recieved from .com today due to an online failure. We had to ticket the reservation. In order to ticket, we must have remarks in the record confirming as much from .com. The remarks read, " Please conbert due to sistem falure."

I, I, I, I, ... I yam zee frrrito banditooooo!!!!!!

IMO, it would appear that English, with or without correct spelling/grammar, and in proper form or otherwise, is becoming a 2nd or maybe even 3rd language in The United Staes of America today(if it hasn't already).

:rolleyes:

PineyBob said:
If it were me I'd write Consumer Affairs post haste. If I worked at US and could get away with it I'd advise ANYONE who is unhappy with the support or service from ANY US employee contract or otherwise to contact Consumer Affairs.

Geez I guess I'll have to ask my co-worker what the swear words and derogatory are in Spanish so I'll know them if I have to call dot com support.

Well I guess it's better than learning Hindi.
[post="256865"][/post]​

Only 8 I's and 1 me in that post Piney. You are getting better.

You beat out Severed-N-Happy and he started his post with 5 straight I's. :up:

Severed-N-Happy said:
I, I, I, I, ... I yam zee frrrito banditooooo!!!!!!

IMO, it would appear that English, with or without correct spelling/grammar, and in proper form or otherwise, is becoming a 2nd or maybe even 3rd language in The United Staes of America today(if it hasn't already).

:rolleyes:
[post="256857"][/post]​

No need for the xenophobic comment -- the Atento employees are in El Salvador.

youngblood said:
Another example of the fine service our passengers will be getting. A pnr was recieved from .com today due to an online failure. We had to ticket the reservation. In order to ticket, we must have remarks in the record confirming as much from .com. The remarks read, " Please conbert due to sistem falure."
[post="256851"][/post]​

Ernie can be conned only on Sesame Street, Bert. ;)

Looks like someone needs to teach the outsourced help some tact... and some English.

JS said:
No need for the xenophobic comment -- the Atento employees are in El Salvador.
[post="256899"][/post]​

There is nothing ZENOPHOBIC about this comment. When my great-grandparents immigrated to this country from eastern Europe they HAD to learn to speak the language of this country. Today, it is US who are required to learn their language. I am sick of going into Home Depot and Sears and finding Spanish on everything.

Immigrate to Germany or France and try to live there without learning the language. You won't survive very long.

Our government might as will start putting every language on everything out there. Road signs, newspapers, etc. Why is it only Spanish? What about Korean? Japanese? Chinese? Russian? Polish? Serbian?

Think about it!

usairways_vote_NO said:
Maybe the answer is to close the borders and kick everyone out?
[post="256959"][/post]​

If my grandfather was still alive he'd go for that. But I say everyone should be on an equal footing. Spanish is the 2nd language in this country only because we have allowed it to be. My family spoke it's native tongue at home. As a young child I enjoyed this. I wish I still spoke it today. But once outside the home, we all spoke English. We wrote in English. We understood English.

trvlr64 said:
Why is it only Spanish?
[post="256957"][/post]​
I'm going to take a SWAG at answering this one. <_<
Encarta cites the US Bureau of the Census in noting that the second most commonly spoken language in the US is Spanish. Third is "Chinese" (no distinction given for dialect). There's an order of magnitude difference between Spanish (28M people) and "Chinese" (2M people).

And it's not "only" Spanish, either. Head to areas of the country with high concentrations of Chinese, and you'll see signs in Chinese!

trvlr64 said:
If my grandfather was still alive he'd go for that.  But I say everyone should be on an equal footing.  Spanish is the 2nd language in this country only because we have allowed it to be.  My family spoke it's native tongue at home.  As a young child I enjoyed this.  I wish I still spoke it today.  But once outside the home, we all spoke English.  We wrote in English.  We understood English.
[post="256965"][/post]​

Would your grandfather say it should be retroactive or should he be grandfathered in?

Maybe it is because we are a nation comprised of immigrants and spanish happens to be the most common 1st language of those immigrants?

It is part of that something that makes this country great. Freedom. Maybe freedom of speech has two meanings?

trvlr64 said:
There is nothing ZENOPHOBIC about this comment. When my great-grandparents immigrated to this country from eastern Europe they HAD to learn to speak the language of this country. Today, it is US who are required to learn their language. I am sick of going into Home Depot and Sears and finding Spanish on everything.

Immigrate to Germany or France and try to live there without learning the language. You won't survive very long.

Our government might as will start putting every language on everything out there. Road signs, newspapers, etc. Why is it only Spanish? What about Korean? Japanese? Chinese? Russian? Polish? Serbian?

Think about it!
[post="256957"][/post]​

If you visit other countries, you would be surprised at how many people speak English. It's easier for us to travel overseas and use English than it is for them to visit us and use French or German or Chinese, etc. Someone who speaks only Spanish who isn't visiting California, Texas or Florida will have a tough time, and they will learn English eventually. Their kids would learn it much sooner if it weren't for the idiot public schools that insist they continue to speak their native language even though they plan to stay here forever. :down:

When I visited Chile last September, I found it hard to practice my Spanish because most people spoke English to me. The signs in every airport (not just SCL) are in Spanish and English (try to find a Spanish sign in a small airport in the U.S.), most people who run hostels speak English (these are not places frequented by foreigners), and most of the restaurant menus have two sides -- Spanish and English.