Senior
Oct 27, 2006
Tuesday AM, March 13, 2007

Dear All,

A Winning Hat Trick For Inflight

“I skate to where the puck will be, not where it’s been.â€

â€You'll miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.â€

-- Wayne Gretzky

The light at the end of tunnel just got brighter. Guarded faith in Delta’s ability to manage its managers took a quantum leap forward this month.

It comes in the crafted formation of the new leadership trilogy for Inflight.

The potential winning hat trick is led by Joanne Smith, Sandy Gordon, and Tim Mapes.

Life – in the form of respect and reasonable consideration for the issues that effect the Flight Attendants now has the best chance possible -- in the past decade -- to take a significant, positive turn.

Pay is generally at the top of most people’s list – and will be addressed in the very near term as we exit Chapter 11. We all want to be compensated for the dedicated, professional work we do and experience we bring to the workplace.

But equally important is the feeling your employer values your consistent contribution to help oil the machine as it operates daily – one flight, one passenger -- at a time. Unlike most other businesses in America -- there are no days off -- like holidays or weekends -- and customer service is the mission 100% of the time.

However – to care about others – someone has to care about you, too – and back it up.

We believe the prospects for a more considerate, more respectful, and more fulfilling career as a Delta Flight Attendant just got better.

We will comment further in this area as action replaces words -- but know at the outset Delta has just placed – for the first time in a long time -- three sharp people who “get it†– in this key area. The critical difference? Each are leaders first – and managers second.

Why this took so long is a deeper rooted problem, but is also about to change – maybe.

This is a five-star move -- in the same vein as bringing Glen Hauenstein and Bob Cortelyou in from Continental. Together, like Batman and Robin (without the latex tights) -- the two have completely revamped the deployment of our aircraft assets with intelligent, shrewd maneuvering -- which in turn -- has helped close the massive revenue gap versus our competitors. No doubt they have received much help from the Delta employees who were already in place -- who needed a different vision and insight -- to make a difference.

And the dynamic duo isn't finished. Fending off the Joker (Doug Parker), the Penguin (Needleman), the Riddler (Arpey) and Mr. Freeze (Tilton) is just the beginning. There are more foes to battle on a global scale -- like the MadHatter at Virgin (Fred Reid).

By placing people in these positions like Inflight and Revenue Mgmt. who earn your trust and respect -- a union is not necessary. And let's not kid ourselves. Having ALPA in place didn't save the Delta pilot's pay, pension, or survivor plans. And the retired pilots were dwarf-tossed by their own union as if they never worked a single day at Delta or spent 25-30 years paying dues to support the "brotherhood".

Your best hope is genuine leaders -- Joanne, Sandy, and Tim -- who understand who you are -- and will fight to make Delta a special place to work again -- by playing a new SONG.

It's time to review other departments as well -- and may the others -- be so lucky.

Respectfully, Mike Stark

http://www.afainvestments.com/

IMO, this was a well written piece,..........until I got to the "kool aid" STAIN, at the bottom, where Mr. Stark "urges" that a ..."Union is not necessary".

Maybe Mr. Stark should let the majority of the DL F/a's Decide which road to persue ?

(Maybe Mr. Stark feels that a large group of people, in this case the F/A's, are UNABLE to think for themselves ?)

NH/BB's

IMO, this was a well written piece,..........until I got to the "kool aid" STAIN, at the bottom, where Mr. Stark "urges" that a ..."Union is not necessary".

Maybe Mr. Stark should let the majority of the DL F/a's Decide which road to persue ?

(Maybe Mr. Stark feels that a large group of people, in this case the F/A's, are UNABLE to think for themselves ?)

NH/BB's
;) ;) AMEN... Me thinks this fool has had too much DELDAKOOAID, formerly known as Pawberry Punch!

A couple of thoughts:

First, Mike Stark generally writes balanced stuff. He is neither in managmement's corner nor ALPA's.

Second, if you miss Pawberry, you can find it in the aisle at your local grocery store. I believe that it was Juicy Juice Fruit Punch that was put in the famous purple can.

A couple of thoughts:

First, Mike Stark generally writes balanced stuff. He is neither in managmement's corner nor ALPA's.

Second, if you miss Pawberry, you can find it in the aisle at your local grocery store. I believe that it was Juicy Juice Fruit Punch that was put in the famous purple can.

I remember when I was a youngster flying Delta I could not get enough of that stuff.... and the little mascot was Dusty, the Delta Air Lion.

I will withold comment.....only time will tell, but Mr. Stark really shouldn't be advising flight attendants that they don't need a union. Let them decide for themselves.

Back