Which A/c Fly Where?

ISP

Senior
Apr 3, 2003
How come during the past winter months when US wasn't flying PHL-DUB/SNN/GLA and there were some 767's available for domestic service, LAX didn't get a 767 like it had in all the years past? Seems like "first class" might make some more money on those routes, especially in a 767, than PHL/CLT-MCO.

Also, when US flew the A330 domestically for a short time PHL-MIA, where those crews being paid at an international rate? I know US only has the single rating for the 330, and I was wondering if there ever was a domestic pay scale in the past. Does anyone think there may be a domestic 330 payscale in the future? I know there was some talk about that in the past.

Thanks as always for your insightful responses!

ringmaruf is right
I know in the winter US adds 762's on PHL/CLT-MCO, an extra PHL-SJU flt, CLT/PHL-CUN, and PHL-NAS. Not sure about STT

Putting the 762 on a high volume, high yield route like CUN and STT in season makes some sense. I doubt there's anyone who paid less than $450(RT) for their seat. My hunch is that the overall average fare is higher on those routes than PHL/CLT/PIT - LAX. I'm not quite sure about using a 767 to MCO, though. Those fares are typically lower. I guess the demand is there.

Not sure about the pilots but the F/As are paid domestic pay when working a domestic 330 trip, just like the 76. The A330s have also ocassionally done some CLT-PHL (and maybe PIT?) as revenue repositioning flights.

I can't believe they have the demand to put a 762 to STT, considering it was a 300/400 up until a year or so ago. I would think they would send the 767 to the Dominican Republic loaded with cargo.

STT and the nearby islands have been growing as a destination for Americans who want to stay on American soil since 9/11. St. Thomas is also an important port for the cruise industry. In 2000, it was a single 734 from PHL, last year 320s from both PHL and CLT. Over the winter, the equipment was a 762 and 752. Starting tomorrow, 2 752s. We're flying down this Friday and looks like all 185 seats in the back are full both ways and someone is buying at least a couple of expensive seats in front (with only 8 F seats, only 3 advance upgrades or standard free tickets allowed per flight).

CLT-STT is about 1600 miles and PHL-STT is a shade over 1700. Round trips usually start in the $400 range, so the RASM is approx 12 cents for the lowest price seats.

Airways growth in the market appears to be due to no new flights from any of the competition and downsizing of AAs equipment from A300s (2x a day from MIA) to 757s.

Crews go out and back on the same day, eliminating the costs involved in layovers.