American Brings Back Bomber Jacket

Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
American brings back bomber jacket

Optional addition to pilot uniform gets a mostly warm reaction

09:35 PM CST on Monday, February 16, 2004

By KATIE FAIRBANK / The Dallas Morning News

Harking back to the styles of aviators of old, American Airlines will allow its pilots to sport leather bomber jackets in the cockpit.

The black jackets, which will be optional, are seen as a way to honor the traditions of pilots, increase their cool factor with customers and, the airline hopes, cheer up employees in the wake of pay cuts and corporate instability.

"We think that the finest aviators in the world deserve the finest uniform accessories," wrote Mark Hettermann, American's vice president of flight, in a letter to the airline's pilots.

Soon after sending the note, the Fort Worth-based carrier was inundated with questions about the uniform change. Flight administration officials asked pilots to be patient in an e-mail message Monday.

"We do not yet have ordering information. Please do not call your crew base office ... as they don't have any info either," the message said.

The airline isn't yet able to say how much the jackets will cost, which company will make them or when passengers will start seeing pilots wearing them.

American has been borrowing from its traditions in several decisions lately. For instance, the company stepped up to sponsor events honoring the Wright Brothers' first flight and Vietnam-era aircraft.

And then there was the recent decision to keep the caps that pilots wear.

"I basically endorsed the hat. It's a request to honor the tradition," said Capt. Hettermann.

Now, the airline is going even more traditional with the black leather jacket.

Leather dates back to the early days of flight when pilots needed protection in open cockpits. In World War I, heroic pilots had a rather shaky success rate, but they looked dashing in their leather trench coats, goggles and scarves.

Later, serious pilots such as Charles Lindbergh and Amelia Earhart, celebrities of their day, were often pictured wearing leather jackets.

Then by World War II, the traditional jackets took on the moniker of "bombers" and were worn by entire flight crews who donned them for battle.

In the 1950s and '60s, the U.S. Air Force lost interest in the style and the jackets began losing their military significance. It was around then that the style was co-opted by teenagers trying to rebel along the lines of Marlon Brando and James Dean. Motorcycle riders, band roadies and the "Fonz" also picked up on the style.

"I think the leather jacket is one of the most important menswear items of the 20th century," said Myra Walker, director of the Texas Fashion Collection at the University of North Texas. "It's a status symbol within a lot of different classes."

In the 1980s, the Air Force and Navy decided to take their tradition back, hoping that the leather jackets would increase morale and retain pilots, who were ditching the military in droves for better pay in the commercial airlines.

Mixed reactions

But now, it's the airlines themselves that are adopting the leather jacket for their crews.

"The pilots absolutely love them," said Greg Crum, vice president of flight operations for Dallas-based Southwest Airlines Co. Southwest added the leather bomber jacket as part of the pilot uniform about a decade ago. "We made them an optional uniform accessory."

Pilots at FedEx Corp., Alaska Airlines and some commuters also have adopted leather jackets as part of their pilots' wardrobe.

"I think it keeps us in contact with our roots. It's obviously a symbol of aviation," Capt. Crum said.

Gregg Overman, spokesman for the Allied Pilots Association, said that some of the pilots at American really like the alternative.

As with the blue wool uniforms that American pilots now wear, they'll have to pay for them out of their own pockets.

"The way I would look at it is it just gives our pilots a choice. No doubt some of them will appreciate that," he said.

Not all of them though. Several have been complaining on pilot chat rooms about the decision. Their objection is that they took a 23 percent pay cut and the company is talking about their outfits.

"I don't think they're against leather jackets or think that it's a horrible idea. It's the idea that Rome is burning and we're going to get spiffy jackets," said New York-based Capt. Sam Mayer. "From what I'm hearing, it's more bad timing than a bad idea."

Meanwhile, other airlines are also looking at uniforms as they try to restructure. For instance, cash-strapped Delta Air Lines Inc. has hired a designer to sex up the uniforms for its flight attendants.

Designer approves

Fashion designer Stan Herman, who helped design pilot uniforms for FedEx, United Airlines and JetBlue Airways, said American's decision to add a leather jacket is good.

"It certainly has more roots in aviation than what they're wearing," he said, adding that he was pleased to hear that American was going to use black rather than its traditional blue in the jacket.

"That was a wise decision. There's nothing hokier than a navy leather jacket," he said. American brings back bomber jacket

Optional addition to pilot uniform gets a mostly warm reaction

Will the other groups be able to purchase these jackets?

Will the other groups be able to purchase these jackets?

cio, you worry about buying a jacket. I will worry about my future. Besides, AMTs will not be able to afford these jackets since we took a huge pay cut without a vote.

Why dont you try and sell TWU bomber jackets. "Bomber jackets from a bomb of a union!"

This look more like something you would pull off the PR Newswire. Are you already making moves to go right into management when we get AMFA?

Bob and Ken,

You guys are certanily the epitomy of what a union brother should be. Someone puts up some information, harmless at best, and you find some kind of crap to gripe about. Good job!!

Why don't you go and comment on the number of layoffs at NWA (new topic) that Jeff matthews has reported and the fact that they are coming back for more.

Oh right, I know, freedom of speech. . .you go ahead and make yourselves look smart.

twuer said:
Bob and Ken,

You guys are certanily the epitomy of what a union brother should be. Someone puts up some information, harmless at best, and you find some kind of crap to gripe about. Good job!!

Why don't you go and comment on the number of layoffs at NWA (new topic) that Jeff matthews has reported and the fact that they are coming back for more.

Oh right, I know, freedom of speech. . .you go ahead and make yourselves look smart.
My my, arent you getting sensitive?

A lot of the guys were talking about the prerecorded phone call they got from the TWU yesterday.

We also heard that Luby, Gless and company are going to the MIA membership meeting.

Boy, are you guys getting desperate?

The prerecorded message said there would be a follow up call. The guys cant wait!

Bob Owens said:
twuer said:
Bob and Ken,

A lot of the guys were talking about the prerecorded phone call they got from the TWU yesterday.

We also heard that Luby, Gless and company are going to the MIA membership meeting.

The prerecorded message said there would be a follow up call. The guys cant wait!
I consider it DAMAGE CONTROL.

Somebody has to fix what amfa and it's organizers have screwed up.

The calls are no different that amfa thinking that I am going to put an amfa sticker on my car. There are many other places that I would rather put it!! ;)

If you want to talk desparate then why the amfa cards in the information they sent out. I thought they had enough cards????????????? :shock:

twuer said:
Bob Owens said:
twuer said:
Bob and Ken,

The calls are no different that amfa thinking that I am going to put an amfa sticker on my car. There are many other places that I would rather put it!! ;)

If you want to talk desparate then why the amfa cards in the information they sent out. I thought they had enough cards????????????? :shock:
Because they want 60%.

So I guess that you are putting your AMFA sticker the same place that the line guys have, and will put the TWU stuff they send out, at 60cent postage.

twuer said:
Bob Owens said:
twuer said:
Bob and Ken,

We can't control the damage the twu has caused. We need to stop the damage and rebuild our profession.
As for the topic of jackets I am glad cio has appointed himself fashion lookout at AA. Just like twu credit cards, I don't care about jackets or credit cards. I want to be paid for my responsibilities. That's it.
As for being the epitomy of being a union brother thank you. I believe in being a craft union brother NOT an industrial union brother. Now tell me why this is bad. But tell me with your real name. Unless you wish to form a coward union.

Why don't they have a Danger Control meeting at the Mighty 514 along with the International? Oh thats right, they have to give out the option for UB to get people to show up! Did they give out UB to attend @ the line station Danger Control meeting, along with an "EDUCATED UNION MEMBER" shirt? Maybe that will be the norm to attend meetings now.....Maybe they will get the bright idea to hand out these new jackets because they know they made their members take a 33- 43% pay cut, like the OSM_AMT new classification did and created a new B or C scale .. Did the Twu forget about this classification because we sure haven't seen the "AN INJUSTICE TO ONE IS AN INJUSTICE TO ALL" shirt lately in an OSM SHOPS. What about a DANGER CONTROL meeting in one of these shops? You better bring the jackets just in case!