AA Flight 1740 LAX-ORD

Nor'Easta

Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
American Airlines Statement Regarding Flight 1740

FORT WORTH , Texas – June 20, 2006:

Flight 1740, an American Airlines MD-80 aircraft en route from Los Angeles to Chicago, was involved in a safe emergency landing this morning at Chicago O’Hare International Airport. There were no injuries among the 131 passengers and 5 crew members.

At approximately 6:15 a.m., pilots from Flight 1740 indicated a mechanical issue involving the nose gear of the aircraft. After a fly-by by the air traffic control tower, the pilots confirmed the nose gear was not lowered and locked.

The pilots and crew followed American Airlines emergency procedures and executed a flawless landing without use of the nose gear. The aircraft came to a safe stop on runway 14 Right. The 131 passengers and 5 crew members deplaned the rear exit stairs. There appears to be no damage to the runway and minimal damage to the aircraft.

American Airlines officials are in direct contact with representatives of the National Transportation Safety Board. American is cooperating fully with federal, state and local authorities.

I cant wait to see our resident SCAB/Troll, PTO's comment. Get a life you SCAB!

SCAB[/b]!
You have me all wrong Nor'Easta, Actually I am very impressed with you coming forth with such an issue. You see I understand the fact that these are very large and complicated pieces of machinery and that shet happens. I do not hide under a veil of unionism that makes me think that I am perfect and nothing will ever go wrong with the aircraft I service. As mechanics we will never be able to stop incidences such as this from happening. The cards are stacked against us. All we can do is try to minimize such incidences as much as possible. For some one to say that such things will never happen to them are simply setting themselves up for certain failure. All we can do is learn from such failures.

Any preliminaries as to what went wrong?

I do not hide under a veil of unionism that makes me think that I am perfect and nothing will ever go wrong with the aircraft I service.

For some one to say that such things will never happen to them are simply setting themselves up for certain failure. All we can do is learn from such failures.

What an ass.....
Gotta put a dig into the union worker every chance you can.
Just go away. DO IT QUIETLY....Go....Shew....

Can you blame PTO for saying that? If a windowshade at NWA doesn't work somebody gets on here claiming the plane is going to hit a mountain. There was another thread that claimed the whole thing was the result of maintenance cutbacks.

Great landing, a few sparks for the 4th of July. The real problem people should wonder about is what happens to the aircraft? Does it get fixed or retired with the others AA is retiring???