A330s & PHL-LGW route

jerseyfinn

Senior
Mar 19, 2006
NJ USA
Visit site
I'm a little forward-looking here, but thought I would pose the question.

My wife and I are penciling in some 2007 travel dates for the winter for PHL-LGW. I know that in the past there's usually a period in January when they temporarily pull the A330 off the route and substitute a 767 while they do some maintainance on the A330.

Does anyone know when this might happen? We'd rather go over in the A330 and can plan our dates accordingly. We like to travel to the UK in those winter months when the fares are lower and the UGs are easier. We can also get in a few theater runs.

Thanks,

Barry

As far as I know the 330 is pretty much always on LGW. They switch between some cities (MUC and MAD) for seat requirements seasonally but not LGW.

Envoy seats on the 330 are far superior to the 767 FYI.

They are pulling the 330 from the daily SJU flights in November for what I assume is maintenance but I think you are fine going to LGW.

pilot

I'm a little forward-looking here, but thought I would pose the question.

My wife and I are penciling in some 2007 travel dates for the winter for PHL-LGW. I know that in the past there's usually a period in January when they temporarily pull the A330 off the route and substitute a 767 while they do some maintainance on the A330.

Does anyone know when this might happen? We'd rather go over in the A330 and can plan our dates accordingly. We like to travel to the UK in those winter months when the fares are lower and the UGs are easier. We can also get in a few theater runs.

Thanks,

Barry
They pulled the 330 off CLT-LGW last winter for a couple of weeks for maintenance. Not sure if they ever did it in PHL.

They pulled the 330 off CLT-LGW last winter for a couple of weeks for maintenance. Not sure if they ever did it in PHL.

They did this last November. And actually, the PHL-LGW flight was 767 and the CLT flight stayed 330. I flew to LGW via CLT on the 330 and met a friend who flew PHL-LGW on the 330. On the return the 767 had been swapped for the PHL flight. My understanding is that typically the 330 that arrives from PHL turns and heads to CLT and vice versa; however, when this swap happened they had to turn the flight much quicker. If I recall the swap lasted 3 or 4 weeks.

They did this last November. And actually, the PHL-LGW flight was 767 and the CLT flight stayed 330. I flew to LGW via CLT on the 330 and met a friend who flew PHL-LGW on the 330. On the return the 767 had been swapped for the PHL flight. My understanding is that typically the 330 that arrives from PHL turns and heads to CLT and vice versa; however, when this swap happened they had to turn the flight much quicker. If I recall the swap lasted 3 or 4 weeks.

That doesnt sound very cost effective. Bringing the 767 from CLT with a CLT crew, to have them return stateside via PHL then deadhead? them home to CLT and vice versa. Deadhead is what it is called when the crew ride as passengers, yes?

The crews RON in LGW, two new crews take the flights, a CLT crew takes the CLT flight and the PHL takes the LGW flight.

They do not fly to LGW then right back to the states.