Atw Mag Adv Phl Airport Makes No Mention Of Us

PI-RDU-SS

Aug 20, 2002
Dear All:
I just got my May edition of Air Transport World magazine. This is the top airline magazine for management all over the world. (I do know US has not had any management for many years but I did see how much the PHL Airport Auth. (LUVS) SWA and not USAirways. On page 31 it has full page adv. "Buy Low, Fly High" It mentions every new low fare carrier serving PHL and does not mention US in it's ad or on it's website. It even has SWA and Frontiers icons to click straight to their websites to book. Never did see US mentioned anywhere.

I was wondering if this shows the relationship US has with the PHL Airport Authority or they are helping the new carriers serving the PHL market. I know they are helping the LCC's, but somebody should put the heat on them from CCY to make the adv. a little more balanced. I am sure that some of that adv. was paid for by US money in terms of lease payments for gates. That money had to help pay for this adv. indirectly. It is also an idicator that Dave really did make people in PIT and PHL mad in his my way or highway negotiations tactics.

I have never been a US fan even the 1 1/2 years I worked for them but I did feel this get someones attn. I can relate as when AA came to RDU and wanted the RDU-LGW route, the RDU Airport Auth. spent funds against Piedmont for the route. We were by far the largest carrier at RDU and thus knew we financed the RDU Airport and competition attempt to get route. I know there were many calls made to RDU about the adv's they ran from PI Management.

In the end it did turn out all right as little old PI won the route. (Only to be given to BA by US.) Former Sr. VP of Ops for PI (Gordon Bethune) testified that the plan AA had proposed was a flt schedule that would have had the AA 767 flying 3/4 the way from RDU-LGW and would have to turn around over the pond. It never would have made it to LGW. We even got Boeing to testify that the 767 could not do what AA had proposed.

US should go to PHL Airport Authority and talk. I know that SWA is going to do good things for PHL market but they should have to pay for the adv's and websites.

Best of luck to the former PI family and US emp's with your future

Regards,
PI-RDU-SS

The PHL airport authority is a bunch of patronage hacks who do the bidding of the head goon, Mayor John Street.

SWA probably paid him off...or U didn't. One or the other.

I dont like Mayor Street at all, but what the Philly airport authority is doing what they should be doing. They've been dying for low-fare carriers for years and now they are finally getting them. They are just trying to attract new service that will bring much lower fares to PHL and probably raise O&D numbers.

Don't expect the PHL authority to be completely loyal to US, because then they'll be screwed if US ever goes under. However, by no means is Philly becoming disloyal to US. They don't want to be stuck like PIT might be if US downsizes to a focus city. PIT has little presence from other carriers, sure other carriers will expand if US downsizes but probably not even close to the amount officials want to see.

Latest posts