A330 history

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
There's a discussion on flyertalk.com that can probably be better answered here....

Since entering service in 2000, has the A330 ever been in scheduled service to BOS, BWI or any Carib island other than SJU? Has it had special charters or brief operations at those places? I didn't think it ever operated scheduled service to anywhere but PIT/PHL/CLT/SJU and the Euro destinations, but maybe there was a brief stint otherwise.

And, when did US start flying 757s nonstop from STT back to PHL. At one point the runway was too short to permit a full GW takeoff so it had to hop over to SJU to fill up. Now it doesn't.

In it's early days it operated PHL-MIA-PHL primarily for cargo and this was prior to it operating to SJU, and went away when PHL-SJU started. Never did BWI or other Carribean, the only other place I can think of it's been that does not have it now is MUC during Oktobefest! I hope that helps ?

LGA777

I'd forgotten about MIA. I do remember that one now, though.

the a330 also flew craf missions(civil reserve air fleet) to kuwait city(kwi) from either staging points in london gatwick (lgw) or rome(fco). i had the opportunity to fly those missions. it also did some craf flts to andrews airforce base, fort hood texas in killeen,riverside ca,langley airforce base in va,it took national guards troops to panama city panama from columbus ohio. oh , i forgot it also flew a craf mission to bosnia from manchester uk (man). if anyone knows of anymore, please let me know.

I believe that the A330 did do proving runs from Bost to phl/clt and MIA. I am not 100% sure but I thought they did that runs as well as may be a west coast trip or two for proving runs

I don't think the 330 has been to BOS but I could be wrong. My only ride to date on the 330 was to/from MIA. I specifically recall a hard landing at PHL--we actually bounced back into the air and then settled down. I remember the wings flexing upon the bounce--you could tell there wasn't much fuel on board.

It would have been nice to have the 330 on transcons as proving runs back when they alternated the 767's on PHL-LAX.

My best to you all....

Yes MIA was one of the main stations in getting the A330 certified, the evacuation test was done in MIA, the primary reason is Airbus has an office and training facility in MIA.

A 330 was damaged during training at MIA, had to ship parts there to get it fixed.

The 330 has also been to Harrisburg (MDT). They would come over and do touch & go's for pilot currency. They would fly over from PHL and stay for an hour or two in the pattern. It was really something to watch.

The 330 has also been to Harrisburg (MDT). They would come over and do touch & go's for pilot currency. They would fly over from PHL and stay for an hour or two in the pattern. It was really something to watch.
Damn! You beat me to it. I had a MDT overnight when those were taking place and we sat at the airport waiting for our deadhead flight and watched. Have to admit, it was pretty cool.

Yes MIA was one of the main stations in getting the A330 certified, the evacuation test was done in MIA, the primary reason is Airbus has an office and training facility in MIA.

I got to particapte in the 330 evac drill at MIA on 670UW. Very interesting and enjoyable afternoon.

Regards

LGA777

I seem to recall that ACY was also used for A330 training early in the program, as it was a quick hop from PHL.

Latest posts

Back