AA exec leaves to head DL backed Virgin Atlantic

Met the guy, wasn't impressed. I suspect he wants back into the UK "upper class" living he enjoyed during his AA days. Why not, he already lined his pockets with AA's cash. Now that that well is dry, time to move on. Probably a decent choice. Although I'm sure Branson could have found someone who hadn't already hit the ceiling at AA. Kreeger was done moving up at this place. C'est la vie, to any of the others that want to leave, writing is on the wall. Start packing!

Interesting move, and after Dave Cush, makes the second AA exec to head up a Branson backed company.

He was all about the customer experience lately, so if AA is merging with US, well, perhaps he sees there's not much point in focusing on the customer experience...

I worked with Craig on a couple projects -- I agree that he probably didn't come off as impressive, because he wasn't about trying to impress people. He just got things done without the pomp & circumstance BS that others (like Garton & Del Valle?) were clearly wrapped up in.

In addition to running the international operation for a couple years, he headed up passenger sales and spent some time in revenue management.

Maybe, he purchased his former London flat from AA. For as much as Branson bad mouths BA/AA and american airline service, he sure does like AA executives!

• Banned
I suspect E's assessment is accurate.
The guy probably got a hefty pay raise and a lot more responsibilities plus the challenge of turning VS around while VS gets someone who has pretty decent knowledge not only of AA (and not just its LHR operation) but also alot about BA which VS certainly would like - and comes in all the more valuable as VS develops partnerships with DL and potentially Skyteam. Kreeger was involved in implementation of ATI and the JV between AA/BA.

VS will be a whole lot less focused on trying to impress externally and a whole lot more focused on running a profitable, strong business.

Some of the best executives in the industry have AA on their resume at some point.

Maybe he just misses home, he is from England.

http://finance.yahoo...-120000811.html

And I see you couldnt resist putting DL in the thread.

VS is 51% itself and 49% DL, its not DL backed, DL bought Singapore's stake, no money went to VS, it went to SQ.

The world doesnt revolve around DL.

He was all about the customer experience lately, so if AA is merging with US, well, perhaps he sees there's not much point in focusing on the customer experience...

In addition to running the international operation for a couple years, he headed up passenger sales and spent some time in revenue management.

Interesting point there, the same that many FF have feared.......that the introduction of US culture will destroy teh customer service aspect of the airline. Great news for DA and UA if you ask me......

I do most of my flying on the internatonal side, and if he was the one calling the shots, he will be missed, as Flagship / International service on AA was CLEARLY the best of the U.S. airlines. Not fact, just IMHO.

Cheers,
777 / 767 / 757

How do you know it will be US culture?

No one knows if a merger will happen, and who will lead the company and what direction they will take.

If a merger happens, the new AA will have to have service equal too or above the UA and dl.

• Banned
The world is globalizing and no US company can succeed in the international market by reflecting totally the US culture - and none of AA, BA, DL, and VS are monocultural.

if it is lost on you that VS was looking to gain insight from the largest US carrier in the UK which happens to be allied with the largest UK carrier and VS' chief competitor, then the significance of this announcement went totally over your head. Multiple news sources note the DL-VS linkage in the announcement.

VS has decided to pursue a deep level of cooperation with another carrier for the first time in its history and that other carrier has bought up to the legal maximum allowed and has 3 of the 7 seats on VS' boards. VS has been looking for a means to gain an advantage against BA and limit BA's strength for decades and DL's investment in VS and the JV most certainly means that whatever gains VS makes will be shared with DL.

VS has been carefully plotting its turnaround plan and the DL investment, the JV w/ DL, and the change of CEOs is all connected, as much as you want to pretend it isn't.

and yes AA has been very careful to protect and grow its international service and it is the backbone of AA's turnaround plan. LHR is AA's largest foreign station and most valuable market.

Met the guy, wasn't impressed. I suspect he wants back into the UK "upper class" living he enjoyed during his AA days. Why not, he already lined his pockets with AA's cash. Now that that well is dry, time to move on. Probably a decent choice. Although I'm sure Branson could have found someone who hadn't already hit the ceiling at AA. Kreeger was done moving up at this place. C'est la vie, to any of the others that want to leave, writing is on the wall. Start packing!

Don't fear, you're about to get a new CEO who happens to be another returning AA washout who hit his peak in 1991 when he left AA after less than five years to go to a near-bankrupt Northwest. I doubt he was in a position to be all that choosy. A few years later, he ended up at America West. Apparently, everybody's hero Crandall (he walks on water around here) thought more of the management skills of Carty, Arpey and Horton. :D

I am not a Parker fan, but he has made US profitable, can you say the same about AA?

And Horton must be a has been too since he left AA and came back, and the employees certainly love him dont they now?

Kreeger isn't from the UK, his replacement is. Shook? And Manchester to be exact.

Not really blasting the guy, but didn't AA just get the label of rudest employees, and if he is in charge of customer service, isn't that a black eye on his leadership? Also who would want an executive from an airline that went BK recently?

God bless him, I wish him well.

I'm happy with anyone that gets away with more than just a case of sour grapes.

I think he made the right decision.Run !!!!! it seems to be in the water.It's clear to me in these posts that the ex employee's have no idea just how bad thing's have become.Just a simple task has become monumental.I have seen a simple rug change in a aircraft take well over a hour and a half. Sad sad sad.You just have to shake your head.

Back