A&P jobs with Pinnacle...why even bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PurduePete

Senior
Jun 15, 2006
I just ran across this job posting for aircraft mechanics at Pinnacle Airlines for their DTW location...

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Job...-247437025-W3-2

Look at the starting base pay...$13,800.00-$17,930.00/year! For those of you without a calculator nearby, that works out to a whopping $6.63-$8.62/hour, based on a standard 2080 hours worked in a year. Why would anyone even consider starting out as an A&P at Pinnacle when you could make more at a fast food joint?

I definitely do not like the regression that this profession has taken in the last few years...and for this we only have the scabs to blame! :down:

Yeah, and at a fast food joint you have flexible hours and most major holidays off to boot!

The regress is awful. You can blame scabs but the reality is the blame is on us for not having a weeding out process or even a qualification process. We relied on the FAA and management too much and as a group, Aircraft mechanics are too disjointed.

We should have developed levels of licenses from apprentice to master in both maintenance and avionics as well as classifications between General, corporate and commercial aviation. They are very different operations.

We should have had licensing renewal tests with required continuous training, testing and licensing renewal fees.

We need to eradicate the opinion that mechanics are a "dime a dozen".

I would certainly have my doubts about the mental capacity of any A&P who decided to accept the responsibility that the job entails for those obscenely low rates. One can make more working in a mall with no responsibilities. I certainly hope no one applies and that they have the same trouble recruiting mechanics as some of the other regionals are having recruiting pilots.

I would certainly have my doubts about the mental capacity of any A&P who decided to accept the responsibility that the job entails for those obscenely low rates.

I understand that sentiment and sometimes i agree with it. But you can also apply it to school teachers who deal with misbehaving children and angry parents for peanuts. They are in demand, highly educated and poor.

A lot of A&P's have an addiction to technical & environmental challenges as well as risk. It's a real charge to see a jet you worked on all night fly over the airport fence.

Working on a choo choo train, an automobile or a machine that makes widgets all day is not nearly as exciting.

The A&P's you need to doubt are the bottom feeders that come in the back door while you're out front defending your job.

I just ran across this job posting for aircraft mechanics at Pinnacle Airlines for their DTW location...

http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Job...-247437025-W3-2

Look at the starting base pay...$13,800.00-$17,930.00/year! For those of you without a calculator nearby, that works out to a whopping $6.63-$8.62/hour, based on a standard 2080 hours worked in a year. Why would anyone even consider starting out as an A&P at Pinnacle when you could make more at a fast food joint?

I definitely do not like the regression that this profession has taken in the last few years...and for this we only have the scabs to blame! :down:
My God! I started at my first A&P job in 1981 at a banner towing operation for more money. Just amazing. But, this is what the industry has come to. My advice remains: If you are in the industry, get out. If you are thinking about starting in the industry, don't. Do something else.

Small typo there, that 13-17 was the hourly rate which equates to 28-37k/yearly. Still sucks!!! Let see, do I want to turn wrenches on cars for more $$$ and 5 day normal work week or work on A/C 3rd shift, working the majority of holidays and tues-wed off.....tough decision?????

Or if you just LOVE planes get a job fixing stuff where you travel by plane.

For any one contemplating a "field service" job.
I did that for eight years after working for an airline and the pay was fantastic!

But if you are one of those who gripe about working nights, holidays and weekends you will hate it because 75 % of the world does not believe in the same God you do. So you can bank on being on the road for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter.

And if you are in a place that does share your religious beliefs, you will spend that special day alone in a hotel room watching MSNBC over & over and scrounging for cashews out of your room's minibar because nothings is open for business.

I have since learned that I am content to work any days on any shift while making enough to pay my bills, buy just a couple things we want and be able to salt a little away. Just so long as I know I'll be home at the end of my day.

Small typo there, that 13-17 was the hourly rate which equates to 28-37k/yearly. Still sucks!!! Let see, do I want to turn wrenches on cars for more $$$ and 5 day normal work week or work on A/C 3rd shift, working the majority of holidays and tues-wed off.....tough decision?????
"SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to work in a fast-paced environment handling multiple tasks with a high degree of attention to detail. May be required to work nights, weekends and holidays." ----- As I sit at home today (Turkey Day) with temperatures steady around 34 or slowly falling. North winds 15 to 25 mph...becoming northwest 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 60 percent - I laugh at this job posting -All for 13/hr ? Oh, I forgot - you might get T & 1/2 day for working the holiday. Whoop-de-doo! PS: I started off in 1986 at 12.03/hr with all the bells and whistles. My how avition has advanced :down:

The government backs the outsourcing of America's safety. When the tragedy occurs, they will simply be out of town vs. facing the music. The FAT, credit addicted, CHEAP fare driven mentality of Americans will simply say "what a shame" as they board another outsourced kept airliner with the potential of falling out of the sky.

American workers (while slaving to enrich the highest paid CEO's in the world) have fallen so far behind European workers in pay and benefits it is a joke to call this country a Democracy.

When half the country is blind enough to vote in a man who can't find his way home in the dark...for a SECOND time. Who's main purpose as leader is to enrich his friends through ANY means...including WAR. It leads to low wages for even the most skilled.

It is not surprising to see this pay being offered to the people that literally save lives and ensure safety. It's part of the SLAVE mentality of Corporate America that has always existed, but has gone unchecked since NAFTA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back