AA employee at DFW falls from jetbridge, dies from injuries

Godspeed to him and his family...

I hate to ask, but I was a jetbridge trainer in one of my past lives, and just can't visualize how this would happen if the bridge was all the way up to the aircraft. Was he trying to close the door with a gap between the bridge and doorsill?

Reactions: 1 person
eol.. It wasn't butt up to the airplane... It was a maintenance goldhofer tow.. The gap was probably 1-2 feet from the door.. When he went to close it after taxi personal was off.. he pulled out on the door to engage the handle and apparently his feet slipped...

Jager said:
eol.. It wasn't butt up to the airplane... It was a maintenance goldhofer tow.. The gap was probably 1-2 feet from the door.. When he went to close it after taxi personal was off.. he pulled out on the door to engage the handle and apparently his feet slipped...
After that description, it was like I was there.

I've heard these, to name a few,

"just jump across you wimp"
"put a ladder up and I'll climb down"
"it's the only stair truck that works"
"I don't know how to run this jetway"

There can be no compromise for safety in these situations.

R.I.P.

Reactions: 2 people
thank you for the explanation of how it happened. I was struggling to understand what went wrong.
question... are AA mtc personnel allowed to operate jetways?

very sad situation and may it not ever happen again. anywhere.

Eternal peace to a dedicated, lifelong AA employee and to his family and coworkers.

I trust that they will be well cared for by all that are close to the situation.

WorldTraveler said:
thank you for the explanation of how it happened. I was struggling to understand what went wrong.
question... are AA mtc personnel allowed to operate jetways?

yes there are mechanics allowed and trained to move jetbridges as part of the maintnenance move team functions.

Just goes to show that no matter what you do working around aircraft and supporting equipment, this is a very unforgiving business.

RIP!

Real tired said:
After that description, it was like I was there.

I've heard these, to name a few,

"just jump across you wimp"
"put a ladder up and I'll climb down"
"it's the only stair truck that works"
"I don't know how to run this jetway"

There can be no compromise for safety in these situations.

R.I.P.
I have done that same move hundreds of times.

That rubber bumper is slick as ice when wet.

I also hate to admit the amount of times I have jumped from the doorway to the bridge after a maintenance move. Gate agents are sparse for those ops.

This could be one of us being discussed.

So sad.

Glenn Quagmire said:
I have done that same move hundreds of times.

That rubber bumper is slick as ice when wet.

I also hate to admit the amount of times I have jumped from the doorway to the bridge after a maintenance move. Gate agents are sparse for those ops.

This could be one of us being discussed.

So sad.
I am sure that was when you were young and invincible... :p

Its difficult to see this thread turn Into a how It happened and assign blame. Dave was a safe guy, and accidents occur as a result of a chain of events.

I think this forum would be better served by an out pouring of prayers and thoughts for the mans family. He was a loved guy in DFW Maintenance, one that never failed to brighten a room in a dark and dreary place. He will be missed.

Reactions: 7 people
Sorry, I don't see any intent to try and place blame here, Conehead. It's a horrible situation, and if knowing how it happened means that others think twice before getting into a similar situation, that serves a purpose as well.

Reactions: 11 people
DallasConehead said:
Its difficult to see this thread turn Into a how It happened and assign blame. Dave was a safe guy, and accidents occur as a result of a chain of events.

I think this forum would be better served by an out pouring of prayers and thoughts for the mans family. He was a loved guy in DFW Maintenance, one that never failed to brighten a room in a dark and dreary place. He will be missed.
Well said.
Thoughts and prayers for him and his family!
Everyone be safe out there!
B) xUT

DallasConehead said:
I agree. Have seen two photos of him and in both he had a big smile on his face which leads me to believe he was a great individual with a kind soul!
Thoughts and Prayers for all who miss him..

Just FYI, per usual I have now heard 3 different versions of how this happened.  As E said above, what difference does it make?  A fellow employee had an accident and died.  Unless, there is a specific lesson to be learned, we need to let it go and think what we can do for the family--even if it's just remember them in prayer.