A Good Move By Delta

skyflyr69

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
Delta Orders Classier, Sexier Uniforms
Cash-strapped Delta Air Lines has ordered up a makeover of its employee uniforms, hiring a big-name designer who promises a classier--and in some cases, sexier--look for flight attendants, airport agents and other workers......
perhaps U could do the same and get rid of those silly looking dresses on the f/a's.
oh better yet, how about some "hooters" girls on board. :p

Would be nice, but this is not the time. Making employees go out and have to pay $500 or $750 for new uniforms could wait until a better time.

I couldnt agree more. But, it's just another example of this mgmt/the airline does not care at all about image. The f/a group, the agents, the terminals the airplanes etc, all look tired, worn and outdated. Hate to say this, but it looks JUST like what TWA did in their last years.....
An update of new shirts/blouses, ties ,scarves, overcoats etc. would spruce things up and give everybody a new outlook. Image is vital! The travelling public DOES notice!

Here's my solution--golf shirts, dockers, athletic shoes. I'm sure the company could negotiate a great rate on shirts and pants. With the money I blow on dry cleaning the current polyester rags I wear, I might actually come out ahead. Oh, and there's that comfort thing, too.

ps-Didn't DL change their uniforms about 2 years ago?

Most airlines change uniforms about every 3-4 years. Delta changed uniforms last in 2001 I think. US Airways is the only airline that thinks it OK to run around in rags looking like we just escaped from the naval academy. US Airways has not changed uniforms since the late 70's! Putting money into something like uniforms can go a long way toward image and employee pride. But, management will just let us continue to look like crap so what difference does it make trying to convince them otherwise?

Delta changed thier uniform in 2001, and will debut this new one designed by Richard Tyler (thats a famous, good designer) in 2006. Song is already wearing uniforms designed exclusively by Kate Spade.

The costs are much the same as changing a livery- you have to do it eventually, so why not phase it in slowly. The perfect time to start is while they have a smaller workforce (Delta actually plans on calling back, its amazing). Five years for a uniform is a long time. Fast food restaurants change uniforms constantly, as do hotels and other customer service industries.

A new look is a major perception change for customers and employees alike. Like US330 said, the US Airways uniforms are dreadful. They are the most drab and generic airline uniforms I've seen. They look cheap- if you look at some peoples uniforms, Delta's curent one or American, they most likely cost the same but dont look cheap. Our uniform doesnt represent anything... smack on some wings, your a F/A. No stripes, no nothing. No colour so people might guess what airline we're representing. No way to distinguish between gate personel, flight attendants, Express employees, cart drivers, customer on his way to a funeral... There have only been slight changes to the uniform in twenty years (keep the uniform, we'll mail you the buttons with our new corporate idenitity-its the dawn of a new day!).

I could rant on and on about US Airways blatant disregard for its image and how it relates to its current position and inevitable downfall, but anyone can pull up my previous posts if they wish.

And oh yeah, marketing... I think Delta's fashion show on Morning Television was great advertising.

See here

The company is supposed to replace worn out uniform parts every 18 months I think so you could gradually change the uniform with a final cutover 2 years from now and not spend any more money than it currently has to to get the new look in place. Also there are quite a few parts of the uniform that the company does not provide for free and these could be switched out with no charge to the company if the employee wanted the new look. I also think they could offer the new look uniform for employee purchase now if you dont want to continue wearing the pall bearer outfit until its time for a replacement. I'd even buy my own clothes if it included dockers and polo shirts this time or something a bit more relaxed. Its loads of fun lifting heavy bags all day while wearing a coat and tie. (Thankfully they arent making us wear a coat all the time any more).

Can you imagine "our" girls doing a fashion show? :blink: (Let's not mention the weight and age factor). Oops, I just did. The mere thought makes my skin crawl! Have you seen what our Rome bound crews look like-compared to other international carriers? Yikes! Maybe it's a good thing our company is "reactive" and not "proactive" when it comes to marketing our Inflight product.... ;)

Our international crews can just be fitted at Georgia Tent and Awning. Take a bolt of fabric...a few jumbo size safety pins and boom.....a Transatlantic uniform!
:lol:

Acrazy8-

Agreed on that one. Nothing is more embarrasing than walking by an international airline crew in Europe with a US crew. I'm not talking about physical looks, I'm talking about the uniforms and appearance. You've got Betty whos wearing the mauve shirt with no tie tab, covered by the sweater vest with wings hanging off it, her frizzed hair pulled into a scrunchie (classy). Then you have LO/DO Bob with a mullet who brought a tie but didnt feel the need for wings. Way in the back you've got old Gladys with her glasses swinging around her neck, panting as she tries to keep up. All are wearing shoes that look like they serve a medical purpose.

No, dont put them in any of the historical uniforms!

In all seroiusness, I hate the "casualization" of every last thing in our culture and would like to avoid that. I also shudder to think what "sexy" would be (old Gladys pulling off a part of her uniform like Janet Jackson after the meal service :eek: ). I think our image should be business professional as that is the customer base we (allegedly) cater to. There should also be a slightly military look to F/A uniforms- they are crew members, not golf caddies, housekeepers, pall bearers, hookers, or librarians.

I agree. We do have a senior workforce. The issue here is the uniform. We need some "newness" in our product. However, I would drop over dead before I would serve Envoy in khakis and a polo! (As would my business class customer)! :huh:

Back